My house got robbed!

honeyiscool

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Re: dogs. They can be a deterrent, but if you expect them to be security experts, they need formal training for such a task. Also, realize you're putting them at risk. Someone breaking in that has a gun may not hesitate to shoot a dog that is charging them. Turns a bad situation (losing your stuff) into a tragic one as well.

Re: Guns. A few issues there. First, if you're not carrying it on you, the burglar may break in unarmed, find your gun, and now suddenly be armed! Most burglars don't have guns (crazy yours did!) - they're just looking to break a window, run in and run out. Second issue - ok, you're carrying the gun, you walk in and they pull their gun. Now you're in a frickin' shooting match in your apartment! Not good. If they're not armed, now you're holding them at gunpoint, but there's no way to tell how they may react. And again, you don't know if they are armed or not, or if there's a 2nd guy who will come up behind you with a baseball bat. Third issue - bullets don't stop easily. If you miss your target, the bullet goes into the drywall and out the other side. You could strike someone in the next apartment, or on the street.

(I'm not anti-gun, in fact I plan to own one someday - but not as my primary source of property protection.)

Alarm systems - these deter thieves with the sign out front. They make a LOUD sound that attracts a lot of attention and is very tough to be around. The system also notifies the police - so the neighbors are looking out the windows, the police are on their way - not a lot of time to hang around. Take whatever you can grab and run, and hope people don't follow you or get a description of you/your vehicle, etc. See? Too much risk - unless you're after one specific thing in the house, know where it is, and can be in/out fast.

So with the alarm system, you won't come home and walk in on a burglar. If they break in at 3am, that alarm will wake you before they get 2 steps in (at which point lock your bedroom door, block it with the dresser, and arm yourself in case they really want in! Then wait for police to arrive.).

• Members

Marko - yeah, there's no fool proof security plan, but combining systems with procedures, you do the best you can. Look around when you park before you exit your car. Being alert to what is around you. Carrying pepper spray (hand in pocket, finger on trigger) when walking in questionable areas. Don't open your door to stranger. (using a chain lock allows you to crack the door open securely)

Home alarm systems have panic buttons too, and can come with remotes again with panic buttons. It's not 100% though.

I agree - don't advertise what things you may have in your house. If you let people know you have some guitars, don't tell them where you live. (especially true with Craigslist buying/selling)

Just be smart, think ahead, and do the best you can to keep you and your family safe.

• Members

Marko - yeah, there's no fool proof security plan, but combining systems with procedures, you do the best you can. Look around when you park before you exit your car. Being alert to what is around you. Carrying pepper spray (hand in pocket, finger on trigger) when walking in questionable areas. Don't open your door to stranger. (using a chain lock allows you to crack the door open securely)

Home alarm systems have panic buttons too, and can come with remotes again with panic buttons. It's not 100% though.

I agree - don't advertise what things you may have in your house. If you let people know you have some guitars, don't tell them where you live. (especially true with Craigslist buying/selling)

Just be smart, think ahead, and do the best you can to keep you and your family safe.

I

• Members

talking about stupid, desperate druggies, not rational-thinking thieves, and it only takes one to end your life.

Get the {censored}ing weed out of your living quarters. Rent a space somewhere else that has security, but don

• Members
I would say that except they barely even knew where to find the drugs either. And they took plants and not the stash of weed.
Basically they were idiots, no matter how you cut it. They didn't know what to look for, and their best idea at improvising was brutally attacking a kid who doesn't even smoke weed.

• Members

But what I do regret was my creeping paranoia, and how it made me view other people. I became extremely suspicious, and for a few years (not that I wasn't squirrely already) I literally avoided human contact whenever possible. Not good.

The world has some bad and crappy people, who do things from a lack of imagination and from their own inabilities to heal what's broken in them. But that's not the majority. You're young, and a really good person. Something bad happened to you, something you didn't deserve at all. Remember that, at some point, the law of averages kicks in, and God (or Flying Spaghetti Monster ... choose your descriptor of the universe's expression of it's power) will make it up to you.

When you lose that mindset, things get {censored}ing dark.

Don't do that.

+1 on this. Keep your head up HIC!

• Members

Geez - glad you are okay but just reading this I'd never have that crap around the house - it's just too tempting for the "break and entering type" to pass up.

Hang in there and hope the cops catch them.

Here's the problem: someone you know or someone who knows them found out that you had the plants there and they were the ones that broke in or friends of theirs.

That's why I'd never have that junk around. No way. All it takes is a home handyman visiting to fix something and seeing that and mentioning it to his thug friends for that to happen.

• Members

Geez - glad you are okay but just reading this I'd never have that crap around the house - it's just too tempting for the "break and entering type" to pass up.

Hang in there and hope the cops catch them.

Here's the problem: someone you know or someone who knows them found out that you had the plants there and they were the ones that broke in or friends of theirs.

That's why I'd never have that junk around. No way. All it takes is a home handyman visiting to fix something and seeing that and mentioning it to his thug friends for that to happen.

Yep, I'm very paranoid about that kind of thing. I usually have my guitars hanging on my wall and amps sitting all over the place but on rare instances when I have to call someone to get something fixed or something like that, I take all the guitars off the wall, put them in their cases, and stack them in a corner of my room along with all the amps, then I cover the corner with a couple of sheets, then I close my room door so they can't even see inside it. That way when they come in, all they'll see is my old TV and my computer.

And pretty much all the time I have other personal security measures I take which would make it very unpleasant for anyone I managed to find inside my house when I got home. Granted, none of them are perfect or a guarantee of anything but at least it might give me a chance...

but yeah, I'm very paranoid about anyone knowing what I have inside my house. My neighbors know though because I live in a condo and every time I have a gig they see me carrying all my stuff out to my car. Not much I can do about that.

• Members

Oh my GOD, that's just terrible. You deserve good things, not this kind of awful treatment. Hope your cool guitars and your cool cat help the healing process by making you feel better. Get well soon!
The only silver lining is that you didn't lose your beautiful collection and your good friend Honey.

• Members

Sorry to hear about this news. I was terrified that I would get robbed at my last place and I'm about to close on a house that would be easy to rob as well. Definitely considering some sort of security measures. Get well soon!

• Members

People generally don't plunder random houses, they know the proprietors and the contents within. To not think it was a run at the drugs is foolish.

But let's not make this thread a soapbox about ourselves and our views on pot. Thankfully Honey is ok, let's leave it at that

• Members

I think most robberies/thefts are committed by druggies needing a fix or something along those lines. Of course druggies are gonna take drugs if they see them. It looks like they may have known about the plants but I'm not totally convinced since they left the other stash.

Jesus Christ! A real gator would only be slightly more terrifying than that.

• Members

can't you even be bothered to read his remark that YOU highlighted?

And they took plants
and not the stash of weed

seriously, dude....use some logic.....

They were robbing a house....the residents come home and they {censored}ing panic...don't know what the hell to do or take....so they lay a beat down on honey, as he said, out of frustration, and grab whatever and get the {censored} out of there. They probably just though...pot plants = money...more money than any of the actual stuff in the house, and how are they to know it was legal pot plants? In fact they probably though great! Something these guys won't report to the police. That might be giving them too much credit though...

I read just fine, and imo, they didn't take the stash 'cause they didn't have time to find it, which is what pissed them off...

I grew up in, and teach high school in Youngstown, not Mayberry, and I

• Members

What are you talking about? He already said they were LEGALLY allowed to have the plants in their house.

And you weren't giving an opinion..you were lecturing about "crazy people on weed".....and how he should "get the {censored}ing weed out of his house"....How do you know why they have it? Obviously if it's legal someone he lives with probably is using it medically. Perhaps that person would rather not suffer through life without it?

I think it's you who should shut the {censored} up. You obviously aren't paying attention.

Federal law always takes precedence over state law, and the way California medicinal law is written, anyone can get a prescription. The break-in wouldn't have happened had weed not been present, but I don't think Honey made this thread to get lectured. You both have points, now both of you let it go and wish Honeyiscool a speedy recovery:thu:

Archived