Are you a humbucker guy or single coil guy?

GAS Man

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, I go back and forth. My all-time favorite solidbodies are Teles and Les Pauls.

They just both have their applications. I play a lot of surf/spy/spaghetti western instro stuff and for that I use my $35 Squier Strat and I don't know if a Strat can be beat for that kind of music.

But I also love caveman fuzz-out garage rock and psych and I really like the heavier, full-bodied HB crush at those times.

• Members

Been on both sides of this fence. The hum from singles almost killed them for me but once I learned how to quiet them down (shielding, braiding, short leads, no little wires stuck up like antennas, etc), I stick to single coils now pretty much.

• Members

I kind of fit in saying both.

I love each kind of pickup for different reasons and different situations.

Humbuckers are great when you wanna just get nice thick tones, but nothin beats a good single coil in certain musical applications.

I need to be versatile, especially in the studio, so lots of my guitars are equipped with both. And/or I just swap out guitars to fit the songs/style Im playing at the time. And I LOVE p90's most of all, they kind of fall somewhere in between, tonally.

• Members

Humbucker guy with an affinity for P90s which are the best of both worlds (and the worst too).

Me too. I've been playing a P90 equipped guitar lately. Don't know why I waited so long, I love them. Not a big fan of traditional single coils.

Archived