The Offical DIY Thread

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp

View Post

just use the next closest, that's what all the pros do

I build a clone of a well known boutique fuzz the other week, every resistor was some strange uncommon 'in between' value, I built one using the stated values and one using the closest common values that everyone has and they didn't sound any different at all to me. I'm convinced some builders just change the resistor values slightly so they can claim it's original by going 'look all the resistor values are different' ... or maybe that's what they call 'tweeked' wink.gif

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

I build a clone of a well known boutique fuzz the other week, every resistor was some strange uncommon 'in between' value, I built one using the stated values and one using the closest common values that everyone has and they didn't sound any different at all to me. I'm convinced some builders just change the resistor values slightly so they can claim it's original by going 'look all the resistor values are different' ... or maybe that's what they call 'tweeked' wink.gif

Honestly, every time I see a 1M5 or an 18K I just think "wtf were you thinking"

• Members

hey dudes

I have a Suhr Riot in front of me all apart. And I gotta say, this is one incredibly well designed pedal. The switch they use is so smooth, the enclosure is absolutley perfect and even with all the extra features and whatnot the pedal is so neat and tidy. Definatley something to strive for in my DIY stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit

View Post

hey dudes

I have a Suhr Riot in front of me all apart. And I gotta say, this is one incredibly well designed pedal. The switch they use is so smooth, the enclosure is absolutley perfect and even with all the extra features and whatnot the pedal is so neat and tidy. Definatley something to strive for in my DIY stuff.

Did you snap and pictures?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Shove and Stuff

View Post

Nice muff up there on the top Melx thumb.gif Looks like a GGG board?

yup, exactly what it is... GGG board, my own spec parts... values wise it's basically a violet ram's head with a few of the 'mayo' values... thumb.gif

I'll be boxing that up this week. smile.gif

• Members

Digital 'Binson' layout with variable delay time and reverb. Oi. Not a lot of copper on this one... still need to finish the code though.

Controls: Level, Mix, Tone, Feedback, Reverb, Repeat head selector, Regeneration head selector, toggle between standard delay time and variable delay time, then when in variable time there is a control for delay time. Uuuh what else... my mind is fried right now icon_lol.gif

Bottom:

D5Page0.png

Top with ground pour (GREATEST THING EVER) and some power routing:

D4Page0.png

Components (U3 and U5 are actually under the board which is why the pins are backwards):

D6Page0.png

EDIT: updated board pics..

Independant left and right inputs. I believe it will be possible to run one of the outs to the second in for some.. sounds. Has an EP-2 (echoplex) preamp idea.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pain-MD

View Post

You're coding it? What microcontroller/etc?

Using the FV-1 finally. It's a really basic DSP platform... has some really cool potential though, including pitch shifting, mod (flange, phase, chorus, etc), delay, lots of reverb, trem.. built in LFO's, independent left and right channels. You can't change the internal programs, which are 8 programs with different kinds of effects, but you can program EEPROM and have it read from that instead.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Shove and Stuff

View Post

Digital 'Binson' layout with variable delay time and reverb. Oi. Not a lot of copper on this one... still need to finish the code though.

Controls: Level, Mix, Tone, Feedback, Reverb, Repeat head selector, Regeneration head selector, toggle between standard delay time and variable delay time, then when in variable time there is a control for delay time. Uuuh what else... my mind is fried right now icon_lol.gif

Bottom:

D5Page0.png

Top with ground pour (GREATEST THING EVER) and some power routing:

D4Page0.png

Components (U3 and U5 are actually under the board which is why the pins are backwards):

D6Page0.png

EDIT: updated board pics..

Independant left and right inputs. I believe it will be possible to run one of the outs to the second in for some.. sounds. Has an EP-2 (echoplex) preamp idea.gif

wow. keep us freakin posted on this one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit

View Post

hey dudes

i agree on this, i picked up a suhr shiba last night and couldnt resist taking a peek under the hood. most of its is covered in black goop, and there looks like 2 boards (double sided pcbs?) and smds...but the build quality and components (escially the switch) and the features really raises the bar too high.

back to the drawing board.

Archived