Are you a humbucker guy or single coil guy?

GAS Man

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The more I age, the more I love single coils and feel bored by humbuckers.

There's just some much detail and three-dimensionality to single coils. Humbuckers sound flat to me now. Mind you, I've been using less and less gain, and playing things like rockabilly and twangy stuff more and more. In those genres, there's really no comparison.

And single coils go far beyond just strat and tele pickups. P90s of course, but also dynasonics, hilotrons-- these are fantastic pickups. Clean and loud with some slapback through a blackface Fender...I'm in heaven.

• Members

I chose single coils because Strats are my favorite guitars. I love the glassy, chimey, clear tones of single coils.

But I'm probably more of a HSS Strat guy, because I like the sound of bridge humbucker and I find that I need the extra thickness that it has.

• Members

Single coils for brightness, cut, and clarity. I have only owned entry level humbucker guitars though, once I was able to afford more expensive gear I went exclusively to single coils. Other artists with a different style from mine are better served by humbuckers though, so It just depends on what you're looking for in a guitar.

And I personally think 60 cycle hum adds character. ;)

• Members

It depends on the gig. Some musical styles are better served with singles, others with humbuckers. It also depends on what the other guitarist is playing; Single-coil pickups blend better with humbuckers than other humbuckers.

That said, the majority of my gigging guitars either have stacked single coils or humbuckers. No, I'm not a fan of 60-cycle hum. :)

• Members

Single coils.

Just about any type...Strat, Tele, P-90, Teisco foil, Dynasonics, horseshoe, domino, z coil, lipstick, etc. And I include my LPD's mini-HB's in this because they offer the same clarity, definition and clean tone that you get from a SC.

As much as the bands I love all seem to use humbuckers, I can't get use to their lack of definition and that funky midrange phase-y-ness when I'm playing.

• Members

"Too torn to choose"

My favorite playing guitar is a Gibson Les Paul, but that's by a very slim margin over my G&L ASAT Classic.

My collection collection includes:

Burstbucker Pros (Les Paul Doublecut)

Magnetic Field Designs (ASAT Classic)

Rio Grande Fat Bastard (Esquire)

High Gains (Rickenbacker 360)

• Members

no need to choose. use both. i tend to have more fun with singles for recording and humbuckers for live. i think a lot of people overlook the versatility and range of hot humbuckers with a series/parallel switch. lots of useful tones, all noiseless.

Archived