Pink Floyd Thoughts - anyone else feel the same way?

etl423

• Members

I'm in the Barrett Floyd camp. I think early Waters Floyd was kinda cool. They hit a good heavy prog stride with stuff like One of These Days, Careful with that Axe Eugene, and Echoes. Then the concepts started dominating the music, and I think they sapped it of it's energy (which wasn't too strong to begin with). Darkside is pretty cool sonically, but Waters is just too damn portentous for me to dig into. I like the parts without lots of lyrics, especially Great Gig in the Sky. Then it's downhill from there. Wish You Were Here is a great {censored}ing song, because it's *gasp* honest. Sheep was pretty cool. I like a few of those slow songs on The Wall, but only with the really cool animation. I'm much more forgiving to pretentious animation than music, especially when it's filled with blood, exploding churches and {censored}ing flowers drawn in color pencil. It had a really great style, all the brown, red and blue.

Meanwhile, Syd Barrett is one of my favorite musicians. For starters, I find him a much more inspired artist. Waters *talks* a lot about things, Barrett expresses them fluidly. He's living it. And it's so much more exciting, especially the first half of Piper with all those great guitar driven songs with all the cool organ lines and bells. I love Syds guitar playing, it's all texture and rhythm, and it goes all over the place. He's one of my favorite guitar players and of the few rock people I can stand listen to hear solo longer than a minute. I think white guys playing blues solos is boring as {censored}. I still don't think rock has caught up to Interstellar Overdrive (except early Soft Machine), I'd take solo Barrett's wannabe James Joyce poetry over Waters dopey metaphors anyday, and I'd say you can trace every (dare I say relevant? :facepalm:) white guitar sub genre back to Syd and/or the Velvet Underground.

Oh, and Syd Floyd was heavy as {censored} live. Sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxLXhdnemwo

FuuuuuuuuuuuuuuCK YESSSSSS!!! :rawk:

MOAR!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3. Gilmour is a terrible songwriter, but an amazing guitar player.

I dunno about that... he's an inconsistent writer IMO, but not terrible. He's not the lyricist that Roger Waters is, but lyrics alone do not make a great song. Melodically, Gilmour came up with some great stuff. But I do agree that he's a gifted guitarist.

4. Waters is an amazing songwriter, but ain't {censored} without the floyd's music.

I think that is slightly unfair to him - again, although he was Floyd's primary lyricist, he wasn't without his musical abilities too.

5. Rick Wright is terribly underappreciated. He may not have written all the best songs, but his chord choice and phrasing is really what made floyd what they were.

Now here's where I agree 100%. A lot of the sounds and textures that made Floyd the band that it was were Rick's parts. And let's not forget his voice (which worked so well with Gilmour's), and the fact that he co-wrote some amazing songs too - The Great Gig In The Sky, and Us and Them...

6. The Final Cut is an atrocious album.

You'll hear no arguments from me about that.

• Members

I dunno about that... he's an inconsistent writer IMO, but not terrible. He's not the lyricist that Roger Waters is, but lyrics alone do not make a great song. Melodically, Gilmour came up with some great stuff. But I do agree that he's a gifted guitarist.

I think that is slightly unfair to him - again, although he was Floyd's primary lyricist, he wasn't without his musical abilities too.

Now here's where I agree 100%. A lot of the sounds and textures that made Floyd the band that it was were Rick's parts. And let's not forget his voice (which worked so well with Gilmour's), and the fact that he co-wrote some amazing songs too - The Great Gig In The Sky, and Us and Them...

You'll hear no arguments from me about that.

dude, have you ever heard any of gilmour's solo stuff? it's pretty much atrocious. On an Island is ok--but solely from a music perspective. the lyrics (which i understand he help writing) are an abomination. i love gilmour--he's just not a lyricist and shouldn't try to be. and imho--his decent solo songs probably owed as much to rick wright as much as himself.

and waters' solo stuff is marginally better than gilmour's. while he can write a decent lyric, musically it's all pretty mediocre imho.

floyd was best when they were floyd. waters writing the lyrics, gilmour coming up with cool guitar parts, wright coming up with jazzy augmented chords and organ/synth textures, and nick mason trippin his ballz off.

Pink Floyd is a perfect example of "The sum is greater than it's parts" , along with Rush. And "Wish You Were Here" is apperently underappreciated.

IMHO Pink Floyd >>> Rush. YMMV.

As far as Wish You Were Here, I was also surprised by how little it was mentioned in this thread. :idk:

• Members

IMHO Pink Floyd >>> Rush. YMMV.

As far as Wish You Were Here, I was also surprised by how little it was mentioned in this thread.
:idk:

Uhm, uhm, uhm

I'll just leave this here :mad::)

Pink Floyd =/= Rush

Edit:

Rush shows have a lot of Pink Floyd playing pre-show.

• Members

well Baker wrote this song David Played it and its just beautiful,

in one of the comments it Read "Waters is the Brains of Pink Floyd Gilmour is the Soul". I heard they are going to reform lately? With Waters finally.

• Members

Relics was the first PF album I owned and still one of my favourites. Arnold Layne, See Emily Play, Remember A Day, Cirrus Minor...all great tracks.

I like the Syd stuff; ASOS and the soundtracks are underrated. DSOTM and WYWH are probably the most concise and fully formed records they made, but they don't have the edginess of the earlier recordings. After that I lost interest although there are some lovely nuggets hidden artfully amongst the bombast.

On An Island has some nice stuff on it too; it seems to have come full circle to DG's first recordings with PF.

• Members

floyd was best when they were floyd. waters writing the lyrics, gilmour coming up with cool guitar parts, wright coming up with jazzy augmented chords and organ/synth textures, and nick mason trippin his ballz off.

Totally agree. I love Floyd, and there are bits I love on all their albums, but individually they just seem to loose their edge

At the risk or repeating myself, you'll get no arguments from me about that. Like The Who, they were definitely greater than the sum of their parts... but the parts weren't without their talents.

• Members

I really like Pink Floyd. I saw them when Delicate Sound of Thunder came out One of the bests shows I have ever seen. I love the wall. I have seen it over and over and went through a stage of obsessively listening to the album. I really like a lot of Gilmour stuff. I wish they were together and I could have seen them together but whatever. I like Pink Floyd better than Waters by himself though.

• Members

you are patently wrong.

i do enjoy Final Cut. It isn't one of my favorites by Floyd, but I like it better than Atom Heart Mother, Ummagumma, or anything post-Waters, for certain. It has a very cinematic and melancholy quality. Something about it almost reminds me of Joy Division's Closer, that feeling of mourning after a funeral in autumn. I suppose that is why I can't listen to it much. Not a feeling I want to engage in very often, but sometimes it hits the spot.

• Members

Asides from being a lover or hater of the Floyd, it's difficult not to be impressed by the quality of Dark Side of The Moon blasting out from a bloody good hi-fi (not on a CD). It was the industry standard for years, after all. Same goes for The Wall and the great production by Bob Ezrin. And if you haven't skinned up on a Floyd album (that's vinyl 33rpm folks) then you'll never get them at all.

• Members

pink floyd is one of the best bands of all time imo. extremely innovative, awesome musicians, everything they did was great.

You don't have to like anything you don't want to.

I personally hate Strats... and the way they sound. That being said the use of synths, effects, sampling was truely innovative. Wish you were here is one of the most beautiful songs ever written .

I'm rambling but if you feel it sounds dated it's because they dated it. I don't like blues solos, but it all works... it's kind of like listening to some great 80's bands, sometimes you have to look passed the production and listen to how great the songs are. Although I think pink floyds production is top notch...

{censored} you, theyre awesome. :)

• Members

Should also add that Rick Wright was their most important part - and not Waters or Gilmour - when he got fired and re-hired as a session musician by Waters during recording of The Wall that was the end of the band as a coherent whole. Don't rate Pink Floyd post Waters at all - much as I like Gilmour's playing.

Archived