Hot or Not?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hot hot hot.... any see through color with lots of wood grain gets my love...

i have an unloved 3tonesunburst strat, where i have spent a lots of thoughts about refinishing it but i have not workshop for stripping the paint and doing the paint shop... hmmm

• Members

I've played 50's guitars. None of them had hippie hand-rubbed finishes that didn't sand smooth. It's hard to say from just a picture, but it LOOKS like you can feel the grain under the finish, like the BFG guitars. It doesn't hurt, it's just annoying as {censored} and felt like a cheap POS. It's all just {censored}ing speculation because none of us has {censored}ing touched the thing, have we? I wonder why the {censored} I bother sometimes. You're all just a bunch of silly cunts.

• Members

First comment - don't like. Either the color or the texture or the grain. Sorry, not my cuppa.

Second, trying to learn a little more about the product I tired Mikeo's link which gave me an error message. However I did find this as one of the distributors of the product

http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitar_Kits/Finishing-Supplies/Wudtone-Finishes/Body-Finishing-Kits.aspx

There is a very brief and not very informative vid in at least one of the color options, but that lead to another video from another UK company called Dingotone with a similar product (and more information)

[video=youtube_share;KSfFbCbYxBk]

Third, my comments based on the little bit I know about finishing and these vids.

We all know that home finishing is one of the very hardest parts about building or repairing a guitar. I'll be very blunt - I've seen very few home finished guitars that impressed me. We simply don't have the equipment or patience to get professional finishes. Most home finishers accept that they will not get a high gloss deep finish like the pros so they settle for "satin" or "semi gloss" using something that can be applied without a spray gun. These finishes fit that description.

The second thing that is hard about home finishing is doing anything that will highlight the grain. Professionals use all sorts of stains and grain filling products to pop the figure on maple, koa or other highly figured wood - there is almost as much magic as science to getting a finish like PRS or some of the old Gibson 'bursts. These products seem to offer a way for the home finisher to get some stain into the grain and figure of her guitar without messing around with all the dyes and stains that the pros use.

The next thing that is hard about diy finishes is getting color into the finish itself - reds and ambers and all the other colors are frankly very hard to spray evenly. You want a transparent finish so the grain comes thru but you also want even color in the overall finish. These products seem to offer that.

The manufactures don't tell us exactly what these products are - I'm guessing some sort of polymerized tung or linseed oil - possibly something like TruOil gun stock oil. If so, that is a popular home product that is relatively easy to apply and gives what might be acceptable results. I used TruOil once and was extremely disappointed with it - I ended up stripping it off and doing the finish in nitro (which I know, trust, love and can shoot with no problems).

So, bottom line, I haven't tried these but they might offer a way for a home builder to do a stain and/or get a color tint in the finish. I'm sure you won't get a deep wet look PRS finish, you may or may not find "semi gloss" acceptable., I would enjoy seeing pictures and comments if anyone does decide to try it.

fwiw - in the next few weeks I'll be doing the red on red finish on the 335 in the current build thread - nitro of course. I'll post pictures of the steps

• Members

not big on the colour but the concept for sure. I'm a firm believer that finish does matter. The thinner the better. And more importantly the more "flexible" the finish the better.

Not that I'd do any of this....but if I were interested in a guitar of theirs, I'd still want to know what is in their finish.

• Members

Thanks for sharing Sean.

These wudtone finishing stuff looks pretty neat - I don't really like that surf green / turquoise strat, but looked at the rest of their stuff on their website, good stuff there.

I love satin type finishes - most of the best guitars I've tried had those. Not the most durable finishes, but they made for the most resonant and lively guitar I've tried to date.

• Members

Gloss finishes are overrated, and can feel sticky by then end of a long sweaty show.

I enjoy both, but Freeman's post and yours reminded me of my first electric guitar. It was a MIJ Prestige that I bought at an AFB Base Exchange back in the very early 70s. I had a hunting style knife fall off a dresser and propelled by gravity it nicked a chip out of that guitar. It wasn't until that moment that I learned positively that the guitar (and electric guitars in general) was made from wood. LOL. But back then everything was being made of plastic and considered "modern" so without a mentor, how would I have known? I mean, it sure didn't look like wood under all that paint. So yeah, I also enjoy a satin finished guitar. It gives you a hair more of a tactile bonding experience with its roots, pun intended.

• Moderators

You know, it's strange that both Fender and Gibson recognise that different people have different tastes.

The BFG is a case in point, they ended up blowing them out, now they sell for more than their original RRP, Gary Moore loved them and after his death Gibson made a Gary M BFG. The SG Zoot Suit was another guitar that heavily polarised players/buyers opinions, again they were blown out, but now very collectible...you can't buy one.

Tom Pettingale got Truoil down to a fine art, and he could make all sorts of figured species 'pop' like no sprayed finish, and there a lot of us, mainly builders, with the tone of the instrument foremost in our minds that are more open minded about finish. I've seen proper luthiers building acoustic guitars, violins, violas, cellos, contrabass's, who'll only put as much finish on the back and sides, ie the figured sycamore/maple to seal the grain which on those species is minute and not measurable with any conventional measuring devices, and the spend ages applying absolutely the minimal amount of finish on that all important spruce top.

My point is that on any instrument tone is paramount, and we finish only as an aesthetic thing. Completely unfinished to the thick polyester plastics or catalysed lacquers that PRS USA use to the thick, thick nitro Gibson started using back in Norlin times, I don't care a jot, but when you've built anything and worked with the wood from an unplaned blank, imo, you're more likely to not want to hide it, and I can guarantee anybody, that if you ran your fingertips over that ash body up there, and close your eyes, it won't feel like the homogeneous gloss of poly, but it'll feel organic, sexy and like wood should...a product of nature

• Members
...The SG Zoot Suit was another guitar that heavily polarised players/buyers opinions, again they were blown out, but now very collectible...you can't buy one.

I've played more than a few Zoots when they were new and then again when they were being blown out. After that, I would occasionally see used Zoots for a couple of years, but haven't seen one for a good while now. Same thing with Reverse Flying Vs. :lol:

All I can say is that I generally kinda sorta liked the Zoot Suite SG, except the weight. The weight of a Zoot Suite SG was basically intolerable. sm-mad

If one was very enthralled by the look of the ol' Zoot Suite, you could manufacure your own thick plywood slab -- lamination by lamination -- and dyeing each lamination purple, red, yellow, green, et cetera, then shaping each lamination, and gluing it all together until you had your SG shaped body.

• Members

Got to go with not, both for texture and color. It looks like something done in watercolor, IMHO, or an old piece of furniture left outside for a while. And I've got to agree with BadPenguin, thr feel would be annoying at best. Ash is not a 'pretty'wood, like maple or koa, so the grain look is off-putting. It could play like buttah, but I'd never hit it to find out. But again, all of this is subjective.

Archived