Have you seen the new Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster ?

gardo

• Members

Didn't the last version of a JH Strat also have the PG and controls flipped? Can't remember.

But the ONE THING that has long attracted me to the Jimi Hendrix Strat/design is that it always made a bit more sense to me to have the bridge-pickup's poles closer to the bridge on the low E string, and slanted away from the bridge for the high E. (rather than the opposite on any other standard Strat design.) I mean, a Strat high e string sounds high enough without sampling it as close as possible to the bridge, whereas the bass side could benefit from the extra "snap" without producing the ice-spikey highs.

I've learned to use overdrive pedals and better use of tone controls to roll off the excess highs on a Strat's bridge position p'up, but earlier on in my "explorations of the Strat sound", I would have liked to have been able to have less treble from the treble side of the bridge position so I could have play the Strat with open tone controls. For quite some time, I was most attracted to the position 2 & 4 positions on a Strat, but these days I prefer the positions 1, 2, & 3 positions over the "out of phase" sounds. In that respect, the reverse slant catches my interest. The question I would want to be able to answer is, "how noticeable is the difference".

• Members
Any neck twisting issues stringing like Hendrix?

Why would there be? The tension for each string should stay the same, shouldn't it? The time to worry is when there's a significant imbalance of tension, such as with "heavy bottom" strings.

• Members

Why would there be? The tension for each string should stay the same, shouldn't it? The time to worry is when there's a significant imbalance of tension, such as with "heavy bottom" strings.

Don't the now longer bass strings require more tension? Does that even out with the shorter trebles? Is my physics FOS?

• Members
Don't the now longer bass strings require more tension? Does that even out with the shorter trebles? Is my physics FOS?

AFAIK, tension depends on scale length, not the total length of the string. There shouldn't be a significant difference, if any.

• Members

There MIGHT be the low E string giving a little harmonic overtone, because of the length of it at the headstock, But probably not. (oops, just saw the was a tree there, never mind)

It just irritates me that they put Jimi's name on something, that isn't what he played. If Jimi was alive today, he would be playing Ibanez.

• Members

This is sort of related.... I don't know how many times, back in the day, that i had to correct the notion that Jimi played "upside down". I had to show a friend pics with the thick strings closest to his chin. This was when he first became popular in the states.

• Members

AFAIK, tension depends on scale length, not the total length of the string. There shouldn't be a significant difference, if any.

K. I'm recalling some discussion on this. Bending would be affected though due to the slack proportions I think. Which, if you go by Hendrix' style seems like bunk too.

• Members
Just buy a left handed strat and string it right handed.

that is true really . i was reading a Roger Mayer piece and he said that the low E string would be nearest to the cut out chamber in the body causing it to resonate different to a normal strung strat .he also used this pickup wiring config at some point where one of the tone nobs was used as a seperate volume for the middle pickup and could be blended in .Mayer also says that one of the reasons for tuning down to E flat was because the high E string would have been harder to bend because of its shorter length, i dunno about that i would say it maybe had to do with his vocals and singing easier but i also like to think it was one of Hendrix`s other worldly qualities and knew that Eb was a mellow key and was copied by a few other guitarist and bands like van halen, robin trower, malmsteen, thin lizzy.

• Members

I built a bass with a 4 on one side left handed neck. I thought the Low string traveling to the end of the headstock might cause issues or have different tonal effects, but they wound up being OK. There's a slight tension difference compared to a normal neck, but it actually wound up being beneficial when playing with the fingers.

Epiphone used a Frequensator tailpiece to make the wrapped strings longer. This is supposed to make them feel tighter but what it actually does is add to the lengths of the string and provides more elasticity to the strings.

If you think about it, a longer rubber band will flex more because it has more material available to stretch lengthwise.

• Members
There MIGHT be the low E string giving a little harmonic overtone, because of the length of it at the headstock, But probably not. (oops, just saw the was a tree there, never mind)

It just irritates me that they put Jimi's name on something, that isn't what he played. If Jimi was alive today, he would be playing Ibanez.

This is worth starting a thread.

Archived