Are you a humbucker guy or single coil guy?

GAS Man

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The more I age, the more I love single coils and feel bored by humbuckers.

There's just some much detail and three-dimensionality to single coils. Humbuckers sound flat to me now. Mind you, I've been using less and less gain, and playing things like rockabilly and twangy stuff more and more. In those genres, there's really no comparison.

And single coils go far beyond just strat and tele pickups. P90s of course, but also dynasonics, hilotrons-- these are fantastic pickups. Clean and loud with some slapback through a blackface Fender...I'm in heaven.

Similar experience to mine, though I've never given up my punky roots. As I get older and longer in the tooth as a player, I simply find that buckers have less to offer - they can't do the SC thing at all well, while I've yet to play or even hear the Paul that makes me feel I'm missing out on anything by preferring a Tele. By this point I have zero interest in owning a Les Paul at all (only hold on the my Epi because I doubt I'd get what would really make it worth selling) - except a p90 equipped Junior style. The real conclusion to which I have come over time is that, sonically speaking (as opposed to ergonomic difference), there is actually far, far less difference between electric guitars than most players like to think. I guess that doesn't help justify yet another "addition to the sonic arsenal", though.... :lol:

• Members
But if i count humbucker as two pickups close together instead of just one pickup ..Then i may like Humbuckers more..

So i'm now not sure and very confused..
:facepalm:

But then they would be single coils:poke::eek:

:eek:I'm more of a humbucker guy for the most part, but lately have been craving singles. I've been using my hb's in my lp split lately so... I don't know. I like both alot cleans and fuzz sound better with singles, mid gain and distortion hums.

Archived