whats with all the HSS strats all of a sudden?

dick wiggins

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
The bridge on an HSS ain't really twangy enough for my optimal Strat set-up. I have one (of four) with that configuration but I cringe when it comes time to play a lead on it.

The Rio Grande Tallboy humbucker is two Strat pickups welded together and is split-able (4 wire) for single coil Strat tone.

pg4_tallboy.jpg

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/ProductPage.asp?ImageLink=TBHB&ProductName=For+Humbuckings

• Members

A Strat is the ultimate modifiable guitar. It's so modular! Putting a HB in the bridge makes it so versatile. I know the Strat purists will not really understand this, but I do. That being said, my old Strat has three Noisless Kinman pickups. Apparently, I am not much of a purist either!

• Members

I'm with whoever else said that they like an HSS setup, but just not on a Strat. I have a ton of the HSS stuff from Ibanez, Charvel, Kramer and BC Rich, but I still like my Strats SSS. Even with the split HB, I don't know if it's due to the angle of the pickup being different, but to my ears it just doesn't do that Strat thang in the bridge position with the split coil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm not a purist by intent, and I've had a number of 25 1/2 scale guitars with HSH and HSS, but on a strat straight singles always feel and sound best to me. Mini-hums often get nasal and noiseless lack life, while a full bridge bucker doesn't balance well unless the singles are over-hot.

SSS all the way for me

• Members

Yep, the only way to make it more perfect is to go HSH.

:evil:

I do jest. Hss is pretty great.

I have a set of Dimarzio Blue Velvet neck and bridge placed in the neck and middle positions with a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge (alder body strat with maple neck). Oh my, my, this things deeeeestroys

• 2 years later...

Archived