Your best gear purchase of 2017 ?

AJ6stringsting

• Members
For me it was buying another 1986 Carvin X-100B amp, a second VHT Pitt Bull, two Crate Power Blocks and restoring an old 1968 Univibe to complete working order.

What's yours ?

i have a 1989 x100b 8x12 stack that i bought new in 1989, getting close to the end of the `carpet' years if i'm not mistaken - it's one of the best heads i have (and still do) owned :)

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/89-xamptubestack.html

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought a 1980's Bandit 65, Cecilio electic violin, Oktavamod 219 and a used Krups espresso machine this year.

The Krups will be used to steam the neck off my 1975 Guild F50, which needs a neck reset and refinishing. It's my project for 2018.

• Members

$400 for a Vox AC10c. Full disclosure, it took three of them to get one that wasn't defective, but the local dealer was great to work with and replaced the first two with no real hassle. Had this last one about six months now and I like it more every day. I let other folks play through it just so I can hear how good it sounds from across the room. It has become the most favorite amp I have ever owned, and that's a fair number of amps in 50 years.

• Members

I'm on the same line as Yak this year.

Best gear purchase is turning out to be a Air-O-Swiss (now Boneco) 7135 Ultrasonic Humidifier.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"aHR0cDovL3d3dy50b3B0ZW5yZXZpZXdzLmNvbS9pL3Jldi9zY3JuL2xhcmdlLzU0NDQ0LWFpci1vLXN3aXNzLTcxMzMxOC5qcGc=.jpg","data-attachmentid":32130330}[/ATTACH]

It's keeping my guitars in check and my frets happy by controlling the shrinkage of wood in the current cold weather we're experiencing.

No more poking / lifting frets, lifting bridges, dishing and cracking acoustic tops, loose braces, lifting binding, loose tuners, etc.

This unit to be deployed from Halloween until the opening of baseball season for the care of all my fretted friends (and it's great for my family's health also). Win-Win!

I really like this particular model and manufacturer. Air-O-Swiss has been making this same unit design (Model 7135) for years and my units last an average of three to four years. When it finally dies, I can keep the blue tank as a pre-filled backup for the next unit I purchase. Design is easy to lift and remove the tank from in any direction (360 degrees) and involves little water mess upon removal. This is not true on many other models even in the Air-O-Swiss (now called Boneco) product line.

Be kind....humidify. :idea:

• Members

Readings are from two AcuRite Humidity Monitors in two remote locations of the room. I shoot for that spot above 40% but below 50% or so. These AcuRite units aren't the best but they give a good idea if I'm having any issues approaching a problem.

• Members

Besides my CR gearbox parts. I got a Catalinbread Belle Epoch and a Friedman BE-OD pedals. They are really great. I am a pump it up and use the volume pot to keep it in check kinda guy. That BE-OD is over the top and reigns in nicely. The Belle is a great delay period.

• Members
a gym membership CARD so I can swim everyday !! ) :)

This would be nice. I had a membership at LA Fitness, swam on my off days and ran 3.3 miles for PT at work. Unfortunately my back started acting up and I stopped both. Now that my back is better and my core is stronger I am thinking about joining again so I can swim. No better exercise...as long as you don't drown.

Early in 2017 I bought a Traynor 40W Twin Reverb. It is solid state with a real spring reverb. Gain is ok, and I can get some crunch but it did not sound as good as my Fender Mustang (which I loaned to my son). A few weeks ago I bought a Jet Driver. Now the gain is fine but I really have to roll off the volume on my guitar if I go clean. The first time I switched without rolling off the volume my ears bled. The good thing was that it got my soon to be ex really mad as she hates me playing guitar, especially if she can hear it.

Now I am trying to decide if I should add to my guitar gear or my gaming rig. My soon to be ex hates both so I am excited at the possibilities for the new year.

• Members

Hmmm.... two purchases I guess...

I purchased the Moog Model D re-issue a few days after Christmas 2016 but didn`t open it until early 2017 so I guess this counts. The Model D was one of those keyboards I always wanted since I was a kid but the idea of spending that kind of cash on an original was outrageous. Thanks to some gifts cards and a 10% discount, I was able to finally convince myself to pull the trigger. There is something about going back to the "father" of synths to truly appreciate where we are now in synthesis. Also, by buying into the analog world with the Model D and Prophet 6, it has revived my passion for making original music. Analog synths are like working with machines that breath...

The second purchase was made in May of 2017 and that was the Universal Audio Apollo Twin. The first 10 seconds that I monitored through it, I knew it was a game changer. The conversion on this was warm and made me feel fuzzy. The Apollo Twin also reminded me of what music can be. And the UAD plug ins really helped me achieve the sound I was hearing in my head. I didn`t think analog warmth was possible until I heard the UAD plugs. Using them to mix and master has re-ignited my passion for music because one allows me to make sounds from scratch, whereas the other one helps me hear it and make it sound better.

• Members

I finally pulled the trigger on a Behringer ADA8200 ADAT interface to add 8 channels of I/O to my Presonus 1818VSL. I forgot to order fiber cables for it, so I got 1 at Sweetwater (should have gotten 2). I was able to test all 8 ins and outs by looping ADAT out back to ADAT in, then plugging a mic in each input and an XLR cord going to my console into the matching output.

I really only need the extra 8 inputs... I only use 6 outputs anyway (one main, to monitors), and two more separate stereo headphone mixes. I suppose if I get a full band in to record I might need more. I'd have to cough up a few more headphone amps anyway if that happened...

I'm very pleased with the sound of it. The Midas preamps are pretty sweet sounding, and for $25/channel it's quite a bargain. Can't complain at all.

I used it for mixing all the vocals and a few of the instruments on my New Years jam + retirement party the other night, using the DSP Presonus mixer app. I was able to get decent limiting, compression, EQ and ambience (light reverb) on each channel. It ended up sounding pretty great after I stopped to tweak things a few times...

Archived