OT: "Classic" band that you just cannot stand?

Red Ant

• Members
Steely Dan, Chicago, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, probably a lot more I can't think of...

I can agree on the greatful dead but the Dan Chicago and BB&HC are some of my all time favorites. BB&HC guitarist James Gurley's guitar sound is what inspired me to play guitar. and terry Kath? come on!! even Hendrix didn't want to follow him on stage

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a love/hate thing with the Dead... which makes sense as they were the most inconsistent band I can think of.

I have to confess that I see the Dead as the quintessential stoner band. Back in the late 1980's I recorded one of their concerts off of PBS for a friend that had "Box of Rain" played at his wedding. His wife was a "twirler". Deadheads will get it.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to finally spend some time to see what all the excitement was about this band. I got through a couple of songs and changed the channel on the tv while the VCR continued recording. To me, it was mind-numbingly bad music. It was like a bunch of musicians getting togehter and smoking a couple of joints and then jamming. I was into things lie Genesis, Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Renaissance, Chicago, BS&T, classical music, Return to Forever, etc. I figured if I smoked a joint I might have gotten into it, but that train left the station in 1977.

Then again, maybe I'm a little bit of a snob, like the 18 year old piano player in our 50's rock band. He was classically trained and thought it was beneath him to play Jerry Lee Lewis. But since the band was part of his home schooling he was stuck. :)

• Members

I have a love/hate thing with the Dead... which makes sense as they were the most inconsistent band I can think of.

they wouldn't be so bad if they didn't noodle so much. play something already :mad: 20 minutes of crappy noodling doesn't do a thing for me.

and that weir guy thinks he walks on water.

• Members

I can agree on the greatful dead but the Dan Chicago and BB&HC are some of my all time favorites. BB&HC guitarist James Gurley's guitar sound is what inspired me to play guitar. and terry Kath? come on!! even Hendrix didn't want to follow him on stage

Did Gurley do the solo on Summertime? I heard a BB&HC song on the radio the guitar playing was amazing

• Moderators

they wouldn't be so bad if they didn't noodle so much. play something already :mad: 20 minutes of crappy noodling doesn't do a thing for me.

and that weir guy thinks he walks on water.

I absolutely can't stand Weir. His playing, his singing, his sh*tty attitude....

• Members

From what I hear, Zager's guitars are worse than his music. :D

He takes average (at best) guitars, lowers the action and triples (or more) the price. If it cost him $200 he sells it for $7-800.

Calls them Zager EZ-play. or Zagerized. Nothing a $60 setup couldn't do.

• Members

I saw the Grateful Dead live once, sometime in the late 1970's. I liked the opening act, New Riders of the Purple Sage, a lot. The Dead , meh. The guy behind me kept yelling "Saint Stephen" after every song but they never played it.

Steely Dan, Chicago, Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, probably a lot more I can't think of...

Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands. Chicago was a big band for me too, although I never thought they were the same after Terry Kath died and Peter Cetera went wuss.

I could take or leave the Dead, depending on how well they did that day. As Anton said, they're about as inconsistent as any band ever to step on a stage... and they were all about the stage. Forget studio recordings - stick to the better bootlegs.

The one classic rock band I really never got at all (with the exception of maybe one or two songs) is the Doors. I still think they're generally way over-rated. YMMV.

Sorry to be repetitive, but Styx, Foreigner and AC/DC. They actually played "Mr. Roboto" on our (iHeart) 'classic rock' station last week. :eek:

I'm with you on two out of the three, but AC/DC does have some redeeming merit IMHO. The other two bands? I'd be totally cool with it if I never heard anything from either of them again.

• Members

I actually don't have any strong feelings one way or the other on CCR. When I started listening to 'classic rock' circa 1996, they were a 'meh' band to me. They weren't incredible like Hendrix or Floyd, but weren't ear curdling like later stuff (Boston, Journey). They were just kinda 'plain'.... Back then when I was much more synesthetic, I wanted the colorful stuff filled with effects. A plain crunchy guitar (or steel string electric) just sounded gray/white--not purple of blue or orange like the soaked or distorted guitars. I've changed my tune over the years; I appreciate appreciating the less effected guitars; but I dearly miss seeing music as colors rather than as amps/effects/notes/intervals.... Goshdarn knowledge. You ruin everything.

• Members

Question for you, gubu.

Do you play electric guitar?

Drums?

Yes. Neither Moon nor Townshend resonate with me at all. And as for the lead singer! I just don't get what they were trying to do. It sounds like a mishmash of unoriginality.

• Members

Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands. Chicago was a big band for me too, although I never thought they were the same after Terry Kath died and Peter Cetera went wuss.

I could take or leave the Dead, depending on how well they did that day. As Anton said, they're about as inconsistent as any band ever to step on a stage... and they were all about the stage. Forget studio recordings - stick to the better bootlegs.

The one classic rock band I really never got at all (with the exception of maybe one or two songs) is the Doors. I still think they're generally way over-rated. YMMV.

Man, you hit the nail on the head there. I loved Chicago in high school, but when my wife wanted to use a Peter Cetera song to open our wedding reception we nearly got divorced 30 minutes after we were married.

• Members

I said I didn't care for last century's bands but CCR reminds me, I like CCR. Guess Who was good for the odd album, I forget the title(s) Undun, These Eyes, American Woman etc... All of Zep through IV but no futher. Chicago was a fave too, then I hated the horns, then David Foster made me like again, then I went back to apathy. No Doors love but I never head a Doors tune I didn't like.

Dead was boring. There was an undocumented chemical interface required; I wunt about to go there.

I actually don't have any strong feelings one way or the other on CCR. When I started listening to 'classic rock' circa 1996, they were a 'meh' band to me. They weren't incredible like Hendrix or Floyd, but weren't ear curdling like later stuff (Boston, Journey). They were just kinda 'plain'.... Back then when I was much more synesthetic, I wanted the colorful stuff filled with effects. A plain crunchy guitar (or steel string electric) just sounded gray/white--not purple of blue or orange like the soaked or distorted guitars. I've changed my tune over the years; I appreciate appreciating the less effected guitars; but I dearly miss seeing music as colors rather than as amps/effects/notes/intervals.... Goshdarn knowledge. You ruin everything.

I prefer describing it as more "stripped down" - not a bunch of studio production and processing, not a ton of effects, just good (for the most part) songs presented simply and competently. For me, Fogerty's voice was a big part of the appeal. Plus, he wasn't a half-bad guitarist - heck, he's a dang genius compared to some of his contemporaries - like Robbie Krieger.

Archived