Do you own at least one REAL cheap guitar?

Jkater

• Members

I bought a pink Squire Strat Bullet for $119. It sets up and plays very well. The only thing is the pickups suck out loud.
However, I use it for beater gigs and band practice. It comes in handy for just such an occasion. To keep the platform and change everything else out would be about $600 total, which I don't consider worth the money.

As for playing in rainy venues, I always use a wireless to prevent shock and a Vox Valvetronix. No way I'm taking one of my good amps out for that {censored}.

As for "What constitutes a cheap guitar", I believe that is totally up to the person and the price he considers cheap.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First, let me say that I'm not "playing in the rain" (hope not!) per say but in spite of a roof, the wind may make thing a little moist. More consequently, it's gonna be full of people walking around, possibly get on stage, etc. When I gig in a cafe or such, I'm not afraid of bringing my SA2200 or whatever works best for the performance. That's a different situation.

By REAL cheap, yes, I mean under $100 or so. A guitar that may or may not cut it quality wise but that it's a no-worry instruments for some situations. That was the idea of this thread. Until recently, I thought I wouldn't bother buying a POS but I see a use for owning one. My parts-tele was originally going to be my "cheap" guitar but I am upgrading it nicely with bg pups and a new tortoise pick-guard after finishing the body as nice as I can within my know-how. So that one might turn out one of my cherished ones... :)

• Members
My parts-tele was originally going to be my "cheap" guitar but I am upgrading it nicely with bg pups and a new tortoise pick-guard after finishing the body as nice as I can within my know-how. So that one might turn out one of my cherished ones...
:)

I know the feeling. I recently bought a Danelectro '56 U2 for $145. I wanted a nice playing, good looking cheapo to take around and not worry about. As it turns out, it's a first run Dano that plays too nicely and is too good looking for me to carelessly cart around.

• Members
I had a Squier Affinity Tele, but I have sold it and bought Classic Vibe 50 instead :aok

Does it count as a really cheap guitar?
:idk:

If it cost more than 100 bucks, it's not what I personally would consider a cheap beater guitar. I paid 250 or so for my CV tele and I'd be pissed if it got damaged.

If I had a hundred dollar guitar, I probably wouldn't care if it got dinged or rained on or sat in 90 degree sun for a few hours.

• Members

I own 3 teles a CIJ, a US52RI, and a Squier CVC and even though the squier is the cheapest ($380+$160 pickups-sill cheap)its probably not the one id gig with in inclement weather.

I played an outside party once that was on the beach and sand got in my vagina but the guitar (SG) was fine.

• Members

$42 NIB from an e-Bay dealer. That cheap enough?

100_0390.jpg

I've gigged with it...stays in tune with no problems and sounded indistinguishable from the MIM Strat my buddy was playing that night. It's the guitar that I'd bring if I were worried about the possibility of some kind of damage.

• Members

I have mostly cheap-ish guitars. I just did a spreadsheet a couple weeks ago and I don't have over $500 in any of them. Almost all of them have upgraded pickups and sound great.

:lol:

But if we're calling cheap less than $200, I have these:

$50 for the guitar including Dimarzio Burstbucker pickups, $6 for Truoil, $10 for new knobs:

DSC_4153a1.jpg

$50 for the guitar in stock form plus $80 or $90 for a used set of BG Pure 90s:

DSC_4910a1.jpg

$88 for the guitar, $30 for Rose Buff pickups, ~$10 for an upgraded trem block:

DSC_6646a1.jpg

$50 for the guitar and ~$25 for the Dimarzio SDS-1 pickup:

DSC_5413a1.jpg

The coupe de grace. I got this one for free when I bought the above LTD Viper. It came with an upgraded trem unit (big block, nice saddles) and a Duncan tele pickup in the neck and a nice switch. I replaced the pots and changed the bridge pickup to a Dimarzio Chopper I got for $25 or $30 and put on the ugly pickguard though the pickguard was free. As it stands, I have about $32 in this guitar and it plays absolutely GREAT and is very likely my most versatile guitar.

DSC_5077a1.jpg

And for acoustics, I got this Samick/Bennett cedar top electric acoustic for $100 out the door at Guitar Center. Absolutely love it!

DSC_5302a1.jpg

• Members

I have a Slammer LP Special copy, made in Indonesia. I bought it for my wife (when she was still my girlfriend) to take lessons with. She wanted it because it looked a bit like my '81 Hamer Special. It's OK, not great. Plays good enough with a set up, but the pickups are pretty atrocious. It sits in it's gig bag most of the time. I was going to sell it or even give it away, but my wife said keep it around for our daughter. Truth is, I'd probably want to get my daughter something a little better for her first guitar. :lol:

Oh, and as to the rain situation, if anyone every tries to tell you to play on a wet stage, you should obviously say no. If the stage is covered, that's all well and good, but rain can move sideways and electricity moves quickly.

• Members
I have mostly cheap-ish guitars. I just did a spreadsheet a couple weeks ago and I don't have over $500 in any of them. Almost all of them have upgraded pickups and sound great.

:lol:

But if we're calling cheap less than $200, I have these:

$50 for the guitar including Dimarzio Burstbucker pickups, $6 for Truoil, $10 for new knobs:

DSC_4153a1.jpg

$50 for the guitar in stock form plus $80 or $90 for a used set of BG Pure 90s:

DSC_4910a1.jpg

$88 for the guitar, $30 for Rose Buff pickups, ~$10 for an upgraded trem block:

DSC_6646a1.jpg

$50 for the guitar and ~$25 for the Dimarzio SDS-1 pickup:

DSC_5413a1.jpg

The coupe de grace. I got this one for free when I bought the above LTD Viper. It came with an upgraded trem unit (big block, nice saddles) and a Duncan tele pickup in the neck and a nice switch. I replaced the pots and changed the bridge pickup to a Dimarzio Chopper I got for $25 or $30 and put on the ugly pickguard though the pickguard was free. As it stands, I have about $32 in this guitar and it plays absolutely GREAT and is very likely my most versatile guitar.

DSC_5077a1.jpg

And for acoustics, I got this Samick/Bennett cedar top electric acoustic for $100 out the door at Guitar Center. Absolutely love it!

DSC_5302a1.jpg

That was very interesting. that SG must be a real good sounding guitar.

• Members

Oh, and as to the rain situation, if anyone every tries to tell you to play on a wet stage, you should obviously say no. If the stage is covered, that's all well and good, but rain can move sideways and electricity moves quickly.

You guys are making me think about this outdoor gig. Maybe I should wear rubber boots...

Archived