The Offical DIY Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

just for balance, here's my totally mojo-free transparent overdrive. smile.gif

I don't know, that 100pf high voltage ceramic is a bit mojo-y to me.

Oh and aren't those Philips branded 1N4148s? icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IvIark

View Post

Needz moar moejoe. Get some 40 year old carbon comps in there, maybe some cloth covered wire and could you give the vero a more "distressed" or road worn look?

smile.gif

relic'd stripboard. idea.gif

• Members

View Post

I don't know, that 100pf high voltage ceramic is a bit mojo-y to me.

Oh and aren't those Philips branded 1N4148s? icon_lol.gif

.....I could of used silver mica instead!! ...that ceramic was the cheap option!! mad.gif

lol, I just noticed I have a 1n914 in there (second from top) it must have got mixed up... ........ melx modded. icon_lol.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Shove and Stuff

View Post

Do you like those IC sockets?

idn_smilie.gif I've never used anything else... when I built my rat I didn't even bother socketing it, but I wanted to try a bunch off different IC's in this one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

idn_smilie.gif I've never used anything else... when I built my rat I didn't even bother socketing it, but I wanted to try a bunch off different IC's in this one.

I was just asking because I used those pin types on one of my earlier projects when I was starting out and I couldn't get it to hold in an IC for anything. I used to ..leaf ones (is that what they are called?) and they hold them in great. So I thought I'd ask and see if you used them for any reason idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ShortScaleMike

View Post

I'm almost guerilla about my complete refusal to build with any TGP approved components.

For DIY jobs where mojo isn't being used as a selling feature, I can't see too much wrong with spending 80p on caps instead of 30p, even if it's only that you prefer axial form, or the aesthetics. You'd pay a lot more for decals or fancy painted boxes for the same reason.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Shove and Stuff

View Post

I was just asking because I used those pin types on one of my earlier projects when I was starting out and I couldn't get it to hold in an IC for anything. I used to ..leaf ones (is that what they are called?) and they hold them in great. So I thought I'd ask and see if you used them for any reason idn_smilie.gif

ah, I see.... well I'll soon find out I suppose. I look into the others if I have any problems... cheers.

• Members

View Post

For DIY jobs where mojo isn't being used as a selling feature, I can't see too much wrong with spending 80p on caps instead of 30p, even if it's only that you prefer axial form, or the aesthetics. You'd pay a lot more for decals or fancy painted boxes for the same reason.

Did you just say "aesthetics" in relation to a Capacitor?

If it's easy to work with (that means radial where I'm from, and not stupid in size), and sounds good, I'm going to use it. I have no time for fannying about with the other nonsense.

But Simon knows I was just joking with him, I thought that would have been obvious enough. It's obviously not a sales piece - those minging jacks suggest that much.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mr benn

View Post

I wasn't going to say anything,but melx did supply me with mojo-y caps and NOS resistors cop.gif

so he's not only a user,but a dealer too...

blah.gifblah.gif

icon_lol.gif

you weren't complaining when you begged me to let you have one of those mojo-tastic pcb's for your fuzz face. poke.gificon_lol.gif

...and after all the compliments you've got in this thread for it. cop.gif

wink.gif

Archived