My baby died :(

billybilly

• Members

The house I'm renting went up for sale and being away on the weekend, they showed it did a house inspection. When I came home, things were moved and not moved back, as though they were looking for something which kinda bothered me but whatever.

The next day I get a call from the probable buyer and he says "the inspector said there might be a little damage to the guitar in your bedroom". Not playing it last night and went home and saw this!

fetch?filedataid=119634

What an understatement, he owes me a Les Paul. Shame as I've owned many and this one had mojo in spades.

• Members

My sincere condolences. The worst thing that's ever happened to me from someone else moving one of my Les Pauls from a secure corner spot to against a wall was that it fell over and bent/broke a tuner. Totally pales in comparison to a broken head stock joint. Some folks fault the Gibson design for not having a stronger built-up volute, and I'd disagree since I prefer the more slender feel, but not when this {censored}e happens.

Ouch.

• Members

It didn't die it was murdered. Big difference.

Make out a police report. damage to personal property by anyone can be taken to small claims court. Chances are they will settle out of court but let them know up front so they wont procrastinate.

• Members

That blows big time!

FWIW I'm a Realtor & have attended hundreds of home inspections. Many inspectors nowadays won't move items that obstruct access to something they are there to look at for the very reason that what happened to you. Any licensed inspector will have liability insurance though... Contact your landlord & the inspection company pronto to get the ball rolling as far as a claim.

The worst thing I saw happen at an inspection was an inspector who fell through the ceiling of a home when he was in an unfinished attic. I represented the owner of that transaction & the potential buyer walked away from that deal, but the inspection company was obviously liable & did pay to have the repair work done.

Hope this unfortunate situation is as "hassle-less" as possible for you...

• Members
The house I'm renting went up for sale and being away on the weekend, they showed it did a house inspection. When I came home, things were moved and not moved back, as though they were looking for something which kinda bothered me but whatever.

The next day I get a call from the probable buyer and he says "the inspector said there might be a little damage to the guitar in your bedroom". Not playing it last night and went home and saw this!

fetch?filedataid=119634

What an understatement, he owes me a Les Paul. Shame as I've owned many and this one had mojo in spades.

Might is an understatement

Pretty much, he owes you a Les Paul.

The cost of a les paul can be bought, but the mojo is priceless.

Hope it works out well for ya.

• Members
Ya' date=' I'm in the process of connecting with the realtor, buyer, inspector and definitely will be following things up. I'm hoping they are cooperative from the start and make it easy as I'm not keen on having to play hardball, but I will![/quote']

That's pretty crappy that it was the buyer that contacted you & not the "professionals" (inspector OR Realtor).

Be sure to call the Realtor's broker as well to tell them it's their responsibility to make sure items in your residence are left in the same condition as they were found & they are just as responsible if you get no satisfaction from the inspection company.

I would also tell them they are done getting into your house until this situation is resolved.

• Members
Update... The inspector had no insurance' date=' who does that? The buyer is willing to give me cash so fingers crossed, getting quotes tonight.[/quote']

Sounds fishy... Was this guy a real inspector or just a friend of the buyers? Who let them in the house?

I definitely think whoever let them in would be just as liable...

• Members

Sounds fishy... Was this guy a real inspector or just a friend of the buyers? Who let them in the house?

I definitely think whoever let them in would be just as liable...

Ya, I told the realtor today that if I wasn't compensated immediately I would be escalating the case, which really caught her attention. I said, I'm wondering if your liable, letting him into the place, nice and relaxed then said I'll be doing my legal homework to which she replied, "let me call the inspector". I said, go ahead but things don't happen swiftly, I'll be exploring my options.

• Members

i would also call;

1)the buyer's broker

2)your landlords broker (if a different agency)

3)your landlord

Let them all know no one's getting into your place until this is resolved. Even though you are not the owner you have rights as a tenant.

These 3 parties have a lot more financially at stake than you do if you make it hard on them & the property doesn't sell.

• Members
...she replied' date=' "let me call the inspector". I said, go ahead but things don't happen swiftly, I'll be exploring my options.[/quote']

Hopefully, if you are away again, the inspector or realtor won't be sending Joe The Carpenter into your residence to repair your guitar, as if it were a broken chair. :freak:

• Members

thatsbunk is right dude, you have a right to not alloe anyone else in until this is resolved. The landlord would have to take you to Civil Court, and that takes time. The Landlord and Realtor most likely have the most at stake. The 'inspector' was most likely either a family member or friend of the buyer, which sucks. An upstanding landlord would take you to Guitar Center and let you pick one out for all of the trouble...hmm... I'll take that Standard or Custom over there.

• Moderators

Agreed that should be covered by liability insurance, and you will get a like for like replacement, however that doesn't alter the fact that you don't get THAT guitar back. I'm hoping by now you'll have destrung it, as that is very repairable with Tite-Bond, so I wouldn't call it quite dead, just in a semi vegetative coma

Archived