Pink Floyd Thoughts - anyone else feel the same way?

etl423

• Members

On the other hand, I find that whenever David Gilmour is doing his thing half the time it's great and half the time it's boring, jazzy strat noodling that sounds like it should be on the soundtrack to Lethal Weapon 5....

Is this a minority opinion on a guitar effects forum, or are there other people here who don't worship at the altar of David Gilmour? Also, what should I seek out next? I don't think I've heard anything off of Animals. Are The Final Cut or any of the Waters solo albums up to par?

I would take it a step further and say that any solo from any single instrument played for too long gets a bit boring for me, unless we're talking about ambient music (which for me can be anything from Miles Davis - In A Silent Way through to Tycho - Dive ). I'm just more into songs and textures than instrumental prowess, generally speaking.

But that said, I always felt that Gilmour did it better than most. He is melodic, his tone is resonant and well-chosen for the arrangements, and his solos sound like they have purpose and composition... not just stream of conscious noodling.

I love the 2 Syd albums of course, but of the later period my favorites are Meddle, DSOTM, and Animals. I like the other stuff as well, but those 3 albums represent their most characteristic and unified work IMO.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

here we go. barretts so terrible hes a genius, right? nah, i just think it was terrible. it sounded like the beatles black out drunk and unable to remember a song so they played noise.

Fuuuuuck I love everything about this post.

I'm a big Floyd fan and there's really a lot to be said of them and their many albums. I like The Wall a good bit, but I definitely think it's one of their most accessible. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think the intracicies of the other albums is somethig that really grows on you.

• Members

here we go. barretts so terrible hes a genius, right? nah, i just think it was terrible. it sounded like the beatles black out drunk and unable to remember a song so they played noise.

No one said he was a genius. Man, you got a judgemental attitude.

• Members

I was a huge fanboy when I was a middle school dork and burned myself out on them. I've since become less and less patient with songs longer than 5 minutes with each passing year. Between all that that and seeing so much bull{censored} merchandising, Gilmour worship, and backlash I don't know if I can even wrap my mind around whether I even like the songs or just don't like the concept of the band Pink Floyd.

I'd like to sit down and go through a bunch of albums again and see what happens though. I doubt I'd ever get back into either the obscenely long noodle jams , or the cheesier/poppier songs..... so I guess what I'm saying is I want to peruse the albums to see if there's more songs like "Careful With That Axe Eugene" or "The Nile Song" haha

• Members

No one said he was a genius. Man, you got a judgemental attitude.

no, im sorry. i didnt mean to direct that specifically at you but theres always someone that says something along those lines. assuming old = good. book > movie, british version > american version. it just gets old and i lash out.

my bad. :cry:

• Members

no, im sorry. i didnt mean to direct that specifically at you but theres always someone that says something along those lines. assuming old = good. book > movie, british version > american version. it just gets old and i lash out.

my bad.
:cry:

I bet you fucking hate the LOTR books :lol:

• Members

I really can't stand Pink Floyd and don't understand the Gilmour worship at all.

I can stomach Animals, and I do like Shine On You Crazy Diamond but the rest bores the living {censored} out of me. I've owned almost all of their albums, saw them on the Momentary Lapse Of Reason tour, had Gilmour and Waters' solo records, etc.

I tried - really I did.

+1, except for the trying hard. I tried a little and then stopped trying.

• Members

But seriously, the British version of Dark Side of the Moon is much better than the American one.

The versions are different? I know the posters were. Different mix?

Got a UK quad version in 76' and wish I had a decoder to really play it on.

Was surprised too when someone gave me an 8-Track of Animals. There is a bonus song -extra version of Pigs on the Wing or something...

• Members

Nooooo I don't worship David, but he is a pretty tasteful 70's era guitarist with a cool and different use of ambience and stratty sounds. His guitar work just doesn't sound like anyones else in that era, not a god just different and cool.

That being said, Meddle and Animals have the most plays on my iTunes if you want to hear some of the less popular DSOTM or Wall stuff.

• Members

I love it all from Meddle on. From that point, every album, solo and band, has some true greatness.

If you're reading this thread and haven't listened to Amused to Death yet, you owe it to yourself to. Jeff Beck is amazing on it, and the theme is as topical now as it was when it was originally recorded.

220px-Roger_Waters_Amused_to_Death.jpg

• Members

I actually like and appreciate Gilmour's jazz noodling. But I agree that without a good song-writing partner, his material is pretty boring. Waters is an incredible writer, and I'm glad he seems to be getting over his morose, negative, navel-gazing stage and is into more of an expansive, positive mindset these days. Gilmour's additions to The Wall make it truly great instead of just a Waters solo album.

• Members

IMO saying that Gilmour's songwriting is boring is like saying Bob Dylan was a terrible shredder.

This is what Gilmour excels at (it's all good, but really kicks in at 3:20 (and lasts for three minutes!)):

[video=youtube;2yOVTF5gTXM]

Archived