Your best gear purchase of 2017 ?

AJ6stringsting

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally pulled the trigger on a Behringer ADA8200 ADAT interface to add 8 channels of I/O to my Presonus 1818VSL.

(snip)

I'm very pleased with the sound of it. The Midas preamps are pretty sweet sounding, and for $25/channel it's quite a bargain. Can't complain at all.

Wow - those only cost $199? Adding 8 more mic preamps to an ADAT lightpipe equipped interface sure has become inexpensive!

• Members

i spent surprisingly little on new gear in 2017. Still real happy with the keyboard rig I finally amended to my satisfaction in 2016 and I don't do enough guitar to justify many purchases in that area, however, the $30 I spent on that little TC Electronics clip on tuner Sweetwater was promoting was a big win!

• Members

Wow - those only cost $199? Adding 8 more mic preamps to an ADAT lightpipe equipped interface sure has become inexpensive!

I was a little skeptical at first, but found nothing but good reviews of it. Even from people who don't like Behringer.

• Members

i spent surprisingly little on new gear in 2017. Still real happy with the keyboard rig I finally amended to my satisfaction in 2016 and I don't do enough guitar to justify many purchases in that area, however, the $30 I spent on that little TC Electronics clip on tuner Sweetwater was promoting was a big win!

TC stuff is great! Is it a polytune model?

I found another decent one on Amazon, called AxeRig, for $20. What I like is there are no options; you turn it on, it tells you the note.

One of my old ones had options up the wazoo... It was almost unusable. 'Tunable in 1 Hz steps from 425 to 460 Hz, modes for oboe, ukelele, violin, turn it on and it comes up in 5 flats' crap...

I got myself four Chicken Picks. They really have improved my playing and my sound.

A Rocktron MIDI Raider which is my favourite controller for the Kemper.

Cheers,

Mats N

2.2, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7 and 3.5mm thick? :eek2: Seems like they'd feel really awkward and overly thick to me. :idk: Did you find the extra thickness weird at first, and if so, how long did it take you to get used to using them?

• Members

TC stuff is great! Is it a polytune model?

I found another decent one on Amazon, called AxeRig, for $20. What I like is there are no options; you turn it on, it tells you the note.

One of my old ones had options up the wazoo... It was almost unusable. 'Tunable in 1 Hz steps from 425 to 460 Hz, modes for oboe, ukelele, violin, turn it on and it comes up in 5 flats' crap...

It's this little guy, you just clip it on and push the button but what's so great about it is the bright, detailed, strobe type display that I like a whole lot better than the Snark.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UniTuneClip

• Members

My only gear purchase to speak of - FMR RNLA to replace an ART Pro VLA that lost a side and weakened on the other for the 3rd and last time.

I quit making someone else's Porsche payments quite a while ago. I'm in need of nothing else, can't justify anything else, and anything more wouldn't make any difference.

• Members

Bought a Fender Squire Affinity Jazzmaster H-H for just $199. Used it on some band gigs and for recording. Also, had a guitar tech restore my Prudencio Saez flamenco guitar, and I play it every day as my practice guitar.

• Members

Can I add one from 2018?

Electro-Voice ZLX-15P powered speakers.

1,000 Watts. The sound is clean, focused and with great detail -- even at low volume levels. They cost twice as much as the old Carvin PM15A speakers I was using, but sound much, much, much more than twice as good.

Much better than I expected them to sound.

I gig with backing tracks in a duo, two vocalists, backing tracks which I make myself, and my partner and I playing two of the group of instruments we bring on stage guitar, synths, sax, flute, and of course vocals.

Insights and incites by Notes.

• Moderators

A lot.....Ovation Nylon,Fender Acoustic,Peavey Active Speakers,Behringer XR18 ( Really good!!) Korg Kross 1 ( now 2),Sennheiser Headphones (4).......because the future return to gigs whit my band Sonosapiens......Happy 2018!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

2 things, actually:

- Yamaha SG200s silent acoustic guitar. I do a lot of fly dates with an acoustic. Not only does this thing sound great, it packs down really small and I can get it on every plane I've been on.

- Atomic Amplifirebox. Absolute game-changer for me. I no longer have to worry about {censored}ty backline wherever I go. It sounds amazing and is pedalboard-friendly.

• Members

I really didn't buy much gear, but what I did get, I'm pretty happy with... a Boss Katana 50 and a 2017 American Professional strat. The gear that really blew me away though is the set of KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors I got. I've been using cheap computer speakers forever, and these new monitors sound better than my Bose headphones!

• Members

I don't often purchase a lot of stuff, but this year I choose an ES 275 and a Rickenbacker 350v63.

This is not my Rickenbacker, but I did it in Midnight Blue.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"r317.jpg","data-attachmentid":32178944}[/ATTACH]

This is my ES 275

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"fetch?id=31961638&d=1492529724.jpg","data-attachmentid":32178943}[/ATTACH]

I'n not sure what's on the might like to own agenda for this year, but I'm looking at doing a Quilter Micro Pro Combo. Which one I'm not sure yet.

The folks at Quilter says the 8" speaker one really nails some classic tones. I was thinking I really might need to 10" or 12" speaker amp. IDK.

Archived