Are you a humbucker guy or single coil guy?

GAS Man

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too torn to choose guy here. Still cutting my teeth on the classics - mostly rock and blues and find that for some things (funky rhythms ala James Gang, SRV, jangly rhythms ala Eagles, Early Beatles or twangy rhythms ala certain REM, Stones) that singles sound best, but for other things (fat neck leads ala Allman Bros, Santana, and overdriven riff rock ala Cream, Zep, etc.) that humbuckers seem to be the order of the day. P90s fall somewhere in the middle and may be the most versatile of all I suppose.

I have a feeling that if I ever commit though, it will be to my maple necked Strats with three singles.

• Members

If I only had one choice it would be SC as I think they are more versatile for what I like to play. Odd thing is I used to hate strats & tele's and thought the world belonged to the Almighty Less-Paul. Funny how time changes your preferences. The strat carries the tonez now...

• Members

I love both but....if I could only have one then its an easy choice! Humbuckers all the way! If you rock..then its the only real choice! IMO.

In rock music, or at least the heavier end of the rock spectrum humbuckers rule the roost by a long way.

Great thing is though that we often dont have to choose (assuming we can afford more than one guitar) and can enjoy both.

• Members

I have a single coil strat and a humbucker strat and I love them both. Honestly when I first bought the humbucker strat I HATED it! It was just like "this is not a strat" but as the years have gone by I've come to appreciate it and it's my primary guitar. Ultimately I love them both equally.

• Members

I voted single coils without giving it serious thought ..

The reason i voted this way is i primarily play Strats..But i have two traditional S.S.S strats and also 2 H.S.S .

So than i took all my guitars and counted pick ups..I have more single coil pickups then Humbuckers ..

But if i count humbucker as two pickups close together instead of just one pickup ..Then i may like Humbuckers more..

So i'm now not sure and very confused..:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

Well of all the pickups I have installed on all my guitars, 8 are singles, and 4 are HBs. And. . on my dual HB Carvin I seem to mostly play the split postitions so I guess that answers your question. I like HBs but I definitely prefer the Paf-style low output kind over really hot HBs. Ive noticed this shift towards singles coils has happened as I got older. :idk:

Archived