i found out those dunlop pick holder things change the tone of your guitar

mbengs1

• Members

No, you've got it backwards. The pick holder adds mass so you need to subtract mass from somewhere else. I normally suggest lighter tuning machines. The old style three-on-a-plate or six-on-a-plate (depending the guitar) kind work well in a situation like this since there's normally less metal and therefore less mass.

Or just bore some holes in the neck.

they're recycled. I don't really need them anyway. it just looked cool but I wouldn't have put them on in the first place if I knew they do change the tone of the guitar that drastically.

I'll believe it if and when you can repeatedly and correctly identify when a pick holder is present on a electric guitar body and when it is not in a double-blind listening test.

Until then, I'm calling blarney on your claim that you can hear any difference. Sorry.

FWIW, real rock stars use the other type of Dunlop pick holder...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\timages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0ZD8R_NhYQO5gtjS3AcnMZH5vbfCDc8uIw4q7PqEy61RvVTZT.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t9.6 KB ID:\t32173106","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32173106","data-size":"full","title":"images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0ZD8R_NhYQO5gtjS3AcnMZH5vbfCDc8uIw4q7PqEy61RvVTZT.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

...the only problem is, they make your mic sound different. ;)

• Members
I tried putting em on some of my guitars and I thought they look great. I just took them out and the sound is really different with them on. I prefer em off since I get more mids. :)

Good grief.

yes' date=' i'm just amazed how the pick holder can change my guitar's sound. [/quote']

It floors me too.

• Members

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Etienne Rambert","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/www.harmonycentral.com\/forum\/core\/image.php?userid=571&thumb=1&dateline=1393484844"}[/img2]

#21.1

Etienne Rambert commented

02-28-2018, 03:53 PM

Editing a comment

Time to get out the chain-saw maybe.

A chainsaw shouldn't be necessary. Take a little off the headstock or the lower horn and you're good. Hey, I just realized why a Gibson and an Epiphone sound different; it's the headstock! Here they are side by side:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Headstocks.jpg","data-attachmentid":32173366}[/ATTACH]

The Epiphone headstock has the corners cut off so it has less mass, right? ;)

• Members

True toan effeck I discovered. I posted about it a while back. While noodling unplugged (but fully clothed) on my Carvin, I discovered a strange wah in the tone. It happened when I moved my picking arm out of the line of hearing. I thought it was some kind of baffle thing where my forearm acted as such. Turns out It was a subtle resonance damping/undamping thing caused by my forearm pressing into the body.

True toan effeck I discovered. I posted about it a while back. While noodling unplugged (but fully clothed) on my Carvin' date=' I discovered a strange wah in the tone. It happened when I moved my picking arm out of the line of hearing. I thought it was some kind of baffle thing where my forearm acted as such. Turns out It was a subtle resonance damping/undamping thing caused by my forearm pressing into the body.[/quote']

Clothing can have a similar damping effect - which is why I always make everyone who visits my studio record nekked. ;)

Tone first, right? :lol:

Archived