• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by mr benn

View Post

no it's the piece of {censored} 90's "hendrix" fuzz face repainted

you might find one cheap enough as stock it sounds horrible cool.gif

Replacing a couple of the caps in those Jimi Hendrix fuzzes can improve them a lot. I forget the specific values, but basically the input cap and the bias bypass caps are too large in value, which causes that over-bassy "farty" distortion.

Here's my fugly contribution to the thread. Yes, it looks horrible, but it was built in 1990, before DIY forums and forbidden pedal-building websites. It was hastily re-housed so it would fit on my pedalboard. Etched the PC board myself with a kit from RadioShack. It's bascially a Si Fuzz Face with a big muff-type passive tone control. Since it's passive, what's connected to it can have a big effect on the tone; it seems to sound best by itself between the guitar and amp... It uses the volume knob for the on/off switch instead of a TRS input jack.

DSCF3471.jpg

DSCF3473.jpg

DSCF3472.jpg

Phil asked about DIY guitars, here's my work in progress

DSCF3288.jpgDSCF3289.jpg

It's not finished (as in painted) yet. I assembled it to make sure it would play well enough to bother finishing it, and it is. Very comfortable to play either standing up or sitting down. I'm disappointed it doesn't sustain better, but it's got a nice thick chunky rhythm sound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hides-His-Eyes

View Post

Anyone in the UK got a good source for vactrols? VTL5C9 etc?

Thought it might be a ROHS thing but you can still get CdS LDRs...

Farnell has Vactrols at quite reasonable prices, well still expensive, but cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else. They also sell Silonex which are also resistive optos, but cheaper and may be interchangeable in some circuits. I think I paid about

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by melx

View Post

looking good mate, I drilled my big muff case this afternoon.

... I might wire up tonight if I get a bit of peace.... icon_lol.gif

SL273133.jpg

cheers thumb.gif

I tried drilling the case I got from Banzai for my RAT today and the paint cracked pretty badly cry.gif

I think i'm going back to the drawing board on how I drill cases,or just buy bare metal ones and paint them myself

• Members

View Post

cheers thumb.gif

I tried drilling the case I got from Banzai for my RAT today and the paint cracked pretty badly cry.gif

I think i'm going back to the drawing board on how I drill cases,or just buy bare metal ones and paint them myself

maybe try putting tape over the area you're going to drill, this can sometimes help with the paint cracking

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp

View Post

maybe try putting tape over the area you're going to drill, this can sometimes help with the paint cracking

yeah I did it with some masking tape like I usually do,but I think the problem might be the bit I'm using?

20386_th.gif

confused.gif

• Members

View Post

mmmm, I don't have any problems with that, Pickup up one of those drills from argos .....

• Members

View Post

cheers for the offer boss,but I need to learn how to do it anyway,so I may as well start now thumb.gif

I think I'm going to strip back the orange and PlastiKote it again

lol, yeah that's what I figured.. I felt exactly the same. I'm kind of glad I went for regular bits now to be honest.. I'm not convinced those multi bits are that great, and the good ones aren't cheap are they?

Ha, I bought an Orange one too, I'm gonna put an overdrive in it.... like an orange amp kinda stylee....

• Members

Still working on everything in my OP...

Did an expression pedal overhaul with new stronger internal wiring, and a jack for custom length stereo cable. Came out perfect, did two to sell and 1 to keep.

IMGP2079.jpg

Also working on a dano TOD rehousing on top of the 10000000 other projects I've got going on. Rehousing in a gold PPP 1590, top mounting everything, new dc jack.

IMGP2090.jpg

Also did a telecaster wiring harness that I already sold using Alpha pots, Mallory Cap, Evidence Audio Monorail Cable, Switchcraft Jack, Treble Bleed Mod.

IMGP2085.jpg

More to come thumb.gif

• Members

Also, update on the PT JR. I took off the velcro on it so I could refinish it but it had a ruthless adhesive on it. I couldn't get the stuff off no matter how hard I tried so it's going to be sandblasted in the next week or 2 then I can go from there. Holes are already drilled for the locking jacks and I got new feet for it. A few weeks back when this all happened I decided that I wished I had just left well enough alone but I'm at the point of no return so I'm gonna keep going with it.

Archived