The Offical DIY Thread

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ShortScaleMike

View Post

Did you just say "aesthetics" in relation to a Capacitor?

If it's easy to work with (that means radial where I'm from, and not stupid in size), and sounds good, I'm going to use it. I have no time for fannying about with the other nonsense.

But Simon knows I was just joking with him, I thought that would have been obvious enough. It's obviously not a sales piece - those minging jacks suggest that much.

ROFL!! icon_lol.gif

..hey leave my 30p jacks out of this!!! cop.gif

... I like to call them 'vintage style' smile.gif

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp

View Post

yah, those might only last 100 years, instead of 300 like the neutrik

of course, if you really want quality: switchcraft

For when you really need your jacks to outlive the user

although if it was for sale on tgp i expect even melx's 30p jacks would long outlive most of the potential users

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IvIark

View Post

For DIY jobs where mojo isn't being used as a selling feature, I can't see too much wrong with spending 80p on caps instead of 30p, even if it's only that you prefer axial form, or the aesthetics. You'd pay a lot more for decals or fancy painted boxes for the same reason.

the hell do you get your caps?!

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/serv...ors/Categories

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

blah.gifblah.gif

icon_lol.gif

you weren't complaining when you begged me to let you have one of those mojo-tastic pcb's for your fuzz face. poke.gificon_lol.gif

...and after all the compliments you've got in this thread for it. cop.gif

wink.gif

guilty as charged redface.gif

• Members

View Post

In all honesty, I've had those taiwanese cheapo jacks fail on me. When you tighten them up the actually thing can spin apart and ground itself out - particularly the stereo ones.

They really are flimsy {censored}e.

they are, I striped the nut on one just tightening it up. icon_lol.gif

... I won't be buying them again in all seriousness, I figured I may as well use what I had though, I bought 10 of each, so I don't really want to just chuck them away.

• Members

View Post

Did you just say "aesthetics" in relation to a Capacitor?

Aesthetics in relation to the built up circuit, of course. In much the same way people like to open the bonnet of a car a look at the engine. Or a panel builder wants neat wiring looms. It seems reasonable to be aesthetically pleased by something you've built, even if that something's prime purpose is functional.

View Post

If it's easy to work with (that means radial where I'm from, and not stupid in size), and sounds good, I'm going to use it. I have no time for fannying about with the other nonsense.

No one's suggesting you should use them, you use what sounds good and is easy for you to use - I don't see what your choices have got to do with anyone else. But no one has questioned your choice of components. Personally radial isn't what I'd consider easy to use, I like the separation of axial components and if I'm building something in a fairly shallow box like a 1590B, then I like the fact that I don't even have to consider the depth or think about where I'm going to bend standing components.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hides-His-Eyes

View Post

Bear in mind with Tayda that they have a minimum order of $5 so you'd need to order 250 of those caps, and then they have an estimated postage of $8.40 and I assume that's for within the US.

But I was using the difference as an example, I hadn't calculated. In reality I pay almost the same for radial and axial caps, I was just basing the 80p figure on what you may pay buying in smaller quantities.

Looking into it a bit deeper (and assuming I'm ok not just buying the cheapest capacitor I can find because I really wouldn't want those greenies) the Panasonic radial caps I use cost me about

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by IvIark

View Post

We're talking pennies here, I really don't understand why people worry about it.

I just use whatever I feel like using for each build, In my Big Muff I used wima box caps, metal film resistors, neutrik jacks... in my Rat I used cheap box caps and cheap carbon film resistors, in my Fuzz Face I used vintage nos caps and carbon comp resistors.... and the rangemaster I used what I felt like using in that, including cheap jacks! I just think it's fun trying out different components and at the end of the day that's why I'm building these... for fun. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

I just use whatever I feel like using for each build, In my Big Muff I used wima box caps, metal film resistors, neutrik jacks... in my Rat I used cheap box caps and cheap carbon film resistors, in my Fuzz Face I used vintage nos caps and carbon comp resistors.... and the rangemaster I used what I felt like using in that, including cheap jacks! I just think it's fun trying out different components and at the end of the day that's why I'm building these... for fun. smile.gif

Absolutely, the best way to be. I'd always use radial Panasonic or box in PCB builds but if I've got room in my own builds then I'll use axial because I prefer them, if not I'll use whatever else I've got. And like you it's all about fun and doing something I enjoy. Seems reasonable enough to me. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hides-His-Eyes

View Post

ITchyfingers, that's really neat for a first try, well done!

For your next one, look up 3PDT switching with effect input grounding. smile.gif

{censored}! I just wired up a switch last night (same way as that boost). I will look into it though - thanks man.

Archived