Cardboard Strat

Freeman Keller

• Members

This was so fun. Did they hit it with any sort of poly finish? One sweaty night playing and KaPOW! it would seem. Guess they did not want to add flame maple cardboard cap... Heck so humid here in Thailand at times I think all my guitars are made of cardboard.

• Members

If the right kind of glue is used when making the cardboard it can actually be as strong as plywood. If an epoxy is used it can even be stronger then wood and have no issues with moisture. Parker uses composites and fibers to build their instruments. It makes them ultra light and they so sound and play very well. They do use wood necks however.

• Members

Not surprising.

Tone is in the pickups. Period.

Steel strings moving through a magnetic field inducing an electrical current. AC theory 1.01.

You could make the guitar out of anything that can take the stress of the strings, make the scale the same, and put the same pickups in the same physical location and height, and it will sound the same.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Cool....but it didn't sound good in any of the clips.

For me the very definition of an "average" strat is one in which it sounds like you're just playing the pickups.

A great body provides the resonance that influences the strings to provide the beautiful harmonic overtones.

This reminds me of the concrete guitar that people always tout as an example of wood not mattering. That one sounds like sh.....too.

That was a cool video for the sake of design and execution of a vision. And the novelty of it is pretty amazing.

• Members

First couple of players sounded ok as did the linkin guy. You could really hear the cardboard coming through in the tone! Nobody would pick it out in a blind test. They will chirp up with their super ears, saying they could, but it wouldn't happen.

• Members
You guys know cardboard is made of wood right? wink.png

Yes, my sentiments exactly. I mean what's the difference between that and those high tech injection molded guitars like Flaxwood? http://www.flaxwood.com/home/ (Made out of wood fibers and thermoplastic composites.)

Obviously the finished product bears very little resemblance to any cardboard I've ever encountered. And if you're looking for a marketing angle in a world teetering between the deforestation of rain forests and global warming it could be a glimpse of the future of guitar building. We all know that several species are already on the protected list and if you don't know it, just ask Henry.

• Members

Koiwoi, I was very close to building a titanium bodied tricone resonator a few years ago. I could get 0.030 sheet titanium and cut it on the laser where I worked. A buddy is one of the best titanium welders in the world - he worked for Moots Cycles for a while building their ti bike frames, It would have been a rather spendy project and I ended up doing it out of wood, but the idea was there.

Archived