Done!

billybilly

• Members

So, I finished her up and she's strung, just waiting for a "pop" in the night though hopefully not. I'll include the before and after pics. I have yet to put it through its paces but hopefully tomorrow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31818640[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31818641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31818642[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n31818643[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31818644[/ATTACH]

• Members

Well, there are two ways to do it and neither is any fun (I shouldn't say that, I've never done them so I don't know). Anyway the two basic ways to reinforce it is to route a little channel on each side of the truss rod slot and epoxy in a reinforcement (called a spline, I think) that spans the break - if I was going to do all that work I would probably use carbon fiber. The other is to thin down the back of the headstock blending it into the neck and graft on a back plate - kind of like your headstock plate but a whole lot more work to put it on. Some builders actually do that as part of their neck construction - they can add a little volute and make it look really cool. I have a thingie called a Safety Planer that I chuck in my drill press - it would make the thicknessing operation a little easier but, geeze, you'd have to balance the guitar while you were doing it.

In theory your wood glue is stronger than the parent wood, the only reason I would worry would be if you felt you didn't get good penetration up inside the break. My humble council would be to leave it as is and just be careful.

Archived