Aug Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>>NoSpamAllowed!!<<READTHIS*

Frets99

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Exactly. We should all know by now to look up reviews and such before jumping on anything. Spec descriptions are frequently wrong.

"Dark back" means a dark mahogany stain not painted black. This is opposed to a "light back" natural mahogany finish used on some Gold tops. Go ahead and look up a review on the p90 model. Better yet, find a listing for that guitar on their website if you can. I believe they were clearing out old models with painted backs. It will be interesting to see when it was produced when I get it.

• Members

"Dark back" means a dark mahogany stain not painted black. This is opposed to a "light back" natural mahogany finish used on some Gold tops. Go ahead and look up a review on the p90 model. Better yet, find a listing for that guitar on their website if you can. I believe they were clearing out old models with painted backs. It will be interesting to see when it was produced when I get it.

Not everything out there is a conspiracy to screw the customer, and all they were clearing out was a model that didn't sell too well at $1999, or later $1399.

As has been stated OFTEN, MF descriptions and pictures are wrong WAY more than they should be, and this is another fine example. The white humbucker double cut that was on sale the next day was also not the same as the one pictured at MF.

As far as whether these were 'old models' or not, mine arrived yesterday and was stamped 'Made in USA 2011' under the serial number.

I've bought at least a couple dozen Les Pauls over the years, and I don't ever think I've given the back of the guitar the slightest amount of thought prior to purchase. Or after purchase for that matter...

And if you people are really this upset about getting a 'black back' instead of a 'dark back', you should call MF and complain. Maybe they'll give you another $50-100 off...

• Members

yea, imagine if someone was dying for a black back and passed. then they lost a sale. i dont think it was a scam or anything. maybe they got a lot of returns on them cause of wrong description
:idk:

Mine was definitely not a return, factory sealed. I personally love the black and gold look, it is exactly what I wanted.

• Members

Thanks for posting that. A free steak might be what I need to give to my wife to keep her from killing me since I fell victim to GAS and just ordered a Malden Utopia a few minutes ago. Ssshhhh... don't say anything!
:cool:

Was unfamiliar with them; you should start a thread.

• Members
I also reported it to Ibanez, PRS, Rickenbacker and Martin. I'll call Taylor and Fender when they open. They have the legal teams to deal with it.

I already got a response from an actual person (as opposed to a mailbot) at Martin.

As a follow up to this, the guitars have been taken off the Amazon storefront. http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=AKOEJIQC3X57D

• Members

Last night when I got home I put the DCGT side by side with my JB Studio. It *does* look different and a lot like the picture someone posted here. I held it up to the strongest incandescent light I could find and the finish is not opaque. If you tilt it, you can just barely see the wood grain through the finish on the back. When I get home today I'll take it out into the sunlight and see if I can get a good picture of it.

• Members
Were people able to get the prices matched from other stores the last time? There's something I want, but the closest Sam Ash is 1.5 hrs away.

-- N

I think people were able to get the Charvel's matched @ M123 but I believe they are out of stock. Doesn't hurt to ask. Worst they can say is no.

If anyone is interested I did see one of those Charvel's @ the Sam Ash in Cerritos, CA. Also, GC in Cerritos had some Dean Dime O Flame Guitars for $330. Goes for $600 on Amazon.

• Members

Okay, realize these are full bore sunlight photos designed to demonstrate the finish is not painted. I didn't enhance them or retouch other than crop them.

LPDC_Darkback.jpg

This is an angle shot that clearly shows the grain through the translucent finish. I suspect they are using an oxblood stain here because it looks a lot like my Oxblood Flying V. Black for all intents and purposes, but deep, deep red under a carbon arc lighting.

This one shows what it mostly looks like, but again it is shot in full sunlight bearing down on it from just a few feet away. It looks pretty close to the MF picture I think, so no misrepresentation, no military industrial complex conspiracy theory, just a really dark stain that looks black except under the most extreme lighting conditions.

LPDC_Drkbk_full.jpg

In case anyone is not into the whole dark black saga, a picture the rest of us can enjoy:

LPDC_Drkbk_front.jpg

I love this guitar and I will buy anyone's who isn't satisfied with it once they get it and play it.

• Members

8340.jpg?r=707982917

You can connect you guitar to Amplitube or GarageBand and use a midi controller. It's like buying the iRig and iMidi all-in-one for less money. Plus it looks like it has a boatload of other input and output features.

Missed it!!!! darned! It is sold out!

• Members
George Jetson, Han Solo didn't like his Goldtop due to the black back. He said he will be selling his for 999 w/shipping. He has a thread on this forum. Crazy in my opinion. Guitar looks awesome!

I paid $899 w/shipping, for a no-owner guitar it is an absolute steal at that price. Maybe I'll make an offer he can't refuse....:deadhorse: