OT: "Classic" band that you just cannot stand?

Red Ant

• Members

I love Krieger's solo on Light My Fire.

He had an outside-the-box way of playing that suited the Doors.

Yeah... call me crazy, but in the budding days of (white people playing) electrified blues/rock, most (white) players (on now-classic recordings) were figuring things out, making up a new style that took the blues style/articulation and applied it to a STRAIGHT BEAT(!!) without the usual blues chords. So at that point, somehow a simple player like Eric Clapton could be a god.

Krieger otoh pursued some jazz influence. He hits a few (a FEW) bum notes on those recordings, and they stick out cuz on records,we're now accustomed to 'perfect' performances (thanks overdubbing!). BUT Krieger also plays a greater variety of notes and goes through more interesting harmonic progression hoops than the blusier players. Sure, Jimi tops em all, but among the others, Krieger is a fave of mine. (Yes, you could find far superior jazz guitarists at the time and before... but a bebop record can get old fast.)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't 'get' The Doors when they were doing their thing - for the same reasons cited in the OP - but, when I got a Fender Rhodes in the mid-seventies, I borrowed the album with 'Riders On The Storm' and started hearing things I liked.

Since then, I've played a lot of Doors songs in cover bands and always been able to find someting worthwhile in each one of them.

• Members

Yeah. I never listened or liked them much on my own. My friends roped me into doing a Rumours cover last halloween, and it was fun cuz I got to use my Traynor for classic crunchy tones... and even though I never really liked the songs, turns out that I already had the solos memorized in my head from years of overplay on classic rock radio. The strange thing was hearing that all these kids currently in their mid 20s were huge fans! My parents were stuck on Bob Dylan and Motown. 10 years younger and the kids' parents all listened to coked out folk rock.

• Members
For me its The Doors, hands down. Between JM's drunken mewl, his pseudo-poetry lyrical meanderings, Ray's stiff-@$$ playing with the hideous Vox organ sound, and Krieger's cringe-worthy guitaring, its just a horror show for me. Densmore's alright though, dude was a good swingin' drummer.

Then there's their love for Kurt Veil. Oh and no bass. :mad:

Go...

The stuff by the Doors that I like is some of my favorite 'classic rock' - Love Me Two Times, Riders on the Storm, People Are Strange, Love Her Madly, Soul Kitchen. Great tunes and I like the fact that Morrison was sort of a proto-goth, though that's probably another reason you'd hate him. :D

And Manzarek produced all those great albums by X.

Same goes for Yes. Most of it I find unlistenable, but there are ten tracks or so that are some of my favorite music EVER. Gates of Delirium, Siberian Khatru, Parallels, Going for the One, Close to the Edge, etc. But yeah, it's totally "Elf Rock." Haha. Exactly what I like about it! :D

The only classic rock band I can't stand is probably Rush. Though there are things about Rush that I like -- Lifeson has some interesting approaches to guitar, and I like Geddy Lee's bass playing. The problem is the writing and above all, the drumming. :facepalm: Ugh. Peart might be my least favorite drummer of all time. (The stuff before he joined is actually kinda cool for what it was.)

If I had to listen only to classic rock, I'd probably shoot myself, but overall there's a lot of good in there, especially from the standpoint of musicianship.

• Members
Oh and no bass. :mad:

Go...

Well, I'm not sure about that. Carol Kaye sat at my desk back I '96 and produced a copy of her studio log that said she played bass on the recording of "Light My Fire" as well as on Jose Feliciano's cover of it. That's what she told me.

• Members

Yeah, probably Bruce Springsteen. Just does nothing for me. Years ago I would have said the Beatles, but just the sheer breadth of their material means there's stuff in there for just about everyone. Love me some "I Am the Walrus." Love me some "Peace Frog" too. No hate for The Doors. :)

• Members

Most of the bands from the 70s, 80, 90s (I'm pretty sure there were bands in the 90s) do nothing for me. No hate; I save that for relevant stuff. Lot of the hits are real catchy though and I actually like hundreds of songs. Well scores for sure.

• Members
Fleetwood Mac. The worst thing about them is Stevie Nicks' whiny vocals. I also have a special dislike for the Steve Miller Band. When they sing ''Jet Airliner' date=''' the ''liner'' part rhymes with ''rhino'' as in ''jet air-lino.'' It just grates on my nerves.[/quote']

There are many different kinds of rhymes. If you exclude all but identical rhymes, I can see your point, but there are probably others that you like but don't realize they fail your standard.

As to Fleetwood Mac, my favorite album of theirs, Bare Trees, doesn't have Stevie Nicks or Lindsey Buckingham. I do really like Buckingham's finger style playing.

• Moderators

Well, I'm not sure about that. Carol Kaye sat at my desk back I '96 and produced a copy of her studio log that said she played bass on the recording of "Light My Fire" as well as on Jose Feliciano's cover of it. That's what she told me.

Carol told me about the Feliciano session bur not the original. She also claims to have played the bass on "I was made to love her" ;)

I love Carol, but she's an ornery old lady :lol:

On the other hand, Harvey Brooks definitely played bass on the Doors' later work.

Archived