Anyone else find Strats hard to play ?

Tomm Williams

• Members

I have to admit I'm a Les Paul guy, always have been. In an effort to keep the sound of my band from getting too repetitive, I picked up a 60th anniversary HSS Strat for certain songs. This is actually about the 4th? Strat I've had and have yet to get used to one.

With the LP, the heel of my hand sits on the edge of the bridge and that's very comfortable. With a Strat, I find my hand is suspended over the middle pick up area with no anchor. I tried the edge of the bridge but it just feels odd.

As as with most things, this will get fixed with repetition but does anyone else find this transition difficult ?

• Members

Actually I think I figured it out. I placed a very small rubber cabinet foot on the pickguard right in line with one of the screws. I sanded down the profile so it only stood about 1/32 above the low E string. Now I have a place to rest the heel of my hand in virtually the exact location I need it. No damage to the guitar and completely reversible.

• Members
I find the longer scale and smaller radius makes the guitar feel different than a Les Paul. I midigate the difference by using different strings - 10-52 on my Gibsons and 9-46 on my Fenders.

It really comes down to what you are used to.

Same for me.

• Members

Get a bridge cover (ashtray) for it. That will give you place to rest your hand. If your guitar is HSS it isn't a 60th Anniversary Strat. The 60th Anniv MIM Strat was a special edition Blizzard Pearl/Maple neck SSS. Yours is a 2004 MIM Standard Strat. All Fenders made in 2004 came with the anniversary button on the back of the headstock.

• Members
Get a bridge cover (ashtray) for it. That will give you place to rest your hand. If your guitar is HSS it isn't a 60th Anniversary Strat. The 60th Anniv MIM Strat was a special edition Blizzard Pearl/Maple neck SSS. Yours is a 2004 MIM Standard Strat. All Fenders made in 2004 came with the anniversary button on the back of the headstock.

Good to know info about the 60th anniversary button not meaning what it appears. I considered the cover but I prefer my hand just a little farther forward.

• Members

One thing that can help the instrument hang better when standing is to replace one of the screws on the neck plate with a longer one that will accommodate a strap button. This moves the guitar left and out a tad which can make it more comfortable for palm muting the strings at the bridge. you're also able to get to the upper frets more effectively too.

I did this out of necessity on a build and have since added it as an option having two strap buttons on several of my strat builds. Its a non destructive mod reversible too.

• Members

I find the Strat different to play but not really diffficult. .With my 335 clone and my Tele I often rest my hand on the bridge as an anchor. Or I may anchor my little finger on the pickgaurd.. With my acoustic I might use my little finger as an anchor or use my forearm against the top of the body but I don't use the bridge. With the Strat I may use my forearm or keep the trem arm in my hand as sort of a floating reference.. I have it bent to where I can play comfortably without putting pressure on it. I also favor having it just slightly loose to allow me to feel that there is no pressure. . It may be right or it may be wrong but after a little time to get used to it it works for me.

• Members
]Get a bridge cover (ashtray) for it.[/b] That will give you place to rest your hand. If your guitar is HSS it isn't a 60th Anniversary Strat. The 60th Anniv MIM Strat was a special edition Blizzard Pearl/Maple neck SSS. Yours is a 2004 MIM Standard Strat. All Fenders made in 2004 came with the anniversary button on the back of the headstock.

I remember when they tossed that in for free.

• Members

I played a strat for many years. I loved the sound, but I always found the stock configuration of controls and pickups annoying. Even after moving things out of the way - the mid pickup and volume control - it still wasn't quite right: it was the closeness of the bottom and top strings to the edge of the fretboard - even with an import bridge with narrower string spacing. That really hampered my ability to perform vibrato. I've recently switched to an Epi SG, which has a slightly wider fretboard, giving me a bit more room to wobble those notes without worrying about going off the fretboard. And - most likely because of the shorter scale length and bridge position on the body - my left and right hands can now find the strings better. Playing for me, overall, has become easier, with less fighting for the notes.

• Members

I find most Fender guitars hard to play because of the shorter neck radius. I tried and tried but am just more comfortable, quicker, and more accurate with a 14" radius.

However I love strats, so I got a Parker DF524 - Strat-like only better with a 14" Radius.

It works for me. YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived