House Break In

facefirst

• Members

a crime. And if you are trying to steal my car and the only way I can stop you is shooting you from an upstairs window, that too should be just your tough luck.

That's what insurance should be for. Someone could be crazy enough to shoot you just for standing next to his car, with no intention to even touching it, and don't tell me that's unlikely to happen.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
So yesterday around 1 (I work from home) my doorbell rang. I didn't answer right away because I wasn't expecting anyone. When I came downstairs there was no one there. Didn't think too much of it because people tend to stop by trying to sell {censored}. So a few minutes later I hear a noise towards the back of the house, while I'm upstairs. At first I thought it might have been the cat. Then I hear more noise and it's obvious someone is in the house. I bolted downstairs to see two Hispanic {censored}s, one is climbing through the kitchen window and the other is still outside. I rushed the first one yelling "You're gonna die!!" and he bolts out the window. They both take off out the back of the yard and jump our fence with me chasing them with a hardcore kitchen knife.

Firstly, I'm getting a gun and CCW permit. Secondly, I should have gotten it six months ago when I first thought of doing it after my dad got his. Had I had a gun I would have put bullets in that {censored} before he even saw me and I wouldn't have felt bad about it for a minute.

Regardless, I'm done with living in Cleveland. I'm moving out to a nice quiet suburb. I hate to say this but living in Cleveland has definitely made me a bit on the racist side.

I know, CSB/A2M/GAPE/MURDER/SUICIDE/TL;DR
:p

Sorry to hear this happened to you.

First of all, you are not a racist, nor even tending to it. Those who commit crimes are the ones who make an impression on those who are the recipient of these crimes. I don't see any middle class people of any race climbing through someone else's windows, do you?! I'm sure if you met someone of a specific ethnic background, who was middle class or better and acted as the norm in this country for those in that category, you would not be thinking of their ethnic background.

In my line of work I only deal with the lowest of the lower classes. It is just part of the job, unfortunately. You should hear what goes on in my head sometimes.

Living in the suburbs of Cleveland may not be far enough away from it. Crime goes on there as well and why shouldn't it. The class of living is higher and the best "pickins" will be had there.

As for shooting an intruder, several policemen on different occasions told me that if I shot someone coming through a window, or door, to make sure I dragged them inside. Whether it is in self defense or not is another matter up to the courts to decide. I would at least shoot them in the leg to slow them down. That is all.

• Members

Yeah, shot an asshole fleeing from the scene of his crime. That's good reason for the state to make sure you get forcibly sodomized for 2 years.

I may be a liberal but my sympathy for a suspect and his rights doesn't begin until he's in police custody. But the law disagrees with me.

Actually, it is good reason. He was no longer in danger at that point. Nowhere does the law allow for revenge because you got robbed.

At this point this thread is just :confused:

• Members
I am with Mesa4x12er here.
The sound of racking a shotgun alone isn't a deterrent that I am willing to stake my life or the life and well being of my family on. I would not have a problem of shooting someone in my home.
They are there solely for the reason of their own enrichment and by that alone to do me no good.

WWJD? {censored} second chances, shoot that bitch of course. :lol:

• Members

I am with Mesa4x12er here.
The sound of racking a shotgun alone isn't a deterrent
that I am willing to stake my life or the life and well being of my family on. I would not have a problem of shooting someone in my home. They are there solely for the reason of their own enrichment and by that alone to do me no good.

Mesa4x12er came up with that bull{censored}, no one said the sound of a shot gun being racked should be the deterrent, the knowing that there is an armed person willing to use that gun is the deterrent, and no I wouldn't think twice about pulling the trigger if someone decided to enter my home and possibly endanger my family.

• Members

a friend of mine went to jail for 2 years for shooting a guy that invaded his home and he had a permit for his own gun. He shot the guy as he was running away from him on his front lawn. reguardless, he got 2 {censored}ing years for that and im pretty sure he was raped in prison multiple times, i never asked he never said anything but he didnt come out the same. Frightening {censored}.

That reminds me of the American History X movie, minus the racist story

• Members

maybe in Virginia, but in Texas you can call the cops, have them on the line telling you not to shoot, and STILL shoot/kill the fleeing robbers without getting charged. True story, and was all over the news. The recorded 911 call is all over the internet and you can listen yourself.

Geoff - very sorry to hear what happened, sir. Hope you get out of Cleveland soon, and in the mean time stay safe.

I still can't believe that incident to this day. From reading the news reports after the incident it seemed like the guy had all kinds of regrets for what he did. We talk all big here, but the truth is that if we were in that situation we wouldn't know how we would react during or even after the incident.

I'm siding with Mesa on this one though, racking a shotgun is poor tactics. You give away your position and you've just possibly escalated the situation to one that might turn violent. If you trigger the intruders fight or flight response, they might choose to fight if they feel that they have no other option. There are several things you might be able to do before alerting the intruder to your presense. You may be able to find out if they are armed, you may be able to pick a better defensive position, you might be able to figure out their intentions.

The first thing you should be doing is calling 911 and staying on the phone, Next, I'm getting my family in a defensive area with weapons if I'm armed. If I can see that they are armed I'm seizing the advantage of surprise and defending myself to stop the threat, if I can acertain they are not armed, I'm holding position and counting on the cops to do their job and scare the intruders away or catch them, avoiding legal troubles and loss of life if possible.

• Members

I am with Mesa4x12er here. The sound of racking a shotgun alone isn't a deterrent that I am willing to stake my life or the life and well being of my family on. I would not have a problem of shooting someone in my home. They are there solely for the reason of their own enrichment and by that alone to do me no good.

The only reason I mentioned the non-firing shotgun, is in case he had kids he didn't want around guns or a wife who wouldn't let him have one in the house. In other words if you can't havwe a working gun in the house.

btw, if you think racking a shotgun won't make someone crap thier pants, think again. Everyone knows that noise, especially criminals. Bet if I snuck up behind you and racked it, you'd soil yourself. Especially since you don't know if it's loaded or not.

• Members

Actually, it is good reason. He was no longer in danger at that point. Nowhere does the law allow for revenge because you got robbed.

At this point this thread is just
:confused:

Oh, I agree that the law doesn't allow revenge, and I agree that it shouldn't. But you are confused.

Stopping a perpetrator from leaving the scene of his crime, even by force, is not revenge, it's apprehension. You KNOW the asshole will otherwise get away with his crime, and will probably rob again. Sometimes "The Law is an ass!" --Shakespeare.

• Members
sorry to hear about your break in but {censored} guns, get a dog. a mastiff will roll on his back like a big baby for anyone you welcome into the house but your little mexican buddies would have been going to the hospital or morgue instead of getting away.

2352168800057144850S425x425Q85.jpg

That's a good looking pooch, but dude said he's got a 150lb Cane Corso already- can't really get a much more aggressive/protective member of the mastiff family than that

• Members
The only reason I mentioned the non-firing shotgun, is in case he had kids he didn't want around guns or a wife who wouldn't let him have one in the house. In other words if you
can't
havwe a working gun in the house.

btw, if you think racking a shotgun won't make someone crap thier pants, think again. Everyone knows that noise, especially criminals. Bet if I snuck up behind you and racked it, you'd soil yourself. Especially since you don't know if it's loaded or not.

Maybe he could just get a modeling shotgun - Snaxgun Ultra II :idea:

• Members

To this part, I doubt very seriously that I would soil myself. I would assume that the gun would be loaded as that would be the safest bet. You need to be calm in whatever situation you find yourself in. PERIOD. Some people are truly not scaredy cats and afraid of their own shadows man.

• Members

Oh, I agree that the law doesn't allow revenge, and I agree that it shouldn't. But you are confused.

Stopping a perpetrator from leaving the scene of his crime, even by force, is not revenge, it's apprehension. You KNOW the asshole will otherwise get away with his crime, and will probably rob again. Sometimes "The Law is an ass!" --Shakespeare.

Killing them won't change the outcome of what just happened to your home. You've already been robbed. At that point it's time to let the professionals step in and do their job.

Shooting while they're in the act, because you fear for your life is a different story.

just carry insurance on your stuff, and have it replaced. It's just stuff.

• Members

Sure assuming you use a non lethal form of apprehension.

I don't know that that is true. Did the friend shoot to kill or shoot in the legs? I'm not even sure you can use ANY force that actually injures the perpetrator.

Plus, I think it's unfair to ask that level of legal fine-tuning of a victim. A LEO? Sure, that's what training's about.

• Members

If someone wants to break into my home and make me feel like I'm in danger, yes, I wouldn't hesitate to take his life and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it. I'm not trying to sound like an internet tough guy. I never get in fights and would never just go around killing people. But in that situation, I'm not taking any chances and I sure as {censored} am not going to feel bad for killing some piece of {censored}. Not for a second.

That's a pretty morbid thing to say. If the guy came into your house after your warning and attempted to subdue or harm you, then of course that is time to empty the clips. But if the guy runs off, dont {censored}ing kill him, that's just a very stupid thing to do. It would say alot about how much of a douchebag you are. Come on, your pride is NOT worth the life of anyone.

• Members

And you're a {censored}ing idiot for thinking making noise is a good deterrent because you heard it worked one time. I sincerely don't care what you do to defend yourself or do to get your ass shot up. Our conversation is over buddy.
:wave:

You stupid {censored} I never said the sound was the deterrent, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

• Members

I can guarantee racking your shotgun, even when you have an armed intruder is going to make them re-evaluate their situation. You can spout all you want, but the reality is the psychological effect of knowing that someone in a house that you just broke into has a big {censored}ing gun and is willing to cut you in half with it, coupled with them (the owners) knowing the home layout and you (the intruder) do not, changes {censored}.

You're acting like these people breaking into your home are coming for a gun fight when typically all they want to do is get in and get out with some {censored} they can sell for drugs. The OP stated they knocked first to see if anyone was home, then broke in.

If this was a home invasion style situation all bets are off, someone shows up, blasts your door down, shoves a gun in your face and beats, rapes and kills your entire family, unless you have a gun on you 24/7 you're {censored}ed.

Get a big loud dog and hope these people think your neighbor is a better target than you.

I live on a hill overlooking my property, my driveway is as long as a city block, my entire property is fenced (1 acre with electric fencing), I have two good sized dogs, double entrances to all of my outside doors and motion detector lights outside. If someone has the balls to come all the way up my driveway, and sees my snarling 100+lb dog standing there barking his ass off and still wants in, he'll likely be leaving covered in a blood soaked sheet.

This

Archived