My house got robbed!

honeyiscool

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do think, statistically, most experts agree a dog is by far the best deterrent and protection from robbery. I have a 4 year old Golden, who is an absolute hug rug. But I tell you, agressive vibes? He goes Lion King. My one before (12 year old named Pooh) intercepted a 115 pound brown lab that was charging my son like damned missile, took him down, and chased him off teeth gnashing before I ever knew what was up. You get a good loyal dog anyhing bigger than a cat, and you will scare off most cowardly thieves.

• Members

sorry to hear that you got robbed but remember the robbers might go back because they had a good look at your house. Invest in an alarm system would be a good choice if you are not a dog or gun guy.

• Members

If you are aware of any crazed potheads who steal stuff to buy weed by all means please let me know. Wrong drug. Potheads just call a friend.....

No comment on the rest.

Oh for sure, these were not potheads. Seems obvious but I guess some don't know how that works.

So, ya, these were NOT potheads!

• Members

Many moons ago I had the opportunity to sit in with K9 units training. As their special guest, I got a turn in the suit for the Sheps to "attack." I'm not a small man, 6'1" and 220 (and quite fit at the time), and I thought I was ready. Until you have been on the business end of one of those animals you have no idea how fast and strong they are. And they are fiercely protective of their handlers. Attack the handler and all rules go out the window.

I've never felt one, but I had a front-row seat to a demonstration of the K9 unit at a local fair a few years ago. WOW.. The GS sprinted about 75 feet and hit his target. Dude caught him on the arm and was spun around like 4 times by the force of the impact. They both went down but the dog never released until his handler gave the command.

However, I seriously doubt that Honey has any interest in having a trained GS living in his house. A guard dog is not the answer in a residential situation. A concealed carry permit, is. Of course, even if you have a weapon on you, you still have to have the heart to pull it and use it. No offense Honey, but you don't strike me as the stone cold killer type. I don't have a good answer for what happened to you, other than to roll over and play dead. I've always heard that works for bears, but then, I saw a story on the news recently where a bear attacked and killed a hiker, and when rescue people got there hours later, the bear had eaten a chunk of the dead body. So much for that strategy..

• Members

I have doubts about how accurate the "bite force" is in those samples seeing as how the dogs are taking a running leap (ie, the heavier dog has the advantage). But anyway, thats just me being OCD, I wouldve liked to have seen a Caucasian Shepard in that test, those things were bred to kill wolves and hunt bears! :eek:

holycrapdog1.jpg

tumblr_m6qiqaxvOK1r38hk2o1_500.jpg

• Members

Just get those things that turn your inside lights on when motion is detected around your door. If you really want to amp it up you can get a recording of a dog barking to play triggered by the same thing.

No 3 pound craps to clean up, no food, no vet bills.

• Members

My sympathies to the OP here and wishes for a quick recovery.

I live in the greater Sacramento County California area. For the past 20 years, there has been a terrible home invasion problem here. they are usually committed by gangs. Thanks to some hard work, the police and other authorities are finally getting ahead of the gang members. To do so, it was necessary to set up an entire home invasion department in the District Attorney's office.

In my work, I got to see the charts made with pictures of each gang member and their background. They have done a thorough job in categorizing the potential invaders. In that way, when an invasion occurs, they know where to look first. In fact, given a particular type of invasion, they can often pinpoint the crime to a certain group.

The problem was initially made worse by the fact that certain ethnic groups among the citizens do lot like to put their money in banks. It's typical that the home invaders around here are looking for cash, not other kinds of property that are easily identified and hard to sell. The crooks know about homes that may have money and will target homes that they feel are likely to have cash lying around.

There have been numerous convictions since the County decided to get tough. The usual charges are burglary, armed robbery, assault and conspiracy and, of course, felony murder if someone is killed. The typical sentence will be 12 years with a strike (conviction for a violent felony) or two against each conspirator. In California, three strikes and you get 25 years to life, which is often the end of the line. Felony murder is nearly always life in prison, often without parole.

Again, best wishes to the OP. I don't know the best method to avoid such a home invasion. I guess a dog would help. I have four of them myself.

• Members

Instead of everyone telling him to make his house as secure as fort knox, buying an army of attack dogs and being armed to the teeth, what about just getting better locks, talk to insurance about better windows and move on? The cops know, it's unlikely that anything will happen.

As for the remarks about not being manly enough to pull a gun: good. After a few years of being in fights on a weekly basis, I've learned it's MORE "manly" to not fight. The cops won't really listen to you if you maimed your attacker.

• Members

As for the remarks about not being manly enough to pull a gun: good. After a few years of being in fights on a weekly basis, I've learned it's MORE "manly" to not fight. The cops won't really listen to you if you maimed your attacker.

Cops wont really listen to you if your dead either.

If someone comes into my house an is looking break my jaw, I assure you that person/persons is going to have a fight on his hands, and hopefully two bullets in his chest and one in his head. It's not about being manly, it's about ones right to protect what is valuable...ones own life and ones family.

Cops wont really listen to you if your dead, either.

• Members

Also, I'd be prepared for round two from hese very idiots

They caught you off guard the first time. Get prepared.

Hope you feel better and heal up real fast.

Round to they will be lookin for the pain meds that round one provided.

Archived