Pink Floyd Thoughts - anyone else feel the same way?

etl423

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My first rock concert I attended was the DSOTM tour. '73 iirc. I was 15.

Anyhow, imo the whole band was brilliant. But without Gilmore, I'm not sure they would have become the band they did. As far as I'm concerned, Gilmore dominated the musical direction the Pink Floyd sound went. Not talking arrangements or who wrote what. I just don't think they would have sounded anything remotely like they did without Gilmore.

He took them to the level they made it to,

jmo

• Members

I don't really understand the whole Waters vs Gilmour arguments to be honest. Imho both of their best work was when they were with Floyd as they complimented each other. Waters was often the man with the vision and the words, but Gilmour (and the rest of the band) would be the one to take the ideas to the next level in terms of music and sound. It's quite obvious, while full of great musical ideas, Waters aint really the best player. That's where Gilmour picks it up and adds that extra something.

• Members

I don't really understand the whole Waters vs Gilmour arguments to be honest. Imho both of their best work was when they were with Floyd as they complimented each other. Waters was often the man with the vision and the words, but Gilmour (and the rest of the band) would be the one to take the ideas to the next level in terms of music and sound. It's quite obvious, while full of great musical ideas, Waters aint really the best player. That's where Gilmour picks it up and adds that extra something.

Well said.

• Members
How many people have surround sound setups? I'm sure some do for their TV systems, but I don't see a lot of "stereo" setups with surround capabilities. It was supposed to be the next big thing in audioland, but it never really took off.
:idk:

I just use my surround setup for my TV. All you need beyond that is the SACD player. I bought my Sony SACD for $35 used on amazon and it plays DVDs CDs etc. I also have Kind of Blue, Thriller and Headhunters and there all incredible.

I just use my surround setup for my TV. All you need beyond that is the SACD player. I bought my Sony SACD for $35 used on amazon and it plays DVDs CDs etc. I also have Kind of Blue, Thriller and Headhunters and there all incredible.

Nice. :cool:

I wonder how many people have bothered to do that - to get a SACD player and connect it to the living room / den TV. Kind of like an old-school entertainment center in a way. Is that common and popular these days? I am always interested in what people are listening to stuff with - from a mixer's standpoint, I've always felt it's good to have an idea who your audience is and what types of systems they will most likely be using. Obviously a lot of listening to music is still done in the car, and today, a lot of it is done on personal listening devices (MP3 players / phones) as well as on computer systems, but if people are starting to listen in their living rooms again, and in significant numbers, that's... interesting to me.

With the exception of the sub, I have enough ADAMs that I could set up a basic 5.1 setup, but I just don't see a ton of demand for 5.1 mixes from clients. :idk:

Archived