Pink Floyd Thoughts - anyone else feel the same way?

etl423

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Floyd is a Heavy Influence, but it seems sometimes I am in like Denial of my heavy influences. And that is a gift because that way, I dont burn out on my most heavy influences like everyone did on SRV for example.

That being said, I have a vinyl floyd bootleg from the 70's i may have tripped to that forever changed me. Its on Youtube I'll post it in a second, sounds much better through a real stereo system with huge speakers cranked. This is where my "these effects sound right all the time" approach came from. I never knew why up until recently when i found the boot on youtube. But there are some killer floyd Boots on utoob listening to one now, Ithink youtube is the future of music just need to get it wired thru my HIFI system

boot i just found sounds good so far,

[video=youtube;-g4OEyoIqgI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g4OEyoIqgI&feature=related

this is it, its not ALL good but whatever is? i just skipped to 44:00 found my sweet spot, also 55:00 another good sweet spot enjoy!

DOGS SOLO IS ABOUT 19:30 ON THIS ONE EPIC!!

• Members

I'm not much of a fan. Don't really dislike them, but I certainly don't seek out the music on purpose. I really don't get the creepy Gilmour obsessions that people have.

I do like this song a lot though...

That's about it.

• Members
Is this a minority opinion on a guitar effects forum, or are there other people here who don't worship at the altar of David Gilmour? Also, what should I seek out next? I don't think I've heard anything off of Animals. Are The Final Cut or any of the Waters solo albums up to par?

Yeah, Gilmour's playing can sometimes define the essence of dad-rock/blues lawyer (in my opinion at least). But, I do like him.

Get this album:
Obscured+by+Clouds.jpg

• Members

IMO saying that Gilmour's songwriting is boring is like saying Bob Dylan was a terrible shredder.

I get what you're saying, but the difference is that for me, the song is everything, and every part has to serve the song. So I don't give a crap how good technically someone is as long as they create something that moves me.

• Members

I like their earlier stuff the most. I love DSOTM and I really think they peaked as far as full albums go around that time period. The syd barret stuff is great too.

The Wall to me is just an overblown bunch of pompousness IMHO. Sure there is some good stuff in there... Run like hell, Another brick in the wall II, etc, but the album as a whole feels like there's a lot of filler to me. When it comes to double albums I usually feel like the band took all the crap they normally would have cut and released it. This is no exception. The GnR use your illusion albums were probably the most disappointing I remember buying when I was younger.

For some reason I actually can listen to and enjoy The Delicate Sound of Thunder though. Perhaps it's just nostalgia. I was a teenager when that album came out.

All that said, Roger Waters had a way with words. He could turn a simple phrase in to something more. David Gilmore's playing was a good example of a guy who knew which notes not to play. As others have said, sum of their parts.

• Members

I was a huge fanboy when I was a middle school dork and burned myself out on them. I've since become less and less patient with songs longer than 5 minutes with each passing year. Between all that that and seeing so much bull{censored} merchandising, Gilmour worship, and backlash I don't know if I can even wrap my mind around whether I even like the songs or just don't like the concept of the band Pink Floyd.

I'd like to sit down and go through a bunch of albums again and see what happens though. I doubt I'd ever get back into either the obscenely long noodle jams , or the cheesier/poppier songs..... so I guess what I'm saying is I want to peruse the albums to see if there's more songs like "Careful With That Axe Eugene" or "The Nile Song" haha

I have found this as well. With the proliferation of classic rock everything I cannot even listen to some of the {censored} I cut my teeth on when I was younger. If a Zep/ Floyd/ Stones song comes on more often then not I find myself searching for something more interesting.

Exceptions are Ramble On and Can't You Hear Me Knocking among a few...then I just crank the {censored} out of them.

• Members

1. The Final Cut is an atrocious album. Honk was trolling with his statement.

2. The bes floyd is from Saucerful through Animals

3. Gilmour is a terrible songwriter, but an amazing guitar player.

4. Waters is an amazing songwriter, but ain't {censored} without the floyd's music.

5. Rick Wright is terribly underappreciated. He may not have written all the best songs, but his chord choice and phrasing is really what made floyd what they were.

6. The Final Cut is an atrocious album.

And yet the amazing thing I found is that by all accounts his solos WERE often stream of conscious noodling. He'd just do a bunch of takes, then they'd decide which bits of each take they liked best and edit them together to make one cohesive piece. That's the bit I find spellbinding - the impression of intent when on a conscious level at least it wasn't there.

OTOH, there was intent there on someone's part - the person(s) doing the comping. Comping itself is an art form. And when done well, you'd never know it wasn't a single, cohesive and continuous take just from listening to the playback. It's amazing what you can do with comping... but of course, you do need to have "something to work with", which Gilmour always seemed to be more than able to provide.

My favorite Floyd albums are DSOTM, Animals, and Wish You Were Here. I also appreciate a lot of The Wall, but it's not quite up to the level of some of the preceding albums IMO. Meddle is another slightly weird one. I love most of Echoes, but parts of the rest of the album are not as strong IMO. I appreciate the experimentation on it, but I can hear the lack of direction at times.

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundtrack_from_the_Film_More

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Saucerful_of_Secrets

These are my favorite Floyd albums. Dark Side is pretty amazing and so is Wish You Were Here but I can't really stand Animals or the Wall. Too prog-y and they just generally sound kind of whiny to me.

Their earlier albums are a bit uneven but I think it's Waters at his best in terms of songwriting and Gilmour and Wright at their best musically. On Saucerful, my favorite tracks are Set the Controls and Remember a Day. Remember a Day has some incredible slide work by Barrett. Jarring and probably an insulting to the ears of a hardcore Duane Allman fan but, like the best Pink Floyd songs, it fits the lyrics and the mood of the song perfectly. There's a part during a dark interlude Barrett drones on one note while the music sort of brightens up around it and leads back into the verse. In my opinion, Floyd was the best at syncing the lyrics, melody and instrumentation to take you wherever they wanted to. Like in Set the Controls, most of the lyrics are borrowed from Chinese poetry but the idea of directing your mind towards the sun (which, like in Echoes, seems to symbolize some sort of evolution that humans are trying to reach).

More is also pretty unenven, as half the tracks are fillers for the movie, but all of the full songs are some of the most played on my ipod. My favorites are the first three; Cirrus Minor, Nile Song and Crying Song. On Cirrus Minor, Gilmour's lazy vocal delivery sung over the descending bass chord progression and Wright's eerie organ work, eventually giving way to an organ outro that starts out rather hopeful but with the addition of more dissonant organ tracks ends up sounding like a descent into madness, all kicked off by the last line "on a trip to Cirrus Minor, saw a crater in the sun, a thousand years of moonlight later". That leads into Floyd's heaviest song which is built on an interesting chord progression that changes keys seamlessly and builds into my favorite Gilmour solo. Three guitar tracks going at some points and it's so raw which keeps the song from getting too epic to the point of cheesy like the some of his later work (not a fan of the "perfect tone" Marooned stuff). And Crying Song reverts back to the folky-ness of Cirrus Minor but with a completely different mood. The droney quality with the tritone suspension thing is pretty awesome. And the slide solo at the end has been the most influential on my slide playing, with the layered tracks panning from ear to ear. It sound like a simple, English folk song but has a very unsettling quality.

I really love the way they layer parts and fit the lyrics and music together. Me and a few friends have started jamming and writing together and these early Floyd albums have been a huge influence. Pretty much everyday of my senior year of high school we would ditch our last classes, get stoned, drive home in the sun to early Floyd and then jam. I'm still looking for a copy of More on vinyl to bring up to school with me. I'm finally going to have my own house with people who will join my if I throw More on the record player.

Archived