whats with all the HSS strats all of a sudden?

dick wiggins

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I might counter with the question "What's with the obsession on the needs of lead guitarists? "

As a primarily rhythm player The HSS Strat is my preferred choice now after trying just about everything over 50 years.

There are other guys with other needs in the band and maybe that is being belatedly recognized by the marketing guys.

Look down the charts and see how little screaming lead guitar there actually is and you can see where the fat strat would fit.

ps Bridge and mid do 'quack', a lot of guys who haven't tried HSS think they won't, Just sayin' :)

• Members

I like the no pickguard superstrat Floyd HSS combination but an actual Fender Strat for me has to be SSS. You can put a blade or a stacked bucker in the bridge position but a full sized bucker just doesn't look right to me on that Strat pickguard.

• Members

I've had a bit of a journey with my strats. I've been a strat man first and foremost for around years, tried every configuration known to man. Funny enough, I'm returning to stock SSS. If I had only one guitar I may have have kept one of the configurations but there's something special about your classic SSS strat.

• Members
An HSS with a coil tap is just about the perfect guitar.

I thought that, too, until I managed to test drive a well designed HSH + 5-way pickup selector + humbucker coil split switches. An HSH like this can do all sorts of nice coil split combinations with the humbuckers (split or not split) and the middle single coil, along with standard neck, middle, and bridge pickup selections.

• Members

I love my HSS Strats..but it IS an education on what kind of HB to use..and how to work your Volumes. Primal folks need not apply...it takes finesse...but for me...it is worth it. And that said, a SSS Strat has a bridge sound that is one of a kind and COOL. I just loose that for my specific needs (Im more of a writer. Than a hot shot guitarist)

Archived