House Break In

facefirst

• Members

Or you can enjoy whatever they have blowing holes in your head. A gun is for shooting not for display and intimidation.

If someone broke into my house and I had a gun and heard someone rack a shotgun you better believe I'm going to start firing at them. Who in their right mind will turn around and run with a threat like that at your back? That's no other option type behavior.

What the {censored} are you talking about? I didn't say anything about the intruder having a shotgun or being armed at all.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In defense of yourself/property is not murder. Glad you were able to get the jump on them and they were pussies.

WRONG

I'm not trying to earn a point at your expense, but that is not entirely true and dangerous for someone to believe it is.

If you are acting in the defense of yourself or another person, use of deadly force is allowed. It is NOT allowed by law, and at the very least can be considered manslaughter if deadly force is used in defense of your property.

Of course laws vary state by state, so deadly force in defense of property may be allowed where you live, but it's certainly not universal, and it's best to be safe rather than sorry in this sort of situation. Regardless, anyone who owns a weapon needs to know the laws where they live (and also any other jurisdiction where they might use it) before ever using it. Soooooooooooooo important.

• Members

God kid...you're such a douche.
:facepalm:

BTW shooting someone in the back is murder regardless of whether they are armed. Someone is much less likely to shoot you if you're facing away from them.

I'm a douche? You're Captain Full of {censored}. You know everything about everything. :lol: Go {censored} yourself.

I'm sure the illegal mexican that broke into your house is worried about shooting you in the back and how that would be illegal. Now breaking in and shooting you in the front that's totally legal...er.. If logic isn't your strong point then it isn't your strong point.

• Members

I'm not trying to earn a point at your expense, but that is not entirely true and dangerous for someone to believe it is.

If you are acting in the defense of yourself or another person, use of deadly force is allowed. It is NOT allowed by law, and at the very least can be considered manslaughter if deadly force is used in defense of your property.

WRONG

If it is determined to be in self defense there are no charges. There is no "murder" or "manslaughter."

• Members

What the {censored} are you talking about? I didn't say anything about the intruder having a shotgun or being armed at all.

So because they are the intruder they react to a threat different than someone that isn't a criminal? My point was to explain why threatening an armed assailant Vs. just ending an armed assailant is a bad idea. If the criminal is a pro, he is going to try to kill you before you can kill him. If he's not he might run, or he might just be jumpy and start firing all over the place in your direction. Neither of which is ideal. If by some chance my location was unknown, I'd prefer to keep it that way than let them know exactly where I am by racking a gun.

• Members

I'm a douche? You're Captain Full of {censored}. You know everything about everything.
:lol:
Go {censored} yourself.

I'm sure the illegal mexican that broke into your house is worried about shooting you in the back and how that would be illegal. Now breaking in and shooting you in the front that's totally legal...er.. If logic isn't your strong point then it isn't your strong point.

Apparently you are the one with logic problems. I'm saying if you shoot the intruder in the back then you're going down for murder.

• Members

Who is talking about over a possession? Your from SC not Texas. Everything I've said is legal here in Texas. Don't know about your state.

And I said as much already.

The point being, it doesn't hold true for everyone, so it's best not to just tell anyone it'd be ok.

And you are talking about over a possession. "Property" can be anything from a personal item on you, to your land. And while it might be ok in TX, in most states it won't be ok to kill someone over any kind of property at all.

• Members

come to Florida :) Here you can gun 'em down in the yard. Seriously.

Bw, if you have kids/anti-gun wife, her is what I reccomend. Get the cheapest pump shotgun you can find & remove the firing pin. This way it won't be able to fire (kids safety) but you will still have the "click clack" noise that scares the hell out of thieves & push come to shove, it also works great as a club.

mojo sent & get the hell out of Cleveland

• Members

I would call the police and let the neighborhood know as well. Also, the shotgun is the best home defense. I would load it with buck shot, but you could load it with a 6 or 7 bird shot if you want to maim. The caveat there is that if you blow their face off and they live, they will probably sue you and some dumb {censored} jury will award them $3 million. Also, unless you plan on spending many nights at the shooting range, pistols are pretty much {censored} for defense.

Actually in 31 states with "Castle law" they can't sue in civil court either. Someone posted the wiki link on page 1 and it's a good read.

• Members

SELF defense. You kill somebody over a possession, and it's found to be the case, you're going away.

Again that wiki link is a great source of information. The castle law allows you to use deadly force if the person invading the home shows intent to commit ANY felony. So yea. You can kill the dude invading your home over his intent just to rob you....in 31 states.

• Members

Apparently you are the one with logic problems. I'm saying if you shoot the intruder in the back then you're going down for murder.

My whole argument is based around the fact that racking a gun isn't going to have the effect you think it will. Just as I wouldn't trust my enemy at my back with a shotgun, a lot of them aren't going to count on your good will or not wanting to go down for murder. They are going to feel super threatened. When you threaten someone that's armed you're taking heavy chances. Now you've given away your location and scared an armed criminal. Do you really not see that you're inviting a disaster with that? The smart choice... either keep your location unknown and hope they leave, or fire your gun with the intent of taking them down. None of this scare them away with a sound bull{censored}.

For the record shooting someone in the back in not always going to get you found guilty. Hell some dude here shot two guys in the back... running away from his neighbors house and didn't get charged. In any case, you are the foremost authority on pretty much anything. I'll try to remember that in the future. Idiot.

• Members

And I said as much already.

The point being, it doesn't hold true for everyone, so it's best not to just tell anyone it'd be ok.

And you are talking about over a possession. "Property" can be anything from a personal item on you, to your land. And while it might be ok in TX, in most states it won't be ok to kill someone over any kind of property at all.

Sorry for the communication... especially anyone that went out and shot your neighbor trying to borrow your rake. :lol:

I guess I chose the wrong words. To me property is a home. Personal property is possessions.

• Members

So because they are the intruder they react to a threat different than someone that isn't a criminal? My point was to explain why threatening an armed assailant Vs. just ending an armed assailant is a bad idea. If the criminal is a pro, he is going to try to kill you before you can kill him. If he's not he might run, or he might just be jumpy and start firing all over the place in your direction. Neither of which is ideal. If by some chance my location was unknown, I'd prefer to keep it that way than let them know exactly where I am by racking a gun.

Talking out of your ass.. pro criminal, he might be jumpy and might be firing everywhere. You are just speculating about those imaginary break ins in your mind where you are always ready and you were so stealth that you picked them off with one shot between the eyes! Bravo...

I bet you've never been in a situation where a gun was pulled on you. If u have been in that situation you'd probably know, it usually doesn't happen when you are expecting it. You're situation where you're holed up in you're position ready to strike is Hollywood, and very unlikely to how it will happen. But keep acting all big and Texas.

That kind of false bravado is what also ends up getting you killed.

• Members

Talking out of your ass.. pro criminal, he might be jumpy and might be firing everywhere. You are just speculating about those imaginary break ins in your mind where you are always ready and you were so stealth that you picked them off with one shot between the eyes! Bravo...

I bet you've never been in a situation where a gun was pulled on you. If u have been in that situation you'd probably know, it usually doesn't happen when you are expecting it.
You're situation where you're holed up in you're position ready to strike is Hollywood, and very unlikely to how it will happen. But keep acting all big and Texas.

That kind of false bravado is what also ends up getting you killed.

Wow ok... so what exactly are you suggesting? It sounds like a number of you would run from a bullet and expect a criminal to do the same. If you rack your {censored}ing gun you've given away the most important advantage you may have had. Also.. the bolded part. The OP of this thread could've done that easily. If I heard someone break in I know where they are coming from. Until I make a sound they DON'T know where I am. How very {censored}ing Hollywood. There is no bravado here just common sense. Do I stand a better chance firing back at my attacker or hauling ass in the other direction? If I was willing to count on the good nature of people breaking into my house I guess I wouldn't need the gun at all. Since I can't I'm not going to leave myself open to a shot from them unless I have no other option. Oh and guns have been pulled in my presence so maybe you should back up with your bull{censored} too.

• Members

In Ohio it is illegal to shoot someone that has broken into your house unless you can prove that they actually intended to harm you or someone elses life.

Not that my own first reaction wouldn't be to shoot first ask questions later. But you are really just better off locking yourself in a room with a gun and calling the cops. If you have homeowners/renters insurance that should cover anything stolen. IMO a tv, computer, playstation, etc, etc is not worth someones life.

• Members

I already said that I believe you should take other measures (alarm, neighborhood watch etc) before resulting to killing someone, but if you are determined to do it, here's what many people over here do: also have a fake gun handy (toy gun etc), so if you kill someone in your house, you can place it in his hand (no fingerprints!) and then call the cops. I still believe it's wrong though, just stating what many people around here have in mind.

And as ENdtime stated, they probaly gonna get you in your sleep, or in front of the telly, so unless you sleep with a gun in your hand, having a gun isn't gonna help much. Having an alarm system in STAY mode will.

And if you noticed, they ringed the bell and thought the property was empty, that's why they entered, otherwise they would have gone away, or the alarm would have gone off.

• Members

My whole argument is based around the fact that racking a gun isn't going to have the effect you think it will. Just as I wouldn't trust my enemy at my back with a shotgun, a lot of them aren't going to count on your good will or not wanting to go down for murder. They are going to feel super threatened. When you threaten someone that's armed you're taking heavy chances. Now you've given away your location and scared an armed criminal. Do you really not see that you're inviting a disaster with that? The smart choice... either keep your location unknown and hope they leave, or fire your gun with the intent of taking them down. None of this scare them away with a sound bull{censored}.

For the record shooting someone in the back in not always going to get you found guilty. Hell some dude here shot two guys in the back... running away from his neighbors house and didn't get charged. In any case, you are the foremost authority on pretty much anything. I'll try to remember that in the future. Idiot.

I can guarantee racking your shotgun, even when you have an armed intruder is going to make them re-evaluate their situation. You can spout all you want, but the reality is the psychological effect of knowing that someone in a house that you just broke into has a big {censored}ing gun and is willing to cut you in half with it, coupled with them (the owners) knowing the home layout and you (the intruder) do not, changes {censored}.

You're acting like these people breaking into your home are coming for a gun fight when typically all they want to do is get in and get out with some {censored} they can sell for drugs. The OP stated they knocked first to see if anyone was home, then broke in.

If this was a home invasion style situation all bets are off, someone shows up, blasts your door down, shoves a gun in your face and beats, rapes and kills your entire family, unless you have a gun on you 24/7 you're {censored}ed.

Get a big loud dog and hope these people think your neighbor is a better target than you.

I live on a hill overlooking my property, my driveway is as long as a city block, my entire property is fenced (1 acre with electric fencing), I have two good sized dogs, double entrances to all of my outside doors and motion detector lights outside. If someone has the balls to come all the way up my driveway, and sees my snarling 100+lb dog standing there barking his ass off and still wants in, he'll likely be leaving covered in a blood soaked sheet.

• Members

Wow ok... so what exactly are you suggesting? It sounds like a number of you would run from a bullet and expect a criminal to do the same. If you rack your {censored}ing gun you've given away the most important advantage you may have had. Also.. the bolded part. The OP of this thread could've done that easily. If I heard someone break in I know where they are coming from. Until I make a sound they DON'T know where I am. How very {censored}ing Hollywood. There is no bravado here just common sense. Do I stand a better chance firing back at my attacker or hauling ass in the other direction? If I was willing to count on the good nature of people breaking into my house I guess I wouldn't need the gun at all. Since I can't I'm not going to leave myself open to a shot from them unless I have no other option. Oh and guns have been pulled in my presence so maybe you should back up with your bull{censored} too.

If you know someone breaking in your house at that exact moment then of course you be smart about it and take up a position. But that's generally not how it happens. Usually you are the one who is at a disadvantage.

And you've had guns pulled against you? Then they must be dead, right? Lol

I've had a gun pointed straight to my face. I'm alive. its all.about being smart and using your senses. If I could have killed the guy and not been killed in the process, I would have. That situation didn't arise. I kept calm and didn't panic. Kinda surprised myself, tbh.

All I'm saying is you are bringing up only situations where u are in control. Usually in a home invasion, you will be caught by surprise and you won't be in control.

• Members

a friend of mine went to jail for 2 years for shooting a guy that invaded his home and he had a permit for his own gun. He shot the guy as he was running away from him on his front lawn. reguardless, he got 2 {censored}ing years for that and im pretty sure he was raped in prison multiple times, i never asked he never said anything but he didnt come out the same. Frightening {censored}.

• Members

It's a standard criminal tactic in canvassing the area knocking on doors , looking for elderly and other potential targets . Chances are they are out in the neighborhood again today . OP needs to call the cops and good chance they will pickup 2 cholos in the near future .

• Members

If you know someone breaking in your house at that exact moment then of course you be smart about it and take up a position. But that's generally not how it happens. Usually you are the one who is at a disadvantage.

And you've had guns pulled against you? Then they must be dead, right? Lol

I've had a gun pointed straight to my face. I'm alive. its all.about being smart and using your senses. If I could have killed the guy and not been killed in the process, I would have. That situation didn't arise. I kept calm and didn't panic. Kinda surprised myself, tbh.

All I'm saying is you are bringing up only situations where u are in control. Usually in a home invasion, you will be caught by surprise and you won't be in control.

Had a .44 magnum shoved in my grill during a robbery, a certain peace comes over you as you contemplate your possible end.:lol:

Archived