Aug Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>>NoSpamAllowed!!<<READTHIS*

Frets99

• Members
I just picked my GT up at work today. It is exactly as shown on the MF website. It says "dark back" on the box, but it is in fact a solid black back and neck. Sort of like a Joe Bonamassa P90 DC LP. Now all I have to do is mismatch the knobs.

WTF? I thought it was shown with a dark mahogany back and neck. If mine is black it goes back, good deal or not.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I just picked my GT up at work today. It is exactly as shown on the MF website. It says "dark back" on the box, but it is in fact a solid black back and neck. Sort of like a Joe Bonamassa P90 DC LP. Now all I have to do is put black covers on the pickups and mismatch the knobs.

Note to self: Get eyes checked. Mine is coming tomorrow. Hope it's mahog.

• Members

BTW. The SDOTD was the one with a DARK BACK...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-les-paul-double-cutaway-p-90-electric-guitar

DV016_Jpg_Large_430809.183_goldtop_R.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_430809.183_goldtop_back.

Maybe you got confused with the pic that GAS MAN posted:

Ah, well that's a bummer. I was hoping the one I posted was going to be more accurate. On the MF site it said dark back, but you couldn't really tell the hue of the color from their webshots at MF, but it didn't look jet black their either. The one I posted (which I hoped would give a better depiction) was off of a Japanese site. I have one coming too and I'd have preferred that translucent finish.

But "dark back" is not supposed to mean black like the Joe Bonamassa Studio (I have one of those too)

Example, this is a "darkback" off of a Gibson Custom Shop VOS 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Darkback

711258-detail6-l.jpg

Of course the bright studio light SW uses always lighten the hues a bit.

But the "darkback" is name used by Gibson to contrast with their mahogany colored backs.

cac4d19a-0ef2-4a2a-b8cf-b19ebc965735.jpg

In contrast the Joe Bonamassa has a black back, no getting around that.

That's what they call it here, "black-back" http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Joe-Bonamassa-Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

LPSJBGBCH1-Finish-Shot-Back.jpg

So anyway, if these are showing up black instead of "darkback" then it's MF's screw-up for not having used correct specification AGAIN! :mad:

• Members

I just picked my GT up at work today. It is exactly as shown on the MF website. It says "dark back" on the box, but it is in fact a solid black back and neck. Sort of like a Joe Bonamassa P90 DC LP. Now all I have to do is put black covers on the pickups and mismatch the knobs.

But see, MF actually didn't show a black back. Here's the DC Goldtop

It's a dark depiction, but you can see the reddish browns especially on the neck.

Again, compare that with a pic this time from MF of the Joe Bonamassa Studio which is indeed black, and you can see the difference.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H71169.001_goldtop_black

Here's a side by side

DV016_Jpg_Large_430809.183_goldtop_back.DV016_Jpg_Large_H71169.001_goldtop_black

There is a difference between Gibson's "darkback" and "black-back" so I'd say MF got it wrong.

I think we might be discovering why these were on the SDOTD. The must have been a run of off-colored backs from the Gibson factory. Box says "darkback" but guitar is "black-back". :mad:

• Members

There is a difference between Gibson's "darkback" and "black-back" so I'd say MF got it wrong.

I think we might be discovering why these were on the SDOTD. The must have been a run of off-colored backs from the Gibson factory. Box says "darkback" but guitar is "black-back".
:mad:

If MF would have shown this:

711258-detail6-l.jpg

and you get this:

I would get mad...

But if they show you this:

and you get something like this:

I would not because it is close enough, maybe darker, but still, close...

MF did not make a mistake, they show a pic, you chose to assume that they were wrong and it was going to be a "clearer" dark back...

imho...

One thing... if you are thinking about returning it because of this, maybe you could sell it to a forumite that missed the sale...

:wave:

• Members

Wow. We're really complaining about the BACK of a guitar now? I got mine yesterday and didn't even notice the back was too dark to qualify as dark...

And I think most of us should know by now that MF pics/descriptions are not to be trusted...

• Members

Wow. We're really complaining about the BACK of a guitar now? I got mine yesterday and didn't even notice the back was to dark to qualify as dark...

And I think most of us should know by now that MF pics/descriptions are not to be trusted...

Normally I'd agree with you, but I figure if I'd paid $1k for a guitar (FYI, I've never done that...) I'd be pretty pissed if it wasn't exactly as described...

• Members

You guys need to STFU and be happy that you got the Les Pauls made from illegal exotic ebony before Obama sent his jackbooted thugs to confiscate them.

And thus, a perfectly good thread devoted to great guitar finds was derailed...

:facepalm:

• Members

If MF would have shown this:

711258-detail6-l.jpg

and you get this:

I would get mad...

But if they show you this:

and you get something like this:

I would not because it is close enough, maybe darker, but still, close...

MF did not make a mistake, they show a pic, you chose to assume that they were wrong and it was going to be a "clearer" dark back...

imho...

One thing... if you are thinking about returning it because of this, maybe you could sell it to a forumite that missed the sale...

:wave:

Don't agree. Black and Darkback aren't the same thing even from MF's site (as I posted above)

"here's a side by side"

DV016_Jpg_Large_430809.183_goldtop_back.DV016_Jpg_Large_H71169.001_goldtop_black

It won't piss me off enough (most likely) to return it. But there is still a big big difference between a Gibson "dark back" and a black back. On a dark back you can still easily see wood grain, on black, of course you can't.

And I've bought enough guitar off of Sweetwater's gallery to know that what they show there as a dark back would actually be darker in person, so I wouldn't expect that either. And as you can see in my side by side from MF's webshots, their depiction of dark back shows red and brown hues. Black is technically the absence of color. The pigment from which no color of the light spectrum escapes. i.e. the black hole of colors. :eek:

So if they advertise "dark back" and either the DC LP P-90 or HB show up black, then either Gibson or MF has misidentified the colors. I don't name them, Gibson does.

This could give a guy, The Darkback Blues.

• Members

After seeing the butcher-block wood pattern on a LP Gothic that had been sanded down, I don't think I'd buy a Les Paul if I couldn't see through the finish.

I'd try to post a pic, but anytime I've attached a pic to a post it's been cast into moderator purgatory.

• Members
Sort of OT but these are sweet deals on the discontinued (OS & Support) HP Touchpad this won't last long

FB454UT Smartbuy TouchPad QUALCOMM Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless 9.7" IPS TFT
1GB RAM 16GB
$99

ALSO
HP FB356UT Smart Buy Touch Pad QUALCOMM Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless 9.7" IPS TFT 1GB RAM 32GB $149

Too funny. The overall Amazon rating of the Touchpad has now plummeted to One Star, due to all the negative reviews from the people who "thought" they bought a hundred dollar touchpad this weekend.