Pink Floyd Thoughts - anyone else feel the same way?

etl423

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

dark side of the moon

animals

wish you were here

i prefer the "shine on you crazy diamond" off of "a collection of great dance songs" except the ending, it should have the ending from the last part off "wish you were here (album)"

beautiful

• Members

I think Animals is Gilmour's best work, but I can see how if you like faster, more energetic music, he may not appeal to you. I was fortunate enough to see Pink Floyd many years ago. For reasons I don't really understand myself, it was almost a religious experience. I know that sounds hokey, and that there are lots of faster and more technical players out there, but I've never heard anybody come even close to sheer power that comes from his playing, at least at that performance.

Anyway, here's another performance of his I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhVYAdXBG4

• Members

How many people have surround sound setups? I'm sure some do for their TV systems, but I don't see a lot of "stereo" setups with surround capabilities. It was supposed to be the next big thing in audioland, but it never really took off.
:idk:

Yeah, like Quad in the 70s. Now what am I gonna do with all these Quad 8-Tracks?!?!

BTW some UK DSOTM QUAD 8-Tracks sell for over $600!!

• Members

How many people have surround sound setups? I'm sure some do for their TV systems, but I don't see a lot of "stereo" setups with surround capabilities. It was supposed to be the next big thing in audioland, but it never really took off.

Oddly enough I remember hearing DSOTM on a friend's quad system back in the '70s, and heard the high-def multichannel version demoed at a high-end stereo show played on about $200,000 worth of gear. The quad version may have been the only thing ever produced on quad that was worth buying, but the multichannel version was a total gimmick: the individual tracks sounded great, but as a whole it was kind of :freak:, with stuff coming out of some of the channels at times just because they felt like they needed to use the channels for something.

Then again, almost anything that was cleanly recorded in the first place sounds better on two-channel SACD than on regular redbook CD if your stereo is good enough.

• Members

Although I don't listen to them anymore, I was a massive fan of PF. One of the first songs I ever learned was 'Brain Damage'. DSOTM & WYWH are my favourites, but there are gems on all of their albums (yes, even 'The Final Cut'), and with or without Roger (One Slip off 'Delicate Sound Of Thunder' was amazing live). I even loved the solo albums (except Nick Mason's-couldn't understand that one and Roger's 'Music from The Brain'-WTF?). Some moments just move me in a profound manner: Shine On, for instance, Rick's part IX is a beautiful finale to an innovative album (put it in its historical context); the way 'Eclipse' closes DSOTM and the powerful outro to 'Sheep'-all being magic moments for me, and seeing them live in '88 was a night I'll never forget.

ngQd7C8JVTY

• Members

really? I thought it was pretty standard. It's even trickled down to the cheap systems they sell at wal-mart. My system has it (I'm pretty sure I'd miss it without).

• Members

I cant let a Floyd thread go without telling any fan to go out and buy the Super Audio CD(24 bit surround sound) of DSOTM and WYWH. If you like the music, the surround mix is one of the most amazing things you will ever hear.

Mac

i have that version, and yes, it sounds great in 5.1, especially any colour you like.

dude, you can like, totally hear triangles. hehe

Archived