Your best gear purchase of 2017 ?

AJ6stringsting

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice Camera!, I bought a D7200 on sale, I was also looking at the D7500, to replace my D300s, I use my Df however most of the time. With the motor in the body, you can get great deals on the D series lenses, like a f1.8 D 50mm for doing portraits, or an older 300mm D, a very sharp, high contrast, great color lens, built like a tank, and if you ever go full frame, they will work.

• Members

If you ever need info on anything just PM me, I'm a bit of a gear head on this stuff and also can give you some tips of getting better photo's. I sold off my Nikon 600mm prime and am looking at the lighter 200-500mm. Both are great for wildlife and birds also. I had a 70-300, I gave to my son to learn with. Be careful with going beyond 200mm with it, they kinda poop out in sharpness, at least the older ones did.

• Members

My Black Star 1 watt, I had shown before modded to a 1- 12 using an old alnico to bring out the warm lows and full tone, is my pick of gear. It is perfect for at home or playing along with acoustics. It can still drown them out (1/4 the loudness of a 100 watt tube amp) It really sounds great now, also adding better tubes, AU7 & AX7 really helped. [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t1WAMPB-1.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t125.4 KB ID:\t32130056","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32130056","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

• Members
My Black Star 1 watt' date=' I had shown before modded to a 1- 12 using an old anico to bring out the warm lows and full tone, is my pick of gear. It is perfect for at home or playing along with acoustics. It can still drown them out (1/4 the loudness of a 100 watt tube amp) It really sounds great now, also adding better tubes, AU7 & AX7 really helped. [ATTACH=JSON']{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t1WAMPB-1.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t125.4 KB ID:\t32130056","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32130056","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Larry, your work is a thing of beauty. I thought about you when looking at the two Silvertone Twin Twelve heads I may sell in the near future. One is pretty nice, the other is a parts donor.

• Members

The DLS VersaVibe. After much weeping and gnashing of teeth over my lost homemade 4ms phaseur fleur, I researched Univibe clones for months. Then one day this guy popped up at the Guitar Center by my work at a close out price of $90!! (Usual price is >$200.) I went home, read reviews, listened to clips, and the next day, it was mine. Only complaints are that the vintage setting (which I assume has no active tone shaping components) drops the volume a bit, and then the modern setting boosts it a bit more than necessary. Otherwise, it is an excellent Univibe clone. I LOVE the throb control. And it’s not noisy like my old pedal—it just doesn’t have two LFOs like the one I lost that fateful day in the rehearsal studio hallway.

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/core\/webkit-fake-url:\/\/b689c8a0-63a8-486c-8d17-1894323b2b90\/imagejpeg"}[/img2]

I believe this is the demo that convinced me to get it:

• Members

I haven't purchased anything for myself since... maybe 2009?

I had an orgy of spending between 2008 and 2009 and then I just... stopped.

In that time I've purchased a few stringed instruments for my better half. Got her a PRS S2 this year. Living vicariously, I guess.

• Members
I haven't purchased anything for myself since... maybe 2009?

I had an orgy of spending between 2008 and 2009 and then I just... stopped.

In that time I've purchased a few stringed instruments for my better half. Got her a PRS S2 this year. Living vicariously, I guess.

I'm kinda in the same space. In fact, the main gear purchase I did was two ukes for granddaughters. It's already paid off. They have learned how to find chords to songs, and the two of them are learning "Hey, Jude", complete with a bunch of passing chords that I don't know yet.

Archived