House Break In

facefirst

• Members

To this part, I doubt very seriously that I would soil myself. I would assume that the gun would be loaded as that would be the safest bet. You need to be calm in whatever situation you find yourself in. PERIOD. Some people are truly not scaredy cats and afraid of their own shadows man.

but point is, some thief breaking into your house isn't calm and isn't gonna tangle with a shotgun, just the sound is enough to send them scrambling for a way out. And again mthat was onyl if he couldn't have a working gun in his house due to wife/kids. I fully advocate gun ownership. Being a Marine I own several myself, because......

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."

Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Commander of American Forces in World War I

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Neil, when it comes to anything involving guns, you really are a pacifist douchenozzle.

If he run out in the street and shot them in the back, then he would be up for murder.

Whats wrong one of your fat whores sat on your face and starved the oxygen to your brain

also whats wrong with being a pacifist, I am a father and don't want to kill is that so wrong. I am not against guns for sport but some of the bollocks people talk about on here is just plain stupid. Laughable truth be told. This reminds me why I don't post here much now.

• Members

Fixed

Sure, if someone comes in with a gun and presents potential for harm to you or anybody in your family, then its time to shoot.

But if the robbers are obviously not going to do anything to you, then there is no point in shooting. Get descriptions and talk to neighbors for witnesses etc...

To say you will kill anyone who enters your house without asking any question simply makes you a dumb {censored}, like you can't even think on your own. Just point and shoot. WTF..

• Members

If I were you, I'd get a .44. If someone comes in again, just quietly get downstairs and say, "Well, punk, I know what you're thinking..." in your best Clint Eastwood voice. Immediate home invasion success.

On a serious note, I am happy to hear that you are okay physically. I am sure you have lost some comfort in your own home which is awful, but at least nothing worse than that happened.

• Members
Its sad to see how ready and willing everyone is to shoot and kill another person (ok, you have to protect yourself, but that doesn't change the fact of what has become of our society).

You really think that society as a whole is more willing to shoot people today than at any time in the past? Hell back when my dad was my age (he's 80 btw), he would have gotten a medal and an upstanding citizen award for shooting an intruder. This is clearly not the case today.

I consider myself a liberal, but one area where I am not liberal is the case of home defense. If someone is stupid enough to invade my home and threaten my family's safety, then they better be prepared for the consequences. You can't rely on the police for your safety. They're only around to give you speeding tickets in a timely manner (or committing crimes themselves :)).

• Members

Really ? So I can come to your house and rob you blind and you won't lift a finger ????????? What part of the owrd "robber" do you not understand & how sure can you be of thier intentions ?

Filing a claim on your homeowner's insurance >>>>>>> spending 2 years in prison for manslaughter or worse, or even the legal fees of defending yourself.

• Members

In Canada at least, if an armed intruder is caught in the house, we settle it over a timmies and good game of Canasta. If he wins then he gets to pick what ever he wants. If I win then he pays for the timmies and then leaves peacefully. The rest of the world kinda sucks!! Cheers, Lucius

• Members
Filing a claim on your homeowner's insurance >>>>>>> spending 2 years in prison for manslaughter or worse, or even the legal fees of defending yourself.

You assume that you KNOW that thier ONLY intention is robbery. When someone is breking into your house, are you supposed to stop and ask them ???

You can't file a claim when you are dead :idea:

• Members
In Canada at least, if an armed intruder is caught in the house, we settle it over a timmies and good game of Canasta. If he wins then he gets to pick what ever he wants. If I win then he pays for the timmies and then leaves peacefully. The rest of the world kinda sucks!! Cheers, Lucius

:lol: :lol:

:D

• Members

You really think that society as a whole is more willing to shoot people today than at any time in the past? Hell back when my dad was my age (he's 80 btw), he would have gotten a medal and an upstanding citizen award for shooting an intruder. This is clearly not the case today.

I consider myself a liberal, but one area where I am not liberal is the case of home defense. If someone is stupid enough to invade my home and threaten my family's safety, then they better be prepared for the consequences. You can't rely on the police for your safety. They're only around to give you speeding tickets in a timely manner (or committing crimes themselves
:)
).

I'm aware of that, if someone was to threaten my familys safety I would too, but that doesn't make it less sad a fact. Killing someone over a telly is sad, no matter if it happened in self defense or not.

• Members

And this

Most people just want your property. Lock yourself in the bedroom/bathroom/etc with your gun. Call police. If they come to the door warn them. If they try to get in the room with you shoot them. If they just steal your {censored} and leave file an insurance claim. Much better than splattering someones brain all over your wall for stealing your TV. Even if you did end up getting off w/o manslaughter the amount of time you are going to spend with police/lawyers/court/cleaning brain off your wall is just not worth my possessions that I can have returned through insurance.

• Members

Regardless of the laws, until you're the one writing and enforcing them, you are subject to the rules of the game. Killing a home invader puts you in a heap of legal peril. If you're willing to risk it, then by all means.

If I have a gun, and the home invader has a weapon, and it's him or me, I don't think I'd think twice. But that's a whole lot of "if" in one statement to be able to speak in absolutes.

• Members

I gotta disagree with that. There's too many other houses to bother going back to the same house and risk getting caught/killed. Thanks for the mojo though. A gun purchase is in my near future.

Good for you.

Get a good automatic with at least 9 or more rounds in the magazine.

No homeowner should be unarmed if he has family living with him. If you live alone then you are only risking your own life (which I would do anyway), but with a wife or kids I believe it is the man's duty to protect his home.

Go to a range....read everything you can about gun ownership and gun handling (don't forget maintenance, most failure to fire is due to an unclean gun). Keep your finger off the trigger until and unless you are ready to shoot. Do not shoot to wound, that is needless heroics but can get you killed. No, shoot for center mass, that is a 12" radius with the center being basically just between the ribs and a few inches below the throat.

Good luck, I do not think these guys will return, but you are right on time with your attitude about getting a gun. Get an auto because they hold more rounds, and a handgun is superior to a rifle in a close setting such as inside a home. Bad guys can take a rifle from you, but it is a loot more difficult to try and wrest a handgun from your hand.

• Members

I'm aware of that, if someone was to threaten my familys safety I would too, but that doesn't make it less sad a fact. Killing someone over a telly is sad, no matter if it happened in self defense or not.

Really each situation is going to be different and if at all possible I wouldn't just blindly start plugging away at someone. If the guy falls to his knees and begs me not to shoot him or turns around and hightails it, then I definitely wouldn't shoot. However, if I see someone in my house and it's pretty obvious that a) They have a weapon on them, or b) There are several of them, then my chances of shooting first and asking questions later have just gone up drastically.

• Members

Really ? So I can come to your house and rob you blind and you won't lift a finger ????????? What part of the owrd "robber" do you not understand & how sure can you be of thier intentions ?

If you actually use your brain a little bit, even though it might hurt, there are some ways to deal with home robbery OTHER than running down the stairs with two AK's blaring hoping to hit someone.

If you are going to own weapons for home defence, then you should also train on how to use your weapon, and how to handle a breakin. There is so much to it, it is a full art with its own set of tactics. My thinking would go along these lines here:

Situation: You hear someone in your house, and you confirm that it is a robber, they don't know you are there.

1. Get everyone in the same room together and gather your weapons.

2. Call 911, or have someone else call quitely while you prepare your weapon(s). Give location, reason for call, and what you are about to do - then leave the line open. Make sure they are sending someone before moving.

3. Investigate the intruders through sound, and then move to a part of the house where they can gain no tactical advantage over you.

4. Move onto the intruders with your weapon ready using walls as cover in case of armed intruders.

5. When you have a visual, examine if they are armed. If they look like they don't have any weapons then you can move in on them.

6. If there are only two, you can take one down before the other even has time to react, so you can go. Use your judgement, if you can take them or if you are outnumbered, you might have to take a defensive position with cover. Wait to see if they are leaving or if they will be there for a while. Its always better to wait for authorities. You can act as backup so the robbers cannot leave. If it seems like they are done and leaving, then #7

7. Move in on them. If you are confident you can take them with your weapon, then use your voice loud and clear. "Hands up, down on your knees" while pointing your weapon. At this point you can make them wait until the cops arrive, or shoot if they move. This is a tricky {censored}ing situation, and #6 is much preffered. If any of them reach for something at this point you can shoot. If they start running, at least you have a description. Always keep sight of all intruders at all time to see if one is still a threat.

8. If police arrive before you face them, then you let the cops do what they do. Your only job at this point is to prevent harm to you or youf family, so stay behind good cover ready to shoot. If police enter, let them know of your presence and that you are the owner of the house, and where your family is. They will deal with you then.

In the end, not only would you have all your {censored}, your family is safe, you are safe, and there are much greater chances of the police apprehending the thieves. Now you are a local hero and people can't beleive your set of balls.

But of course you can just start shooting because you watch movies and think its cool and {censored}.

• Members

Another idea for the OP, since he already has an alarm... you know that most alarm systems can accept remote controled panic buttons, right? You install them on a 24-hour zone or a panic button input, or you can call a technitian if you haven't got a clue. This way next time you hear a sound, you can press the button (you can carry it around in your pocket, or have several around the house, on the coffe table, next to your pc, next to your bed etc), and it's sure bet the thieves will leave your yard, and not try to come inside to find you and shoot you (unless you are part of the mafia or something lol). This way you wouldn't even have to consider using your gun, with all the implications this has...

• Members

I got my Calif. CCW 6 months ago. In the class we went through hours of scenarios of when lethal force is to be used. This doesn't make me the expert, but it does give me more info than the average lay person.

Interestingly enough, In Ca, most home robberies are committed by criminals without guns. Our 3 strikes laws and those that add weight to committing a felony with a gun seem to deter the average crackhead from carrying.

Using lethal force is only justified if you, your family, or another individual is in physical danger. You can only use enough force to stop the immediate threat. Shooting an attacker is OK...shooting him 10 times will land you in jail. Shooting an assailant in the back while they are fleeing will get you in hot water...the attack is no longer viable.

If you shoot someone expect to be court...that was the mantra at the training I received.

• Members

Another idea for the OT, since he already has an alarm... you know that most alarm systems can accept remote controled panic buttons, right? You install them on a 24-hour zone or a panic button input, or you can call a technitian if you haven't got a clue. This way next time you hear a sound, you can press the button (you can carry it around in your pocket, or have several around the house, on the coffe table, next to your pc, next to your bed etc), and it's sure bet the thieves will leave your yard, and not try to come inside to find you and shoot you (unless you are part of the mafia or something lol). This way you wouldn't even have to consider using your gun, with all the implications this has...

I was particularily impressed with your gun planting scenario btw. :-) Cheers, Lucius

Archived