OT: "Classic" band that you just cannot stand?

Red Ant

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" is an absolute masterpiece. Then inarticulate garbage till another peak with Meddle. Dark Side is likewise a masterpiece, just not one I care to ever hear again :lol:

"Animals" has some real standout moments, but its like you said... ponderous.

The Wall is 4 sides of "I'm a whiny b*tch", broken by "Young Lust" which is a killer rock song :)

Yes -- that is correct. Love that one. An exception to the rule. One of Gilmour's best and most underrated solos IMO, and the outro is just straight up funky.

Wish they'd done more like that....

• Members
There is so much classic rock I couldn't stand back in the day, and the same holds for the present. I was so glad when that era was over.. . . a bunch of sh!t music. Here's a partial list to start.

Stones

The (Sh!t) Band

Doobie (Smeg-For-Brains) Brothers

Doors

Aerosmith

Pink Floyd

Eagles

Donovan

Todd (Fookhead) Rundgren

Electric Light (bulb up your ass) Orchestra

Jackson (Sh!tface) Browne

Bob Seger

Moody Blues

Procol Harem

Paul Simon

Simon and Garfunkle

KISS

Steely Dan

Janis Joplin

Tom Petty and Heartbreakers

Greatful Dead

Van Morrison

Paul McCartney

CCR

Fleetwood Mac

John Lennon

Bob Dylan

The Who

The Beatles

. . . any kind of crappy folk or disco music.

I've already mentioned the Doors and the Stones. Your list reminded me of the one I put at the very top: The Band. I bought The Last Waltz and was dumbfounded by the raw suck produced by that drug addled group. And to make it worse, a lot of it was overdubbed.

The rest of your list is stuff I really like, somewhat like, am not crazy about or am neutral on. Only three groups rise to the level of "hate", regarding their sound.

Art is subjective, so I cut most of them a huge amount of slack.

• Members
For me......just about any Praise/Worship band.

I've heard a lot of them. Some are beyond terrible, but some are really excellent. What I can't stand is when the "excellent" ones go into 20 minutes of scatting at the end of a song. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

• Members

I've already mentioned the Doors and the Stones. Your list reminded me of the one I put at the very top: The Band. I bought The Last Waltz and was dumbfounded by the raw suck produced by that drug addled group. And to make it worse, a lot of it was overdubbed.

The rest of your list is stuff I really like, somewhat like, am not crazy about or am neutral on. Only three groups rise to the level of "hate", regarding their sound.

Art is subjective, so I cut most of them a huge amount of slack.

Do you think The Last Waltz is the only "live" album to have over dubs?

• Members

Do you think The Last Waltz is the only "live" album to have over dubs?

No. but it was so excruciatingly painfully obvious.

I noticed in the U2 concert at the Rose Bowl during "Vertigo" that the large oval TV was spread out from top to bottom one minute, and compressed to the bottom the next. i.e. they mixed scenes where you could not see what they were playing to give the song visual excitement.

And the Eagles concert in Austrailia, in one song, Joe Walsh's guitar changes from gray to black and gray again a few times. Obviously they had used scenes from different nights shows to use the best video.

Those are just a couple of examples.

But in The Last Waltz, it was like watching a band lip synch in the early 60's American Band Stand. It did not even feel live. It was missing what I look for in a live recording - the kernel of why I buy them in the first place.

• Members
Do you know what Sacred Harp Singing is in the Primitive Baptist Church tradition?

I love Sacred Harp (or Old Harp, or shape-note) singing. My great-great grandfather founded the Enon Primitive Baptist Church in Houston Mississippi and my uncle still sings Old Harp there. Been to a couple of sings at Enon and the history and etymology of the style still fascinates me.

• Members

I love Sacred Harp (or Old Harp, or shape-note) singing. My great-great grandfather founded the Enon Primitive Baptist Church in Houston Mississippi and my uncle still sings Old Harp there. Been to a couple of sings at Enon and the history and etymology of the style still fascinates me.

flemtone, Can you suggest a youtube of a good example of what you're referring to?

• Members

flemtone, Can you suggest a youtube of a good example of what you're referring to?

A quickie explanation of Sacred Harp (or 'Old Harp' or 'Shape Note' singing):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Harp

Check out the first link for a video explanation of Sacred Harp and its resurgence in popular culture:

The 2nd link shows a group of singers introducing a song via shape-note singing (do-re-mi, etc) to set the parts, then the lyrics in place.

This 3rd shows the volume achieved by a small group in a typical Primitive Baptist setting:

The last has some very sweet harmonies in the shape-note style.

This style was for people who, for the most part, were extremely rural and many didn't know how to read, much less read music. The shape-notes gave them a starting point to learn notes and positioning on a musical staff.

I hear a lot of Celtic influence as well as a lot of similarities with sea shanties and other non-schooled a cappella group singing. I just find it a real unvarnished slice of history.

Archived