Do you own at least one REAL cheap guitar?

Jkater

• Members

Saturday, I have a gig outdoor in the cold, possibly rain and wind. My sturdy parts-o-tele is taken apart and the rest of my guitars will never be put under the wheather or in unsafe places. I decided to borrow a cheap squier/parts strat from someone for the occasion and he might sell it to me for dirt cheap if I find it usable at all. Thinking there are occasions (garden parties, jams, etc) when it's nice to have an instrument but no worries.

:wave:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have one for camping that I have very little in. It's nice to have a beater for the gigs like the one you're describing. Or that rowdy biker bar on the wrong side of town where the women are skanky, the beer is cheap and the food is grease. My kind of place!!

• Members

I don't know if this fits the category of REAL cheap, but my MIM Strat gets compliments EVERY time I take it out. With the Lollars, locking tuners and a nice case, I have about $800 in it, but it is still one of my cheapest and may be the BEST sounding guitar I own, and I own some pretty nice guitars.

I'm also never embarrassed by my well-sorted Xaviere XV600.

D

• Members

Yeah. I own two cheapos and one nice guitar. The nice one being in my avatar :thu: one of my cheapos is actually fairly decent though for the incredibly low price tag. I'm still in that phase of buying many cheap guitars though so i can't really speak professionally as of yet :lol:

• Members

I don't have any really high end electrics, maybe $800 is the most expensive as I don't perform live. I do have a few inexpensive electrics, about $100 or so each that I record with.

Here is a little rig with one of the guitars, and another pic of a couple other cheapies.

rig1.jpg

cheap002.jpg

• Members

The best sounding acoustic I have (better than my Takamine) cost my mom $120.00 out the door at GC, Brownsville NY. I swear, something just worked when they assembled that one. Its probably the oldest piece of gear I have besides my Dean Sarasota. Everything else shames it in the price tag region but that acoustic gets more fret wear than anything else in the stable.

• Members

I have a Squier std strat I enjoy as much my other more expensive guitars.

I don't gig except for at church on occasion and would be fine using it.

A friend who does gig regularly has some nice guitars but uses an OLP mm1 as his favorite gigging guitar.

• Members

I own some cheap instruments, but not because of a difference in gigs. If I care about a show, I'll bring something good. I don't have a cheap amp to throw around, so bringing a cheap guitar doesn't make much of a difference when it's being played through something more expensive than the expensive main instrument I would have left at home.

That aside, I won't be playing any shows that endanger my gear or myself, short of maybe beer on the instrument or an unruly audience member. If someone's booking you in the rain and you're expecting to get wet, they're an idiot and should plan to keep the band safe (short of the fact that I doubt an audience will be hanging out to watch), and your dedication to such a venue should be questionable. If you're playing an instrument that's going to get severely damaged by the cold in a single night, I hope it's not an expensive instrument.

• Members

That aside, I won't be playing any shows that endanger my gear or myself, short of maybe beer on the instrument or an unruly audience member.

Funny you should mention.... I once put the crotch of my Flying V around a drunk guy's neck to forceably eject him from the stage after several attempts at grabbing the mic.

• Members

interesting timing for this thread. I was just thinking about this very topic.

First, a clarification. I think "cheap" is relative to one's personal buying power. So compared to others on this forum, I don't really own any "expensive" guitars. My most expensive electric cost me 850.00. For me though, that is VERY expensive. My cheapest one is my squier CV tele which I got for 250.00. The rest are between 400.00 and 800.00.

I'd consider a "real cheap" guitar to be no more than a hundred bucks.

That said, I don't have a real cheap guitar although I think I definitely need one. I'm tired of using my expensive ones at the kind of gigs you mentioned. I've played dives where drunk people have fallen on top of our gear and I've also played outdoor gigs in the rain and in the sizzling heat. Was not too crazy about using any of my guitars at those gigs but I had no choice.

So, anyone have any suggestions for a sub 100.00 guitar? Has to have a hardtail and humbuckers.

• Members

I know there's no excuse for abusing yer geetar, but last night when I got back home I was happy I used my squier for rehearsel instead of my main axe...

Too damn lazy to haul my stuff inside, and left it in the car overnight at minus a zillion degrees:facepalm:

Archived