House Break In

facefirst

• Members

Again that wiki link is a great source of information. The castle law allows you to use deadly force if the person invading the home shows intent to commit ANY felony. So yea. You can kill the dude invading your home over his intent just to rob you....in 31 states.

:idea:Breaking and Entering alone is a felony dude:idea:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really, racking a shotgun will make most people run, even if they are armed. That's some scary {censored}. One shot almost always kills with a shotgun, and it's hard to miss. Think about being on the other end of that. I wouldn't stick around.

Its very easy to miss with a shotgun, at most inside a house ranges you are only talking about a shot spread of about fist sized. Plus if its farther than that a single buckshot has crap for stopping power.

Most people who just see shotguns in a movie think it some sort of demonic street sweeping weapon of death, and while it kicks all sort of ass in reality you still have to aim.

• Members

Every state defines it differently. In some, you cannot shoot someone in your yard (I suppose if he is shooting at your house and windows you can). You can't even use deadly force if they are trying to break into your car.
In fact, even if they are in your house, unless they are attacking you or someone else, you cannot use deadly force, so if he turns to run and you shoot him, you go down.

I don't agree with this. Careful rules of engagement are fine for police. That's where the whole concept of rights and innocent until proven guilty apply. But when you are being victimized, and in the midst of it happening, I think the law is all wrong in requiring police-like attention to "rules". If you are in my house and you don't belong there, for whatever reason, if you get killed that should be, at worst, a tragedy, not a crime. And if you are trying to steal my car and the only way I can stop you is shooting you from an upstairs window, that too should be just your tough luck.

I may be a liberal, even a progressive, but I believe you have the right to defend yourself, your family and friends, your house and your property, and those who violate it do so at their own risk. The law in several states may disagree with me, but that doesn't make the law morally correct.

• Members

a friend of mine went to jail for 2 years for shooting a guy that invaded his home and he had a permit for his own gun.
He shot the guy as he was running away from him on his front lawn.
reguardless, he got 2 {censored}ing years for that and im pretty sure he was raped in prison multiple times, i never asked he never said anything but he didnt come out the same. Frightening {censored}.

That's why he went to prison.

• Members

I can guarantee racking your shotgun, even when you have an armed intruder is going to make them re-evaluate their situation. You can spout all you want, but the reality is the psychological effect of knowing that someone in a house that you just broke into has a big {censored}ing gun and is willing to cut you in half with it, coupled with them (the owners) knowing the home layout and you (the intruder) do not, changes {censored}.

You're acting like these people breaking into your home are coming for a gun fight when typically all they want to do is get in and get out with some {censored} they can sell for drugs. The OP stated they knocked first to see if anyone was home, then broke in.

If this was a home invasion style situation all bets are off, someone shows up, blasts your door down, shoves a gun in your face and beats, rapes and kills your entire family, unless you have a gun on you 24/7 you're {censored}ed.

Get a big loud dog and hope these people think your neighbor is a better target than you.

I live on a hill overlooking my property, my driveway is as long as a city block, my entire property is fenced (1 acre with electric fencing), I have two good sized dogs, double entrances to all of my outside doors and motion detector lights outside. If someone has the balls to come all the way up my driveway, and sees my snarling 100+lb dog standing there barking his ass off and still wants in, he'll likely be leaving covered in a blood soaked sheet.

Well I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll just shoot some warning shots into the air. Hell if a rack will make them reevaluate then actual shots should really do the trick. Some people do break in with the intention of harming you. Not everyone breaks in just to steal {censored}. All I'm advising is to intend to do harm and not count on scaring people. I know people that have shotguns for the exact reason you said that don't even have shells in them because they expect your little trick to end any situation. I'm sure it will work sometimes... and it will get you killed sometimes. Unfortunately you only get to die once so I'm sticking to killing the threat and not scaring it.

• Members

a friend of mine went to jail for 2 years for shooting a guy that invaded his home and he had a permit for his own gun. He shot the guy as he was running away from him on his front lawn. reguardless, he got 2 {censored}ing years for that and im pretty sure he was raped in prison multiple times, i never asked he never said anything but he didnt come out the same. Frightening {censored}.

This.

OP, Ohio has NOT adopted the Castle Doctrine, so, if you want to fire a gun at someone, you better be prepared for the legal {censored} that comes after it. This is the one thing that all you 'hotshots' miss when you tell someone to be Rambo.

You already said it in your OP, move out of Cleveland.

• Members

Come on Neil. Please don't start this here. It's not murder when you are protecting your safety.

To the OP...get a Mossberg 500A1. Load it with alternating #4 buckshot and slug rounds. Hit someone with that and there's going to be bits of them all over the place.

A mossburg is a great choice but i wouldnt recommend slugs or #4 buck.

Slugs are really only good for bear or for longer range(for a shotgun) hunting. While slugs are very lethal they also penetrate about 3 feet of ballistic gel and if you are in a neighborhood overpenetration of that sort is a major problem. #4 Buck is an ok defense round but really 00buck is usually best.

• Members

What happens if you shoot the guy dead in your house, pasted all over the kitchen by your shotgun, would you still live in the house after that?
If he is unarmed can you be charged?
I am all for defending myself and family but I'd have to move house after that.

• Members
:idea:Breaking and Entering alone is a felony dude:idea:

Dude. Read the wiki link. :idea: The way the "castle law" is worded he must have the intent to commit a felony inside the home. Not the felony of breaking in. I would think things like robbery, rape,selling you drugs whatever....but the "breaking in felony" doesn't apply towards that.

• Members

a friend of mine went to jail for 2 years for shooting a guy that invaded his home and he had a permit for his own gun. He shot the guy as he was running away from him on his front lawn. reguardless, he got 2 {censored}ing years for that and im pretty sure he was raped in prison multiple times, i never asked he never said anything but he didnt come out the same. Frightening {censored}.

Your friend murdered a guy. He's lucky he only got 2 years. When a guy is running away across your front lawn and you kill him it's no longer about self defense and all about revenge.

• Members

I can guarantee racking your shotgun, even when you have an armed intruder is going to make them re-evaluate their situation. You can spout all you want, but the reality is the psychological effect of knowing that someone in a house that you just broke into has a big {censored}ing gun and is willing to cut you in half with it, coupled with them (the owners) knowing the home layout and you (the intruder) do not, changes {censored}.

You're acting like these people breaking into your home are coming for a gun fight when typically all they want to do is get in and get out with some {censored} they can sell for drugs. The OP stated they knocked first to see if anyone was home, then broke in.

If this was a home invasion style situation all bets are off, someone shows up, blasts your door down, shoves a gun in your face and beats, rapes and kills your entire family, unless you have a gun on you 24/7 you're {censored}ed.

Get a big loud dog and hope these people think your neighbor is a better target than you.

I live on a hill overlooking my property, my driveway is as long as a city block, my entire property is fenced (1 acre with electric fencing), I have two good sized dogs, double entrances to all of my outside doors and motion detector lights outside. If someone has the balls to come all the way up my driveway, and sees my snarling 100+lb dog standing there barking his ass off and still wants in, he'll likely be leaving covered in a blood soaked sheet.

Exactly, unless they know a {censored} ton of cash or other extremely valuable items are in your house and they absolutely need to have it, they definitely aren't gonna stick around and have a gun fight. If I had a shotgun and knew someone was in my house, I'd rack the shotgun and yell out the cops have been called and I'll kill them if they don't leave. I know we have some bad asses in here, but despite myself having a gun, I really don't want to have to use it. And as much as I'd like to see the person who broke in go to jail or be killed, I still value being alive more than seeing them get what's coming to them.

But again all speculation, so whoopty do!

Like the op said, maybe its time for him to move. Until the world degenerates to the point I have to worry about my life at all times, I'd rather just put myself in a.situation where I feel safer. Id still get some type of weapon and security system, but I'd rather have a little peace of mind first.

• Members

If you know someone breaking in your house at that exact moment then of course you be smart about it and take up a position. But that's generally not how it happens. Usually you are the one who is at a disadvantage.

And you've had guns pulled against you? Then they must be dead, right? Lol

I've had a gun pointed straight to my face. I'm alive. its all.about being smart and using your senses. If I could have killed the guy and not been killed in the process, I would have. That situation didn't arise. I kept calm and didn't panic. Kinda surprised myself, tbh.

All I'm saying is you are bringing up only situations where u are in control. Usually in a home invasion, you will be caught by surprise and you won't be in control.

I'm not sure why you're trying to be a douche as I've said nothing but logical {censored}. We are talking about a specific situation. If they catch me by surprise I guess I won't have the option of scaring them out with my shotgun racking sound either will I? But since we're talking about a situation where obviously you have the shotty in your hands... why would I choose to alert them to my position vs just firing on them? So MAYBE they run away? Take those chances with your life if you want to. Some situations you have no choice and you are at the mercy of someone else. In a situation like we were talking about where you are in an unknown location and have a shotgun, you do have choices so get off the surprise BS.

• Members

Dude. Read the wiki link.
:idea:
The way the "castle law" is worded he must have the intent to commit a felony inside the home. Not the felony of breaking in. I would think things like robbery, rape,selling you drugs whatever....but the "breaking in felony" doesn't apply towards that.

If he breaks and enters my home and even contemplates taking a pee in my bathroom, I consider that criminal trespass and that is a felony.

• Members

Exactly, unless they know a {censored} ton of cash or other extremely valuable items are in your house and they absolutely need to have it, they definitely aren't gonna stick around and have a gun fight. If I had a shotgun and knew someone was in my house, I'd rack the shotgun and yell out the cops have been called and I'll kill them if they don't leave. I know we have some bad asses in here, but despite myself having a gun, I really don't want to have to use it. And as much as I'd like to see the person who broke in go to jail or be killed, I still value being alive more than seeing them get what's coming to them.

I guess it depends on the layout of your house. My house is very open. If you run someone can get a shot on you if they want it. The end. You talk about not taking chances with your life but I'm assuming anyone in my house will realize running will leave them open too. Then the best they can hope for is that I won't shoot ir that I suck at it. I don't like the idea of counting on that myself so I just assume others would feel the same.

• Members

jesus. just let it go dirty harry. we get that you're a cold blooded badass.

So did you even read it or? If they get the drop on you you don't get to rack your shotgun and scare them either so its not really relevant to the conversation. Its not about being a badass. Its about defending yourself. If you find that making sound is a good way to do it then do it.

• Members

I am with Mesa4x12er here. The sound of racking a shotgun alone isn't a deterrent that I am willing to stake my life or the life and well being of my family on. I would not have a problem of shooting someone in my home. They are there solely for the reason of their own enrichment and by that alone to do me no good.

• Members

Apparently you are the one with logic problems. I'm saying if you shoot the intruder in the back then you're going down for murder.

maybe in Virginia, but in Texas you can call the cops, have them on the line telling you not to shoot, and STILL shoot/kill the fleeing robbers without getting charged. True story, and was all over the news. The recorded 911 call is all over the internet and you can listen yourself.

Geoff - very sorry to hear what happened, sir. Hope you get out of Cleveland soon, and in the mean time stay safe.

• Members

Well I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll just shoot some warning shots into the air. Hell if a rack will make them reevaluate then actual shots should really do the trick. Some people do break in with the intention of harming you. Not everyone breaks in just to steal {censored}. All I'm advising is to intend to do harm and not count on scaring people. I know people that have shotguns for the exact reason you said that don't even have shells in them because they expect your little trick to end any situation. I'm sure it will work sometimes... and it will get you killed sometimes. Unfortunately you only get to die once so I'm sticking to killing the threat and not scaring it.

You're still not getting it, I didn't say sit in some room and rack your shot gun to scare off an intruder, you said that. I said the sound of that would usually get someone out of your house just on it's own. So, quit with the snarky "I'll just rack my shotgun to scare them away", you're a {censored}ing broken record.

• Members

That's why he went to prison.

Yeah, shot an asshole fleeing from the scene of his crime. That's good reason for the state to make sure you get forcibly sodomized for 2 years.

I may be a liberal but my sympathy for a suspect and his rights doesn't begin until he's in police custody. But the law disagrees with me.

• Members

You're still not getting it, I didn't say sit in some room and rack your shot gun to scare off an intruder, you said that. I said the sound of that would usually get someone out of your house just on it's own. So, quit with the snarky "I'll just rack my shotgun to scare them away", you're a {censored}ing broken record.

And you're a {censored}ing idiot for thinking making noise is a good deterrent because you heard it worked one time. I sincerely don't care what you do to defend yourself or do to get your ass shot up. Our conversation is over buddy. :wave:

Archived