My house got robbed!

honeyiscool

• Members

I just ran across this thread and all I can say is "Holy {censored}!" That is ultra uncool, man.

I am very sorry you had to go through this, but I'm glad you escaped much more serious injury or even worse. It truly sucks, and it'll be painful for a while but you'll heal ... and at least they didn't steal your guitar stuff. ;)

And as far as how stupid they seemed, generally MIT grads don't go around breaking and entering, y'know?

You do want to be very careful, though. They've been in your place, they've seen your stuff, after it works it's way through their gristle-like brains, they might decide to come back for a second helping. Get an alarm at the very least.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anybody else read about the pit bull who just saved the owners life...for the second time? Saw the story on line. Thats another breed who can make Keystone Kops out of burglars. Remember, they`re just as nervous, if not more, than the victim...and pit bulls have a reputation...which in my opinion is undeserved...it`s the owners that are assholes most often.

• Members

Anybody else read about the pit bull who just saved the owners life...for the second time? Saw the story on line. Thats another breed who can make Keystone Kops out of burglars. Remember, they`re just as nervous, if not more, than the victim...and pit bulls have a reputation...which in my opinion is undeserved...it`s the owners that are assholes most often.

I agree to some degree that it is moronic owners that help to give pit bulls the reputation they have....but I don't think it's totally undeserved.

They are Terriers after all. A breed specifically bred for an aggressive fearless trait. Hunting rats, rabbits, otters and other 'pests'. And the pit bull specifically for "bull-baiting" and later direct fighting with other dogs. Even the best trained pit bull in the world still has 100 + years of instinct to attack other living critters.

Not that you said this...but I have heard it before from ardent pit bull fans....that pit bulls are "just like any other breed if trained properly"... is clearly not true.

• Members

I agree to some degree that it is moronic owners that help to give pit bulls the reputation they have....but I don't think it's totally undeserved.

They are Terriers after all. A breed specifically bred for an aggressive fearless trait. Hunting rats, rabbits, otters and other 'pests'. And the pit bull specifically for "bull-baiting" and later direct fighting with other dogs. Even the best trained pit bull in the world still has 100 + years of instinct to attack other living critters.

Not that you said this...but I have heard it before from ardent pit bull fans....that pit bulls are "just like any other breed if trained properly"... is clearly not true.

You should spend more time with pit bills. You're right about the history, but so wrong about the assumption.

• Members

I like Rottweilers, theyre big softies but man they can be {censored}ing terrifying when they want to be... plus theyre huuge!

• Members

You should spend more time with pit bills. You're right about the history, but so wrong about the assumption.

what makes you think I haven't?

sorry...but you are arguing with genetics...not me.

It's like saying a Labrador doesn't instinctively want to retrieve things....lol..

• Members

The issue with pit bulls is that they have the capacity to kill when they attack. You actually have a chance with the vast majority of dog breeds should they go on the attack, but the way pit bulls are built, plus the relentlessness when they snap is a dangerous mix, and you better have a gun or a large knife within reach. Sure, I know that there are many owners who either bring those dogs up aggressively, or go as far as to train them for fighting, but I have heard too many stories of those others that were brought up in a loving home, trained properly, yadda, yadda - and then one day for no apparent reason, they get spooked and on the attack, ending up as a sad story all around.

I am a pet lover, and if I get another dog, there are SO many other breeds to choose from, that IMO owning a pit bull is just not worth the risk.

• Members

I remember seeing one of those daytime TV shows where they got, with the agreement of the owner, a burglar to show how effective peoples security measures were by breaking into a house while the owners watched the video of it. In the show I saw, the house owner was saying that he didn't think anyone would be able to get in and, if they did, their dog would take care of them.

So, the burglar kicked in a door panel and opened the door to the kitchen, when the dog started barking he went to the fridge and took out some slices of ham which he gave to the dog. The dog then trotted around behind him while he loaded one of their suitcases with valuables. When he was done, he grabbed the car keys and loaded the stuff into their car. Then he opened the passenger door, the dog hopped in beside him and off he went with all their valuables, their car and their dog.

I have never had much faith in family dogs as security Measures since seeing that.

• Members

So, the burglar kicked in a door panel and opened the door to the kitchen, when the dog started barking he went to the fridge and took out some slices of ham which he gave to the dog. The dog then trotted around behind him while he loaded one of their suitcases with valuables. When he was done, he grabbed the car keys and loaded the stuff into their car. Then he opened the passenger door, the dog hopped in beside him and off he went with all their valuables, their car and their dog.

I have never had much faith in family dogs as security Measures since seeing that.

I'm sorry, but that's just funny. "Never bite the hand that feeds you" indeed.

• Members

I remember seeing one of those daytime TV shows where they got, with the agreement of the owner, a burglar to show how effective peoples security measures were by breaking into a house while the owners watched the video of it. In the show I saw, the house owner was saying that he didn't think anyone would be able to get in and, if they did, their dog would take care of them.

LOL...yeah..I'm not surprised. My house got broken into as well and we have a rather large Lab....but he's a Lab! He didn't do anything...the bastard...

Guard dogs need to be specifically trained in the same way you train a Lab to bring back ducks or help the blind.

• Members

LOL...yeah..I'm not surprised. My house got broken into as well and we have a rather large Lab....but he's a Lab! He didn't do anything...the bastard...

Guard dogs need to be specifically trained in the same way you train a Lab to bring back ducks or help the blind.

Bloody labs! ;)

• Members

HAHAHA...that is totally hilarious!

A lab I had along time ago was out being walked by my mom.....he was extremely alpha.....he sees a duck swimming in a big pond...so he jumps in and chases it....every time he gets close....the duck just flutters away, but does he stop?...nope.....I think my mom said it was like 2 solid hours he spent just chasing this {censored}ing duck he couldn't catch cause it wasn't dead like all the other ones he was use too...LOL.....my mom probably calling his name like that guy!

• Members

I'm very sorry to hear this. I do have some strong advice for you: try not to let this change who you are.

When I lived in Boston, a couple of my friends were murdered, including one in a crime that is very reminiscent of what you describe (he was duct taped to the floor with others while robbers stole pot). Unfortunately, they decided to use their guns and that was the end. Worse still, the tabloids had a field day with it.

We also had a B&E at a studio where there were guns pointed and gear taken - though no beatdown. It scared the {censored} out of me (almost literally, though I managed not to need new panties going home that night). The cops blase attitude didn't help.

I let it change me; I took a lot of actions to protect myself. Some of them were wise, others not. I don't regret those actions.

But what I do regret was my creeping paranoia, and how it made me view other people. I became extremely suspicious, and for a few years (not that I wasn't squirrely already) I literally avoided human contact whenever possible. Not good.

The world has some bad and crappy people, who do things from a lack of imagination and from their own inabilities to heal what's broken in them. But that's not the majority. You're young, and a really good person. Something bad happened to you, something you didn't deserve at all. Remember that, at some point, the law of averages kicks in, and God (or Flying Spaghetti Monster ... choose your descriptor of the universe's expression of it's power) will make it up to you.

When you lose that mindset, things get {censored}ing dark.

Don't do that.

• Members

Thank God you came out of this ordeal slightly hurt.

Hope all turns out well for you.

Not that this will remedy your situation, go to the rescue animal center and adopt a good dog. They are very reasonably priced and you'll have a friend and protector for life.

We adopted Nikki from the animal rescue and she's been a very good dog and protector...........especially protective and very aware when we go camping.

Nikplay.jpg

She's very affectionate and we're always asked, "is that a wolf?"

Kinda like, is that a glock?

• Members

Wow, sorry to hear that. I just got back from a trip to 'Frisco and got re-routed via "Super Shuttle" :lol: to the San Jose airport. Most of the time I was being bounced around that area I was just looking forward to getting back home. It's tooooooo bad CA isn't what it used to be.

What you went through is what I call "Scum Tax". A societal tax that one must occasionally pay to the scum of our society. But I've never had it as bad as that. I've merely lost property outside my home 3 times.

But that's pretty horrific. I wish you the best in your recovery both physically and spiritually. My sympathies go out to you.

Steve

Archived