May I come back to the fold, please?

baldbloke

• Members

I was once a regular contributor here at the acoustic forum. It's been a while. Maybe 6 to 8 years since.

It was great fun learning and laughing with you. The off topic posts were great fun and provided light relief to our main topics. Anyone remember Bridge pin discussions and whether or not Taylor Swift could sing? They bring a smile to my face to this day.

Haven't posted in a long time. 

I have dropped in to view once in a while. The forum is so quiet now. Such a difference. 

I see the powers that be have clamped down on the off topic posts.

Is that a coincidence?

Anyway, 

I find myself wishing to learn, improve and chat about acoustic guitar after a long, long break.

Picked up my guitar the other night. Old strings, old tunes, old mistakes. But they sound so good. I'm going to try again.

Am I welcome back?

Stewart.

• Members

I'm tempted to be a smart alec and say "No" but I won't. ;) Of course you're welcome. This place is sufficiently dead we need all the folks we can get. There have been a number of bridge pin threads over the years and yes, I remember the Taylor Swift thread. I participated in it and my opinion hasn't changed. ;) Anyway, best of luck picking up the guitar again.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Phil O'Keefe said:

Welcome back Stewart! :wave: 

Hey, he has two of those 'what do you a guy who has no arms and legs' names in his name!

What do you call the guy with no arms and legs in your jacuzzi?

What do you call the guy with no arms and legs hanging on your wall?

Stew...and Art...:badump:

I know, and I am prepared to burn n hell for all eternity...it's been worth it!:eatdrink013:

13 hours ago, baldbloke said:

I see the powers that be have clamped down on the off topic posts.

Is that a coincidence?

It really depends on the individual forum. In the past I've always tried to honor the desires of each forum community for the forums that lacked an active moderator, and let the mods decide (in conjunction with the forum community's input) for the forums that do have active moderators. 

Some forums on HC welcome off-topic discussions, while others don't and have a fairly strict on-topic policy. For example, my Studio Trenches forum has always been fairly on-topic - if the subject isn't tied into recording and production in some way, it's not really something you're going to find in there. However, the Sound, Stage and Studio forum welcomes off-topic discussions, as long as they're not about politics or religion. We ask that people who want to start threads about those subjects limit them to the Political forum.  

I personally don't mind having off-topic discussions here or there, as long as the forum's cool with them, because that's what friends tend to do - they talk about all kinds of things. While music is the underlying theme of the site, and the thing that ultimately brings everyone together here, if you just had a new addition to the family, you're probably going to want to talk about it, and everyone's going to want to offer their congratulations... and I think that sort of thing ultimately brings the community and its members closer together. 

However, if you look at the top of this forum, it says "Home for flatpickers and fingerpickers to share their advice and knowledge. Strictly on-topic only" and unless the community decided en masse that they wanted to change that, I am going to try to maintain that. 

• Members

Hi  back.

Thank you all so much for replying. It means a lot. More than you know.

Plus - thank you so much for welcoming me back. 

Phil, thank you for responding to that question. I can not fault your logic. 

I hope I can contribute enough to interest others. Be it on or off topic. 

The forum here is so quiet though. Does anyone remember 10(ish) years ago? Can we loosen up a bit and get this party restarted?

Stewart.

• Members
19 minutes ago, baldbloke said:

Hi  back.

Thank you all so much for replying. It means a lot. More than you know.

Plus - thank you so much for welcoming me back. 

Phil, thank you for responding to that question. I can not fault your logic. 

I hope I can contribute enough to interest others. Be it on or off topic. 

The forum here is so quiet though. Does anyone remember 10(ish) years ago? Can we loosen up a bit and get this party restarted?

Stewart.

BB, I remember the name but vaguely so you'll have to sharpen my memory. Were you ever into building guitars? I seem to remember there was some connection with the technical aspects of the acoustic guitar and you. Or, maybe it was technically related to playing. Anyway, here we are - partying on.

• Members
20 hours ago, baldbloke said:

Stewart.

Yes, it is quiet, alas. And yes I do remember 10 years back when it was a vibrant forum with lots going on. Like you, lots of people drifted off and few have returned. 

But now you are back perhaps things will change? :idk:

• Members

Thank you all.

I'd love to respond individually but you know that would be OTT.

Mr Idunno,

I have no technical or practical abilities pertaining to guitar construction, theory or whatever. In fact, I can barely form an F chord. There, I said it. After 40 years, I admitted it.

On a different topic,

How many folks here have played a Stonebridge or Furch guitar? I have two. They sound so beautiful when I play instrumentals. (limited ability. )

• Moderators

Right...well now, I am going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess you are not a Yank, then?

To be perfectly honest [if that is truly humanly possible...] I have never heard of either a Stonebridge or a Furch guitar.

Please expound...do we get to see pictures? Hear recordings?

• Members
On 4/2/2020 at 12:00 PM, kwakatak said:

Welcome back! Sorry, the forum software change seems to have cleared your posting history so consider yourself reinstated with a blank slate!

Huh, I was wondering what happened to all my old posts.  I'll take it as a blessing.. I'm pretty sure I said some silly stuff.

• Members
16 hours ago, daddymack said:

Right...well now, I am going to go out on the proverbial limb and guess you are not a Yank, then?

To be perfectly honest [if that is truly humanly possible...] I have never heard of either a Stonebridge or a Furch guitar.

Please expound...do we get to see pictures? Hear recordings?

https://www.stonebridgeguitars.com/discover-furch/

• Members
21 hours ago, baldbloke said:

Thank you all.

I'd love to respond individually but you know that would be OTT.

Mr Idunno,

I have no technical or practical abilities pertaining to guitar construction, theory or whatever. In fact, I can barely form an F chord. There, I said it. After 40 years, I admitted it.

On a different topic,

How many folks here have played a Stonebridge or Furch guitar? I have two. They sound so beautiful when I play instrumentals. (limited ability. )

I've never played either but they've been brought up for discussion here many times, as all other makes/models have over the years. So, you play instrumentals. Maybe that's what clicks in my memory about you. That's pretty much all I do, and all I would do if not for the audience's preference for songs. But, we can duck for cover here away from those audiences and get away with our druthers.

• Members

Hi,

I live in Yorkshire, England.  I am Scottish but moved to live and work in Yorkshire 30 years ago. That's half a lifetime here. I really enjoy it. Yorkshire folks are very friendly.  I still have a bold Scottish accent but I tell my Yorkshire friends that it is them, not me, who talk funny. 

For me to say I play instrumentals is correct but please don't think I am any good at it. It takes me months to learn a new tune. And IIRC last time I did learn a new one was more than 6 years ago.

I dug out my guitars a few days ago. Dusted them off and had a  hour or two practicing. I say Practice. It was more messing around than practicing. 

Anyway. I'll try to put a little effort in to improve. Or at least get back to where I was last time.

Got a take up a hobby whilst in lockdown. I'll be indoors for the next 3 months. I am at very high risk if I get the virus. Cancer in several places. Including lungs..

Survivable. I should add. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, garthman said:

thanks...but when I finally found 'shop our US dealers...there is nothing...so  I guess we are not going to see any Furch guitars from the Czech Republic anytime soon in the States. They look very nice though!

to Baldbloke: Do stay safe, and practice, practice practice...😎

Archived