for the electric guitar players, would you want a really nice acoustic?

mbengs1

• Members

I really don't recommend taking the "whatever" stance. Acoustic guitars tone can vary immensely, on brand, builder and wood. What sounds good to you may not sound good to me.

Example, Taylors are known for their perceived treble while Martins are known for their strong bass.

In short, try a bunch before dropping some cash, even two from the same brand and woods can sound quite different.

I would never, ever buy and acoustic without playing it first.

I own 5 electrics and 3 acoustics.

I'm now betting on when you'll return to your original post.

• Members

I have 7 electrics and one acoustic. i'm totally happy with my acoustic. its an ovation celebrity. but the expensive ones i've tried beat it. i still prefer electrics over acoustics but having a high quality acoustic will be great!

• Members
acoustic guitars are cool. i want a high quality one like a gibson' date=' taylor, or martin or whatever. . . . . . .[/quote']

There are so many high quality acoustic guitars available these days that, for a budget of around $500, it's hard to go wrong. Best thing to do is go to a good music store and play as many guitars as you can. Buy the one you like best.

PS. And ignore the name on the headstock - the days when you had to buy a Martin, Gibson or Taylor to be sure of good quality are long gone. Brands like Blueridge, Recording King, Crafter, Tanglewood, etc offer excellent quality guitars that, spec for spec, will cost around a 1/3rd of the price of "famous" names.

• Members

I regard electric and acoustic as different but related instruments like harpsichord and piano. I have a nice Yamaha FG which is useful for a certain folky texture but I really dislike playing acoustic. I also had a Squier acoustic which was very bright and fresh sounding, I don't think it was expensive.

But to answer your question, no I wouldn't especially want one if I didn't have it already.

• Members

I've never really understood the dichotomy of acoustic/electric guitar players, as I've been playing both from the very beginning. Different strokes and all that, I guess. That said, in my dotage, I play acoustic more often, and have spent wayyyy more on some nice acoustic guitars in the last 10 years or so. I have a nice little collection of electrics, they do the job, I have just about every sonic choice that is relevant to me there. IMO, a nice acoustic should be in any serious guitarist's arsenal. Kinda awkward to go to a party with an electric.

• Members

The only acoustic I have at the moment is an old Alverez I picked up at a pawn shop. It refretted it years ago to compensate for some of the body warpage. Its been collecting dust for the last year. The only time I play it is at parties where me and some friends get together and do sing alongs.

That only happens around the holidays.

I grew up playing an acoustic but I mainly play electrics now. I don't see the sense in straining my hand at my age playing an acoustic with poor action. My hands do enough healing just playing electric. Besides, most of the music I write isn't very suitable for even the best acoustics.

I did play one of those small Martin Acoustic Electrics about a year ago which I really liked. It has a slimmer body and was very comfortable playing strapped up. The tone didn't sound bad for a small box either. They did a good job selecting the right electronics on that one.

I suppose I'll get something similar at some point. I've been hankering for am electric Classical guitar. I had a Martin Classical guitar back in the 80's which I traded a Les Paul for. It was a top of the line classical guitar at the time. The neck wasn't one of those huge boat necks you could barely get your hand around. It and was much slimmer yet still wide enough to have good clearance for finger picking. Something like that with built in electronics would be ideal for my needs.

• Members

I've got a few ~

Martin 00028-EC

Alvarez MD5000

Cordoba FCWE Gypsy King

Manuel Rodriguez Model B

Jasmine MIK some model of a DR-12 A/E

an old parlor sized Framus from '66 (first guitar evah)

Ovation 2778LX Standard Elite-Contour A/E - MIA

BUT!

I don't even begin to feel like I achieved my goal to get the one right acoustic. I've done fine on getting a decent classical and even better A/E classical guitar, but I've yet to own a steel string acoustic that fits my desires. The Clapton model Martin was a gift from my wife after I put her though a 2-year college program, but inside I was thinking, "Dear - why a triple 0 when daddy wants a DR?"

And truly, although the 00028-EC is a prized instrument in the right hands, I'm not a particularly articulate acoustic guitar player (which IMO is needed to coax the most out of that guitar - along with very fresh strings), but when I grab an acoustic I want to be able to play something like John Lennon's "Working Class Hero" and have a nice warm and deep resonant bassy tone along with some jangly high end, whereas the EC model is more of a mid-range voiced instrument. To me, it begs to have a piezo installed in it so I could tweak its natural EQ.

Well, I'm definitely more of an electric player anyway, but my point being, I've so far "blown it" in my simple goal to get one (yes the GAS Man said "one") steel string acoustic that really does it for me.

My first rule for acoustics is "don't buy online - you must listen to them in person".

I've routinely ignored my rule No.1 except for just 3 of the above, i.e. the 2 classical models and the affordable Jasmine 12 string.

However, the one brand I've never picked up without going "WOW!" is Collings. I think they make a consistently fantastic sounding instrument, but of course they make Martins and Gibson look "affordable". I played a baby Collings at Mandolin Brothers that sounded far better to me than my Martin ever has.

But indeed, I remember playing an Epi Masterbilt DR w RW back and sides that I thought sounded fairly stellar for ~$500. But I just find that most all acoustics are much more inconsistent in their tone than is buying an electric online.

One of these days, I'll grab some of my acoustics and head to "Dusty Strings" in Seattle with hopes of trading some off and kicking in some boot to get the one of my dreams. But it's like I was saying above, I've played Martin D or HD-28s and same with the 35s, and been "WOW'd", but on another occasion I've grabbed the same model and felt they were a bit more lifeless. I've just never ran into a deal in a store where I went "WOW" over the guitar and was also in a situation where I felt the seller was offering a particularly good deal. So some of my purchases have instead ended up being from home at my keyboard when I knew the price was "wow", but later to find the ownership experience didn't blossom as hoped. Like my Alvarez that I got for less than 35% of MAP. Beautiful Brazilian Rosewood, but not necessarily as beautiful in the tone dept.

One idiom I got from a long-term ma 'n pa store owner - which I hold to be relatively accurate, is that the American "branded" guitars tend to have more of that tone that I'm looking for (whether or not they are made overseas and imported - e.g. Fender Acoustics) whereas the Asian branded models tend to be a bit more voiced for the jangly percussive tones. Which reminds me that I also bought the iconic Takamine EF341SC for my son (often thought of as the Bruce Springsteen model), and indeed, it also fits that bill of being good for stage for adding that jangly acoustic presence, but not necessarily the top fiddle for the classic American camp fire lead instrument.

smiley-wink

Sometimes it's just been hard for me to walk away from a bad marriage. :cool:

• Members

Some good and interesting comments, GAS. I'm the flip on the 000 vs D, I have two wonderful old Martin dreads that I almost never play because they don't suit my style (whatever that is) I keep thinking I should sell them but they are appreciating better than my 401(k) so right now....

My go-to is the 000 that I built ten years ago, its pretty much a Clapton clone. I've also been playing the heck out of the 0-42 that I just finished - I do like the little guys. I also built a couple of 12 strings that suit my playing better than my old D12-28. Kind of a shame, really.

I had to chuckle at your comment about Collings - there is a thread at the AG side started by a guy who says his Blueridge blew a Collings he played out of the water - I'm trying to be nice and say "whatever, glad you found the right one..." but I too have never played a bad Collings (or SCGC or Huss or ...)

I'll end this by saying that if you shop at Dusty Strings you must be in the Seattle area - I'm across the hills in Central WA. If you ever come this way shoot me a PM, I'd love to have you play my little collection.

• Members
If you don't own an acoustic now' date=' go out and buy a Yamaha. It will probably be all the guitar you need.[/quote']

It's a good guitar...even the 299 ones are nice. A bit on the "lighter" side of acoustics...in other words generally on the treble side of strings. Yamaha will serve you well for strumming rhtythm. But there's more to acoustic than that.

• Members

I have a whole bunch of acoustics. I like older Gibson, Martin and Guild. The newer Gibson and real (18 and up) Martin models are nice. Guild is typical FMIC Chinese made junk.

I like Taylor when they're making things I don't play all the time. I have the baritone, 12 and nylon which are nice for low money.

• Members

What does really nice mean ? I have a nice playing ,nice sounding, nice looking acoustic but it's not a high dollar guitar. I want guitars that I can play and enjoy but not guitars that own me. If it's so expensive or delicate that I'm afraid to really use it ,what's the point of keeping it?

• Members

If he (the OP) is just getting into acoustic and is primarily an electric player, a $299 Yamaha will be all the guitar he's likely to need for the foreseeable future. I'm primarily an acoustic player and if I could justify the expense I'd get a fairly nice acoustic. I'd probably also buy used because I know what to look for so I could get a better guitar for $299 than he could buying new. Given the number of questions the OP keeps asking, it doesn't seem like he knows much or has much experience so a new Yamaha is a pretty bulletproof choice.

• Members
acoustic guitars are cool. i want a high quality one like a gibson' date=' taylor, or martin or whatever. but i'd want one in the future. its nice to have one beside your bed and you can strum on it once in a while. lol.[/quote']

Before you decide you want a Gibson Martin or Taylor, think of your budget because big names are especially bad for the money in their lower priced intruments. I tried a Martin in the $1000 range and they suck! ($3000 Martins and Taylors are good...). I'm guessing you'd rather not have Yamaha on the headstock so don't try those...

• Members

I've never played an "outstanding" Yamaha in any price range. A lot of good ones, inclusive of the LL16 and 26 I owned but they were no Martin.

I much rather have a 1000 Martin over a 1000 Yamaha by 2 fold. Yamaha's are thin and trebley in nature, not the tone I aspire towards. Like a Taylor with less bass.

Archived