The Offical DIY Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by neoflox

View Post

Today I finally succeeded in making a flawless finish myself. All the boxes I did before had a a drip or dust somewhere but this one is smooth as baby skin and shiny as Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gificon_lol.gif

Since I finally started breadboarding my first real "own" pedal, it will get this housing cool.gif

dsc9595.jpg

32511149631329155913458.jpg

is that gold? im building mine with that color too.

Image0121jug2.jpg

crap. mine looks yellowish in that pic. tis a lot darker in person.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by musikerochan

View Post

is that gold? im building mine with that color too.

Not real gold, looks quite exactly as in the picture. It is supposed to be a copper effect. I just wish it would be as hi-reflecting as the package promises rolleyes.gif

crap. mine looks yellowish in that pic. tis a lot darker in person.

http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/i...728d3768084621

http://www.musikding.de/index.php/ca...-material.html

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/hardware.html#stripboard

thumb.gif

• Members

>:/

my last order was on the 7th but i doubt i checked, i "knew" they didn't stock it from before.

:/

In the picture it's shown as having a big border- does it fit well in standard enclosures or do you have to 'cut it out'?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit

View Post

hey dudes.

beavis board Y/N?

depends.... if I could have afforded it when I started out it would have been a nice thing to have... still would be actually, but you can get into diy without it quite easily. If you can afford it then yes, if you can't really afford it then don't go broke to buy one. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Shove and Stuff

View Post

Looks great!

You don't have any caps you could put in parallel or series to get close to that?

nah I'm fussy...I wanna make it look nice! icon_lol.gif

I'll pick one up in maplin but it'll cost about 6 times the net price! cry.gif

Oh and thanks! thumb.gif

• Members

Why do you guys all use mojo caps? Aesthetic reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Shove and Stuff

View Post

Large circuit, small circuit, I don't bother breadboarding. If it's a large circuit, chances are I didn't design it, or it's based on something so common like a PT2399 or a chorus schematic. That takes up way to much time to breadboard it out just to see if it works and chances are you will mess something up when you breadboard it anyway. So I just go right to designing a PCB or using perf.

Smaller circuits, like fuzz, I could breadboard, but the time it takes to put it all together and buying the breadboard, jumpers and whatnot is to cumbersome when I could just throw it on perf and play it. Then if i want to change something, just desolder the piece and replace it, or socket it.

That's what I feel about breadboarding. Unless you have one component, have no idea where it goes from there and just continuously add and subtract components, I don't like it. And chances are, there is a schematic like it out there already.

I don't build anything until I know I like the sound- and I like to, once I've built it, see what the effect of component changes is to better understand what's going on and for future reference if I ever feel brave enough to design my own circuits from scratch.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hides-His-Eyes

View Post

Why do you guys all use mojo caps? Aesthetic reasons?

I don't build anything until I know I like the sound- and I like to, once I've built it, see what the effect of component changes is to better understand what's going on and for future reference if I ever feel brave enough to design my own circuits from scratch.

I don't think we will ever see eye to eye icon_lol.gif If I'm buying the parts to put on breadboard, I'd rather just put them on perf and be done with it idn_smilie.gif I like to change and play around with the circuit too, but I'd rather do research, look at datasheets, previous circuits and and ask questions. I'd imagine most people like breadboards icon_lol.gifidn_smilie.gif

Archived