Who Inspired and Influenced You?

hunterz263

• Members

Being one of the most versatile instruments on the planet, the guitar has had many heroes that changed the way we play it. Who inspired you to play the guitar and who are you influenced by?

I myself was inspired by two Youtube musicians:

AcousticBrony: https://www.youtube.com/user/AcousticBrony

ISMBOFepicly: https://www.youtube.com/user/ISMBOFepicly

Those two made me pick up my mother's old acoustic guitar and play it. Now after two and a half years, I am starting to sound like ISMBOF and a few other heroes of mine. Here is a list of my influences -- in my personal observation -- and what they influenced me in:

-ISMBOFepicly (mostly everything I do has been influenced by him)

-Canapplejack (for ambient stuff)

-Satchel from Steel Panther (80's feel)

I swear I had more, but I can't remember them.

Anyway, leave your inspirations and influences below!

• Members

I started playing when I was 12 because I was obsessed with music. R.E.M. has been my favorite band since I was eleven, and their music was a huge contrast to the Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Beatles, and other classic bands my mom played when I was growing up. I wanted to play like Peter Buck, but I was also really into Lenny Kaye and Lou Reed. I bought Patti Smith's Horses and The Velvet Underground and Nico, which were probably too mature for me at that age, but they really made me want to play guitar.

I think the guitarist who inspires me the most is Robert Fripp. I probably sound like a poor man's Robert Fripp most of the time. Adrian Belew is up there too. Masami Tsuchiya, Richard Thompson, and lately Theresa Wayman. She's probably the only female guitarist I've really gotten into, and she's incredible.

• Members

I'm from the philippines there was a time when the great guitarists here at the time were my influences particularly bands called Wolfgang, razorback, and P.o.t. but before and after that to this day, it was van halen and joe satriani, eric johnson and steve vai. rock on!..

• Members

Just about anything I heard as a child. Dad was a Classical fan, mom liked cheesy pop.

In order more or less:

Rossini William Tell Overture. It was the Lone Ranger theme and when dad showed me the copy he had, I 'bout wore out the record and the player.

Ricky Nelson. Travelin' Man. Ever guy in Kindergarten would make a stage line and sing da bitch.

Then Beatles, Ventures. Herb Alpert, Various radio rock, Zep, Tull, The hard rock of the day, Santana bla bla ...

Bruebeck, Buddy Rich, Maynard, Ellis, all the showboat jazzers...yada yada

• Members

I came in via early Genesis, Tull and King Crimson. which was not guitar specific Then when I started songwriting it was Lennon McCartney and Joni Mitchell who focused me on guitar. Later it was people like Eric Johnson and, Dixie Dregs more radically, John Zorn.

• Members

The first guitar playing to really grab me was by the studio musicians playing old recordings like this.

I still love that style

Those great guitar licks in the background are probably by Grady Martin, playing his double-neck Bigsby

grady-martin-and-twin-neck-bigsby-guitar_2_sm_f40.jpg

On this Red Foley video you can get a good look at Grady's guitar

• Members

I'll try this chronilogically,

Marty Robbins, Carl Perkins, Chet Atkins, George Harrison, Roger McGuinn, Keith Richards, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, John Fogerty, Peter Green, Duane Allman, JJ Cale, Eric Johnson....And a million more since then. several that populate this place as well! :cool03:

• Members

I didn't know any big name guitar players back in the AM days when my mom won a Teisco Strat copy in a music store contest. It wasn't long before FM became the place to be with full side album cuts and "non-commercial". It was all pure magic to me, and I wanted to learn Rock n, Roll but every instructor at the time wanted to teach me folk and classical. Like to say that when Jimmy burst on the scene that he was my first influence but I was more into the Moody Blues and the Grateful Dead at the time. It all came to a stop when my guitar and amp got sold out from under me (parents) while away at college.

Flash forward thirty years, and a buddy and I attending Blues Shows decided to buy electrics. Took a handful of lessons to get me on my way then started jamming with some retired weekend warriors and woodshedding on the internet and with self help books and videos. Still I have so many favorites from so many styles it's not fair to discriminate. So today my main influences are guys like Fred Sokolow, Greg Koch, Tom Kolb, and Keith Wyatt that have enriched my life and taught me more than any rock stars.

• Members

"I wanted to learn Rock n, Roll but every instructor at the time wanted to teach me folk and classical."

Exactly

Tell me about it. Even today I play fingerstyle because of the deficit in Rock teachers during my 'formative' years.

Too late now, using a pick feels like playing through gloves and a lolly stick. But there's always Beck to make me feel better about it :)

• Members

Inspired is easy, Bill Nelson. What he did in the 70's and throughout his career, made me want to play better. Influenced is harder. MUCH harder..... Larry fast, also known as Synergy, a keyboardist, brought me into guitar synthesis. Page, Hendrix, Clapton, all played their part, but in many cases is was who NOT to sound like. (Always hated Hendrix's tone.) Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips, the guitarist from Nektar, Mike Oldfield, Robert Fripp, and a gazillion others, made my sound and tone, what it is today.

• Members

Wow, and you across the pond at the time of the British Invasion which blew our Yankee minds back then. Funny stuff. I guess it was one of those watershed moments and those that could were out leading the charge.

I do wish I could do a better chicken pickin claw pick kinda thing. I'm basically either pita fingerstyle or flat pick - tried wearing a thumb pick for awhile but that didn't last long.

• Members

When I started playing guitar in the late 60's, my biggest influences were Hendrix and Santana. Later - David Gilmour.

Also, someone you don't see mentioned much was Dave Mason. In particular, one song: "Look At Me, Look At You" from his first album was a big influence on me for his great lead guitar licks and phrasing. Not as flashy as the major guitarists of the time, but incredibly tasteful and melodic. If you haven't heard that song, check it out. He also did a great version of All Along The Watchtower (and he actually played 12 string on Hendrix's recording of it at Electric Ladyland.)

• Members

I have a pretty huge range of influences and even more artists that inspire me. My Dad was pretty influential early on, turning me on to a bunch of 50's - 70's rock and country artists. After that, I really got into metal - early British stuff, thrash, etc. and punk. Then grunge and alt-rock came along just as I was in the middle of high school. As those were kind of my formative years as a guitarist, I think a lot of that stuff really influenced and stuck in my style. This was also, IMO the golden age of hip hop, and I was listening to a fair amount of it. It wasn't really influential to me as a guitarist, but perhaps as a drummer and overall musician. After HS, I really opened up and started listening to a bunch of different things - jam bands, world music, Motown, whatever I could get my hands on. My record collection grew by leaps and bounds. I was largely disinterested in the bro-rock and gansta rap that was prevalent in the late 90's/early 00's. Around the middle 00's, I started to get into indie rock and the folk rock revival. Today, I really get into as much new music as I can. I guess all of it influences me in some way. Some bands/artists that have been hugely influential on me -

Willie Nelson

Johnny Cash

Hendrix

Santana

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Pink Floyd

The Who

The Kinks

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

The Clash

Fugazi