Jump to content

Making my dream guitar and a test


Freeman Keller

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Those were the days, my friend, we'd thought they never end...

Been browsing through the past few posts. Looks like it's no longer as dead as Calico or Bodie, but still a far cry from it's heyday. Seems like some of the old folk actually made it back, but, sadly, we seem to have lost too many ... forever. Quite a long list of those, who now have played their final gig and have left the stage.

But, quite honestly, it's good to see you still here and - even more important - still building, repairing and spreading the knowledge.

I might even come here more often, then....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Simply lovely, Freeman.

Congratulations on a fine job.

These pictures make me just want to pick it up and play it.

I've always enjoyed watching your guitars come to life from a concept in your head to the finished product.

This one is very special, though.

I hope it brings you as much pleasure in playing it as it has in building it.

Thanks for sharing the process with us. Again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Did you have any trouble gluing the cocobolo? I've read where some luthiers have trouble with it because it's "oily". They have to wipe the gluing surfaces with naphtha first? Also some complaints that the dust is very toxic to breathe. Gorgeous wood, though. I love the red. Deeper than Indian. Some Brazilian looks like that but with more defined black lines.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Yes and yes. While I didn't have any trouble gluing I think that was because I did wipe the surfaces with naphtha before applying the glue. The rag would come away with a red stain, so yes, there was something bleeding out of the wood.

 

I also made it a point to wear a dust mask whenever I was sanding or doing a lot of cutting. I've become pretty sensitive to some solvents so I wore the mask just to be sure.

 

And the red color from the wood did play havoc with the finishings - I worked very hard to seal it but had some bleeding into lighter wood. I don't want to build with it again, but I'm glad I did this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...