Making my dream guitar and a test

Freeman Keller

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have a solid following here, Freeman.

Thanks for posting your progress here. Since I know I will never be able to do this, I live vicariously through these threads.

And I appreciate your photos and explanation and education I get from watching them come together here.

• Members

I had a few more pictures in the camera and took a couple more after that so I guess its time for an update. I prepared the fretboard and frets - because the board is bound the ends of the frets hang over the binding and the tang needs to be cut back. Each one is a different length and is cut to fit the slot. I drilled some holes in a hunk of wood to keep track of them. Picture shows the first two frets next to their slots and a little tool that I made out of fretwire with the barbs filed off to check the depth and cleanliness of the slots

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4047-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32186275}[/ATTACH]

I press frets in but also give them a tap with a hammer. Here is the pressing caul in my drill press - its not the best but it works

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4048-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t158.8 KB ID:\t32186271","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32186271","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4048-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Now I can glue the f/b to the neck

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4053-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t170.1 KB ID:\t32186272","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32186272","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4053-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

At this point I can really check the geometry

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4051-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t136.1 KB ID:\t32186273","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32186273","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4051-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

This is called "flossing" the neck joint - basically put a piece of sandpaper against the cheeks of the heel and pull it out. By slightly angling the neck I can create more angle one way or another. This is part of the process of setting or resetting a neck

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMG_4385-2.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t183.2 KB ID:\t32186274","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32186274","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4385-2.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Don't ask me why it repeated that picture in the last post. I really don't like this way of posting pictures but I hate Photobucket even more so bear with me. I didn't take any pictures of the finishing process - basically just sprayed 20 or so coats of nitro. That all happened back in February. it had four weeks to cure while I went on holiday. When I got back I sanded it from 800 through the grits up to 1500, looks like this

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4382-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32186278}[/ATTACH]

Buffed with Mequiers #2 and #3 compounds, looks like this

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4377-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32186279}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4378-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32186280}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4381-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32186281}[/ATTACH]

There are still some sanding and swirl marks, I'll do a bit more buffing. The goal is to make is shiny but not look like it was dipped in plastic. However I couldn't resist bolting the neck on just to see how it looks

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4384-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32186282}[/ATTACH]

I think I will like it.

• Members
looks great

how did you make the soundholedecoration? do you have a detailed shot?

I cheated. When I ordered parts from LMII I got one of these in coco not knowing if I would use it or not. I looked good so I did. Normally I would like the inside diameter of the rosette to be bigger than the sound hole (so there would be a ring of the the sound board wood inside) but I like the way this one came out.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-wood/rosettes/solid-wood-rosettes

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32187439}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_3991-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32187440}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Wonderful how you matched the neck finish color to the coco back, Freeman.

If you're having trouble with Photobucket, just upload the image directly from your computer.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tupload.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t76.6 KB ID:\t32187596","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32187596","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Wonderful how you matched the neck finish color to the coco back, Freeman.

If you're having trouble with Photobucket, just upload the image directly from your computer.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tupload.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t76.6 KB ID:\t32187596","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32187596","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Thanks Q. The neck is slightly too red but it will have to do. As far as the pictures, I am now uploading them to the HC server after I resize to their requirements. Its working fine but the big advantage of P-bucket was that I could share them with any number of sites.

• Members
I understand that bridge pins are in place now.

(I'll just continue to refresh my browser until something special appears here.)

They are, I've been playing it for a couple of days while everything settles. Still have some details to wrap up and I'll take some pictures. I am pleased with the way it turned out and happy with the way it sounds. More to come

• Members

Since I'm not doing a build thread, but I have taken a few more pictures of the build I'm going to make you all wait a little bit longer.

Here is the most important joint on the entire guitar - bridge to top. Start by carefully masking off the footprint of the bridge and removing the lacquer with some chemical stripper. This gives you some idea of the thickness of the lacquer - probably in the 5 mil range

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4386-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32193930}[/ATTACH]

Does anyone remember the KBK bridge caul (that dates you if you do)? Well I still use them any time I have a new or repaired bridge. I have a couple of them that fits different X braces - basically it goes up against the bridge plate, locates the bridge by way of the two bolts, and provides a clamping surface inside the guitar so I won't crush braces

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4387-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32193931}[/ATTACH]

Everything ready, smear on some glue, clamp it all up and clean up the squeeze out

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4388-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32193932}[/ATTACH]

The caul is made of UHMW so glue doesn't stick to it but I still need to clean out the holes and ream them to fit the pins

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4389-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32193934}[/ATTACH]

You've all seen this a dozen times or so, but the next operation is building a saddle

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_4391-2.jpg","data-attachmentid":32193933}[/ATTACH]

• Members
looks absolutely great...

but plz explain (again) why is that exactly your dream guitar?

Well, a couple of things going on here. I don't own an Orchestra Model even tho I've always thought that would be the right size for the music I play - its what I always recommend as the do everything size guitar. I own a bunch of 12 fretters and I love them but sometimes I just want a couple more frets so 14 seems right.

I've been hording the cocobolo - it was such a pretty piece of wood but I just didn't feel ready to build out of it. I hadn't decided what to pair it with, how to do the binding and details and all of that, wasn't quite sure my building chops were in order.

The cedar had been in my wood stash for quite a long time, again, just waiting for the right time. I knew it would go with the coco but I wasn't sure if I would like the sound and wasn't quite sure how to build it and brace it. Like the coco, I stared at the pieces many times and put them back on the shelf - finally decide it was time.

Last factor is kind of my coming of age in lutherie. They say that you need to build about 30 guitars before you can call yourself a luthier - this is #23 so I'm not there yet, but I'm starting to feel that I've made most of the mistakes and I can concentrate on the details. I no longer lay awake at night worrying about neck angles and how to do the binding and whether I've shaved the braces enough - I'm actually getting pretty confident in what I'm doing. I can honestly say that this was a fun build.

I'm very satisfied with the outcome - the tone is warm and complex. Its not a loud guitar but very balanced. It's not the blues box that some of my others are but did handle the slide just fine. I've been experimenting with those lovely jazz chords - 6ths and 9ths and minor this and that - and I've got to say they sound really lush on this guy. I don't think its going to open up or change much - I'm OK with that.

You're finished. I'm jealous. I need to pick up my project and am aching to start another.

You and I have completely different priorities and time schedules. You'll finish yours at the right time

• Members

Oh, I still remember the KBK bridge caul. I don't live here anymore, it has become too quiet during the umpteen tries of the management, but the forum was quite a thing then and I am still proud that a few hacks like us have actually made something useful. Mine is also still in use and it helped me saving a few guitars.

Nice build Freeman, it's something you can be proud of. And I surely hope it won't be your last. Would be sad if it were.

Archived