No announcement yet.

Making my dream guitar and a test

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making my dream guitar and a test

I've started building what I hope will be my last guitar for myself. Well, maybe....

I've had some stunning cocobolo tucked away in my little wood stash along with some Western red cedar and I figured it was finally time to build something out it. I have a bunch of smaller bodied guitars but they are all 12 fretters and in theory an Orchestra Model is the "right" guitar for me. I haven't built one yet, so here we go.

I'm also testing whether I really want to go thru the hassle of resizing photos before posting them, its a bit of a hassle and I want to see what they look like. So again, here we go

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3997-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	32130230

I guess this is OK, what do you think? I'm not planning to do a build thread however if anyone shows any interest I might post a few more pictures

Sure. You can always zoom in for anything specific.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I've mentioned before how much I love your build threads, so I'm not going to go all fanboi here....But I hope you DO continue to post them. And I get your disappointment with the lack of traffic here at HC. I suppose I share it to a degree.
      I suppose I'm part of the problem. I used to post a lot more and, well, just show up a lot more. Lately I just pop in, check SSS and pop out most days. I used to spend the majority of my time in the guitar forums....Haven't been spending any time here at all lately.
      But I always check on a thread if I see your avatar to the side of it. You're an extremely gifted artisan for my money.

Comment

Pics look fine.. It is a hassle to resize but hopefully it will not be a big deal once we develop the habit.

Comment

Your build threads are wonderful pieces. Given my situation I am happy if I can file my nuts and sand a saddle or two, so I get vicarious pleasure from your builds. Something a bit sad regarding "last build for myself"... even if it may be, I would hope you always keep that door open for any number of reasons.
          I was kicked out of music class for passing notes...
          Tuned out, turned in and dropped off

Comment

i'm always interested in your pics,even more the little story you put around them when posting
            so this guitar will be a 14 fretter?

altough i have a 12 fretter, i think i'm not a big fan. i use it with open g tuning and do some amateurish slide with it. i use the slide one my pinky i think it is uncomfortable to play at the 12 fret with it.
            putting a capo on 2nd fret and play it in A its almost impossible to reach 14th fret...

so why do slide players prefer 12 fretters? ok played as a lapsteel it doesn't matter, but normal?
            i don't get it, can some one enlighten me?

Comment

The pic looks fine and I always enjoy seeing your work.
              Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
              Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
              Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
              Member of the Schecter Society
              Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by Freeman Keller View Post

I'm also testing whether I really want to go thru the hassle of resizing photos before posting them, its a bit of a hassle and I want to see what they look like. So again, here we go

I guess this is OK, what do you think? I'm not planning to do a build thread however if anyone shows any interest I might post a few more pictures
                I really enjoyed the Christmas dobro photo although I didn't login and comment. I don't login that much anymore after the Xth forum reformat that made us change passwords. Tired of changing passwords, I literally have about 30 that I use regularly between work, personal and hobbies so if it is aggravating, "it ain't" if ya know what I mean. I lurk almost daily though.

I'm always interested in builds, post the progress that you are comfortable with.

I post a lot of pictures, and lately videos on forums. I usually edit all pictures and video for quality and typically resize to optimize during the process. I usually save the edited version under a different name, retaining the original as taken. I just consider it part of the hassle of sharing. FWIW

Lon

Gear:
                More than I need.

Comment

That's a stunning piece of cocobolo, Freeman. OM is my guitar of first choice, too, although I have several smaller ones.
                  Even if you can't do a blow-by-blow on this one, please post occasional updates with your progress.
                  I'm through acquiring and accumulating guitars. I like the ones I have, and I have too many, so I'm reducing and selling off these days.
                  My last one was a custom shop order (since I'm not capable of building one myself). So I got everything I wanted in it, and was delighted with the end result. That was two years ago.
                  Good luck to you with this. Especially with that cedar which I understand can be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Queequeg View Post
                    That's a stunning piece of cocobolo, Freeman.
                    Bit of a Rorschach test, eh?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3984-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	208.5 KB ID:	32131876
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Freeman Keller; 01-02-2018, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• Queequeg
                      Queequeg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's going to light up like the 4th of July when you get a finish coat on it, Freeman.

I always love watching your build threads, Freeman. That guitar is going to be gorgeous when it is finished.
                    Last edited by Glenn F; 01-03-2018, 02:44 PM.
                    "The Philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it."

Karl Marx

Comment

Hey, I almost missed this! Stunning so far!!!

Comment

A couple more pictures just to show that I'm actually doing something. Mmmm, photos ended up out of sequence - oh, well, as the title says, this is just a test

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4006-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.8 KB ID:	32143418
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Freeman Keller; 01-16-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I personally, love seeing your work, and it shows an insight to the wonderful creative brain of yours! Please, more build threads!!!
                          Last edited by badpenguin; 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM. Reason: Typing before 3rd coffee..... hard....
                          My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
                          Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Thanks BP. Been doing a little binding (when I'm not working on the barncaster or the inevitable repairs). Going to be very simple - all of the accents will be coco with just a few little purfling lines . I know I can do bling, but this is my guitar so subtle is the word

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4017-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	32144181

Comment

Working...
                            X