Who Inspired and Influenced You?

hunterz263

• Members

Right after I was in high school, 30+ years ago, I somehow managed to get down to LA, where I got to go see some band that had buzz, that were playing in this old spooky church, keggar style party ensued and they were on...

I was high as a kite for most all of the night, this made me extremely sensitive to the sound...

Totally synchronous, with total command of harmony, melody & verse:

mastery of sound effects, kinetic speed, precision timing

and utterly original style, Like the Doors, Stones Roses, Oasis and The Smith's in a blender...

and the joy of their own excellence was palpable: you could feel the vibe of the hundred and fifty or so kids in this place as being off the hook, completely detached and removed from everything exterior: ebbing and flowing to the wave of sound that was everywhere, and completely surreal in it's majesty and depth, the insides of some churches {and this one in particular} are some of the best acoustical chambers ever designed...and this was all beyond luck and was divine will at work by some means unseen...

they played for like 3 hours, and I was completely blown away, by the sheer talent and perfection of their performance. They had a total gift for cohesion, creativity, virtuosity, lyrical whimsy and performance, and the

ENSUING WALL OF SOUND THESE GUYS GENERATED WAS FLAWLESS, FOR HOURS...

I never remembered the name of the band, had no idea where I was or how to ever find it again, but it left an impression that sticks to my soul to this day...I'll never forget the vibe, energy, & sheer creative expression and utter mastery of electronic frequency these guys knew and reproduced.

Many recordings I've heard since never matched the sheer brilliance and excitement, euphoria and powerful stage presence these guys commanded...hope they did well, I never heard of them again...

• Members

Wow talk about flow of consciousness. Just reading about it was mesmerizing. Although, regarding that level of musical involvement, I'm a bit skeptical that it can exist on a large level today given the computer/cell phone revolution. Just too many distractions today and unfortunately most people aren't even present even when they're right in front of you.

Guest Guest

Jimi Hendrix, The Eagles, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains

• Members

I think I catch your drift (surprised to catch you on now though) although I'm not sure I agree with you there. The reason I drop in from time to time is because I think the authenticity level is pretty high around here - just like your post above (totally heartfelt). Not a lot of poseurs or corksniffers like some other boards I've visited. I mean, as far as the rock n roll dream is concerned, count me out, got into it way too late. I play most every day, sometimes just picking out melodies I've got stuck in my head, other days learning new songs, all for myself. Playing music is my therapy - get-a-way from day to day headaches.

• Members

Music is more than my therapy, it's a vital connection to whats left of any reality: the surreality of our times and the incomprehensible deceit and dysfunction of our trusted servants are enough to make feel like checking or checking someone else out on a regular basis, which leads me to question the purpose of god himself,

for me it's only about depression, isolation and reflection until the next job, payday, and or performance.

Pity the fool who follows one.

• Members

Hey Rad, I feel ya brother. Ultimately the only thing that matters is maintaining your own integrity; at least that's what I keep telling myself. As an abuse survivor I can tell you that it's a vicious cycle and the Dark Prince will do anything to score another soul. You want isolation, I can't even bring myself to call my 87 year old parents (save for birthdays and select holidays) for what they've inflicted on me over the years. (Parents should never conspire with one's siblings to set him up for failure, but my father is a mean and spiteful bully that everyone cowtows to but me.) Anyway I digress, there is always hope even in death. I get cynical as hell but there is meaning in purpose and hope springs eternal. God Bless Amigo.

• Members
That is also why 75% of the dudes on this board shouldn't even bother being here, it's like it's all a

sick schmoozefest contest, with litlle merit, and questionable intent.

I wouldn't condemn a bunch of musicians (real or imagined) over a "high as a kite" imprint. Good chamber groups, orchestras, asstd unplugged groups can all hook up into musical cohesion and usually along more axes - often a magnitude more than any amplified big venue band.

• Members

I was putting forth an estimate of the amount of trolls on here, looking for nothing but distraction and diversion who have relatively little interest or skill in music, posers and coders who happen to enjoy discrediting, embarrassing and annoying those who have genuine skill ,knowledge, and wisdom to impart.

• Members

Why be on an internet forum? The info isn't always reliable, you certainly have to make assumptions about the persona; ... It must be the performance. People come to celebrate _ (long clueless pause) _ themselves. Still I do think the percentage of legit participants here is higher than you'd find at a trade show or musical event / art festival.

• Members

Dave Gilmour

I love Gilmour's tones & solos (I've partially modelled a pedalboard off his gear). Used to own a strat but now mainly play a telecaster. Also love some of Jimmy Page's early stuff from Led Zep.

Right Now - probably John Mayer.. I love blues and classic rock

Archived