No announcement yet.

A cool new acoustic from.... Fender?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cool new acoustic from.... Fender?

I know they don't have the greatest of reputations for their acoustic guitars, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Fender Redondo Classic acoustic...

Click image for larger version

Name:	redondo-classic-main-d871753a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	32408805

For all the details, check out my full review:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/exper...edondo-classic

As always, if you have any questions or comments about the guitar or the review, feel free to post them here.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I've played a few Fenders in the past year. They have improved a great deal compared to the older models.
    Howard

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: power attracts pathological personalities." (Frank Herbert)

Comment

I've fixed three Fenders in the past year including a 12 string that blew up while hanging on the music store wall,. They have not improved compared to older models.

And when the owner of the store contacted Fender about a warranty reimbursement they told him "thats the way we make them".

Comment

I guess I'm just a hopeless traditionalist when it comes to guitars.

Do not like.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
        Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
        -Groucho Marx

Comment

Fender needs to leave the acoustic stuff to people who actually care about it.
          - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Did Fender make a thin acoustic similar to Farrington?

Comment

The Redondo Classic is a cool looking guitar. I really like the matching blue headstock! Nice review Phil! I have been on the fence about buying one though. When shopping for my last acoustic I was super intrigued by the Buddy Miller signature and a Custom Shop USA they had used at Gryphon. In the end Fender's acoustic reputation kept me from pulling the trigger on either of those. My real problem is I have never played one! I hope someday Fender will hit some home runs and change the direction of user reviews. They seem to have the look, the Fender name and history, all they need is the quality build and sound!

Comment

Originally posted by nice keetee View Post
                Did Fender make a thin acoustic similar to Farrington?
                They made a Telecoustic and a Stratacoustic - I didn't care for either; to me, they don't sound good acoustically, and they don't really sound any better plugged in.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

• daddymack
                  daddymack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a Stratocoustic, and truly the only way it sounds good is through a TC Body Rez pedal...that pedal can make a ukelele sound like a Gibson jumbo
                  The only Fender acoustic I thought ever sounded like a quality instrument was the old Kingman.

6 inline is just rong.
                Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

My knee jerk reaction is, "but... it's a Fender. "

Being that it's made of solid wood, I'd probably pick it up and try it if I had the opportunity.

I can just imagine the looks I would get if I pulled that thing out of the case at a bluegrass jam session.
                  __________________________________________________ _________
                  Proud reject from the HCAG Civil Posters Society.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFiend. View Post
                    My knee jerk reaction is, "but... it's a Fender. "

Being that it's made of solid wood, I'd probably pick it up and try it if I had the opportunity.

I can just imagine the looks I would get if I pulled that thing out of the case at a bluegrass jam session.
                    I doubt that they were targeting traditionalists with the Redondo Classic... although you could certainly play bluegrass on it if you wanted to, anything with a blue painted top is probably going to get you some strange looks in those circles.

- George Carlin

Comment

Phil, I know that you and some others here probably think of me as a closed minded old curmudgeon, and I probably am. My first reaction was, yeah, its a Fender, Fender doesn't know how to build acoustics, besides look at that color.

However, I happened to be in my music store earlier today and they are a Fender dealer so I went over to the wall to see what all the fuss was about. They have 20 or 30 Fender acoustics but unfortunately none of this new California series. A couple of butt ugly "hellcats" and a few nylon string guitars (I didn't realize Fender made classicals) and a couple of 12 strings, but all the rest had the Taylor looking headstock and were either priced at $199 or 299 (Cx-60xxx model numbers). I actually sat down with a couple of them (see, I really can be open minded) and noodled around. I also played a couple of Yamahas that were on the wall next to them, and for a palate cleanser, a nice Martin OM.

I have to bite my tongue, these were all decent guitars. Uniformly nicely built, they all sounded like a guitar, the finish was shiny, actions were all reasonable. I think they very nicely represent the price point made in China guitars that have come to dominate this part of the market. Would I buy one? No, I'm not in that market. Would I recommend one to a friend? That's harder - no reason not to but my old biases are still there.

If and when the store gets one of the California guitars in stock (is there an irony about a MIC guitar being named after a famous place in Cali?) I will make a point of playing it and bumping this thread.

Now, where is that OM

Comment

Originally posted by FretFiend. View Post
                        . . . I can just imagine the looks I would get if I pulled that thing out of the case at a bluegrass jam session.
                        I thought something similar back when Takamine introduced the "Bluegrass" series. Good as they might be, I can't imagine a serious Bluegrass picker choosing a Takamine willingly.
                        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                        Member of the Schecter Society
                        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Too non-traditional for me. Just hurts my eyes. They should stick to Teles, Strats, and amps, like the good Lord intended.
                          Del
                          www.thefullertons.net
                          ( •)—:::
                          Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

Yeah, it’s that headstock. As a sorta old person who should be voting republican, bitching about kids on my lawn, and saying “candy bars cost...WHAT!!!?”, it’s just not right. Blue, ok. But good lord, that’s a slickin’ CLASSIC electric guitar headstock. Has no business on an acoustic.

...and I really do say the candy bar bit.
                            -------------------------------------------------------
                            Political or moral something or other that you may agree with or will
                            tee you right off. Along with a link. Maybe 2.

And it’s a lot to read. Which you won’t.
                            ...and guitars, maybe a mic or amp.
                            plus this. https://tinyurl.com/cbcg2xz

Comment

Working...
                            X