whats with all the HSS strats all of a sudden?

dick wiggins

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
S-S-S, H-S-H, H-H... it's all been done. What we need is something fresh and new, like S-H-S hollowbody strats!

Heh, funny you should mention. When I joined HC years ago, there was an odd Canadian gentlemen who posted often in the DIY forum. He made a hollowbody strat-type guitar, but made all kinds of ridiculous claims harmonics and resonance and so forth, as if his strat was the Stradivarius of electric guitars. Of course, other forumites would ask him to show a picture or video of his incredible guitar, and he finally did. The guitar looked pretty cool and seemed to be reasonably well made. The guy, bless him, obviously had some kind of mental health issue.

*edit* I tried to do a search for any posts on this guitar, but couldn't find it. :(

• Members

Heh, funny you should mention. When I joined HC years ago, there was an odd Canadian gentlemen who posted often in the DIY forum. He made a hollowbody strat-type guitar, but made all kinds of ridiculous claims harmonics and resonance and so forth, as if his strat was the Stradivarius of electric guitars. Of course, other forumites would ask him to show a picture or video of his incredible guitar, and he finally did. The guitar looked pretty cool and seemed to be reasonably well made. The guy, bless him, obviously had some kind of mental health issue.

When people post stuff like this, I wish we had links to the old posts.

• Members

Ha! I remember that. He went on and on about how when he rubbed the top it made whale noises.

• Members

It's because the Lalapaloser Nation of the 1990's lowered the standard in guitar playing, composition and musicianship.

Most of the music / bands of that era has already faded from memory.

The Music Industry blamed downloading for years. Truth be told, the majority of music downloaded from the internet, was music created between 1964 to 1992.

Since 1993, the industry has signed disposable bands and music. No wonder MTV doesn't feature any new music anymore.

Since 1993, the guitar was used as a prop to look cool .... Can we say Grunge, Korn, Limp Bizkit or Blink 182, much.

• Members

I love S,S,H, guitars.

In the bridge slot (depending on the wood), I love putting a Dimarzio Evolution, X2N, Dragonfire Screamer, 1970's / early 1980's Bill Lawrence XL-500, Carvin M22SD, Seymour Duncan JB or a Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb.

Middle ....

Dimarzio Fast Track 2, Dimarzio Chopper, GFS Lil Killer ( 15k ohms version), Dragonfire Duo Rail, Bill Lawrence L 250 or Dimarzio Fast Track 1.

Neck ....

Dimarzio YJM / HS 4, Dimarzio Fast Track 1, Dimarzio Chopper, Dragonfire Duo Rail, Bill Lawrence L 250 or GFS Lil Killer ( 10k ohms version).

What's your favorite pickup combination on a S,S,H, guitar ?

• Members

love mine have 3 strats 2 HSS 1 SSS

dont like the SSS much it's an original 1985 metallic red Fender Japanese strat ,it plays awesome and the neck is a dream to play! but i need the HB pickup in the bridge i play rock/metal/punk mostly and that is what i need

im selling the japanese strat for the simple fact that i have 2 others that i like better,and dont want to mod a nice OG Jap Strat and would rather sell it to someone who likes the guitar in OG form.,plus dont need 3 strats!! lol

fetch?filedataid=125156

fetch?filedataid=125158

fetch?filedataid=125161

• Members
I love S,S,H, guitars.

In the bridge slot (depending on the wood), I love putting a Dimarzio Evolution, X2N, Dragonfire Screamer, 1970's / early 1980's Bill Lawrence XL-500, Carvin M22SD, Seymour Duncan JB or a Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb.

Middle ....

Dimarzio Fast Track 2, Dimarzio Chopper, GFS Lil Killer ( 15k ohms version), Dragonfire Duo Rail, Bill Lawrence L 250 or Dimarzio Fast Track 1.

Neck ....

Dimarzio YJM / HS 4, Dimarzio Fast Track 1, Dimarzio Chopper, Dragonfire Duo Rail, Bill Lawrence L 250 or GFS Lil Killer ( 10k ohms version).

What's your favorite pickup combination on a S,S,H, guitar ?

Funny that you should mention Dragonfire Duo Rails, I just got a set of 3 of them and put them in my SX Strat. I like them a lot, and they're dead quiet. They're 12.2k ohms each.

I like Janick Gers white Strat with the black jb jrs in the neck and bridge, and a Rails pickup in the middle. I was going for that look. But I don't think I'll get the jb jrs, these Duo Rails are good enough for me

Al74zJX.jpg

pEbIYfR.jpg

• Members

Funny that you should mention Dragonfire Duo Rails, I just got a set of 3 of them and put them in my SX Strat. I like them a lot, and they're dead quiet. They're 12.2k ohms each.

I like Janick Gers white Strat with the black jb jrs in the neck and bridge, and a Rails pickup in the middle. I was going for that look. But I don't think I'll get the jb jrs, these Duo Rails are good enough for me

Al74zJX.jpg

pEbIYfR.jpg

Back in 2009, I couldn't find any late 1970's / early 1980's Bill Lawrence L-250 pickup and I wanted find a new sweet - but mean stacked humbuckered.

The Dragonfire Duo Rail surprised the hell out of me , it has all tonal properties that I love in a BL L-250, Dimarzio Chopper , Dimarzio YJM / HS 4, Seymour Duncan Cool Rail or a classic but mean PAF humbucker.

I've had gear snobs ask me what kind of pickup it was, they were blown away by tones it gave and that it cost less than $ 20.00.

It was in the neck position on my Heavy Metal S,S,H, guitar, I put a switch on it and man it gave me a classic SRV tone.

I've ordered six, most range between 11.73k ohms to 12.64k ohms and they are up there with any pickup you care to ask about.

• Members

Back in 2009, I couldn't find any late 1970's / early 1980's Bill Lawrence L-250 pickup and I wanted find a new sweet - but mean stacked humbuckered.

The Dragonfire Duo Rail surprised the hell out of me , it has all tonal properties that I love in a BL L-250, Dimarzio Chopper , Dimarzio YJM / HS 4, Seymour Duncan Cool Rail or a classic but mean PAF humbucker.

I've had gear snobs ask me what kind of pickup it was, they were blown away by tones it gave and that it cost less than $ 20.00.

It was in the neck position on my Heavy Metal S,S,H, guitar, I put a switch on it and man it gave me a classic SRV tone.

I've ordered six, most range between 11.73k ohms to 12.64k ohms and they are up there with any pickup you care to ask about.

Yeah, they're awesome, especially for the price. I got a set of three for $49.

In another Strat-type HH guitar, I replaced the stock hummers with a $25 set of Dragonfire Screamers, they were a definite improvement.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 6/16/2017 at 5:30 AM, Ratae Corieltauvorum said:

Jeez Tom, you should offload that Orange one now, it's so passé

You said this two years after I left and now I see it three years later. LOL

Still rockin' the orange Strat with 9s tuned half a step down and a Floyd Rose. 😋

image.thumb.png.9b912e8e10900bc4c2c77f5c28bb9797.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

This is the latest incarnation of my ‘01 Squier “humbuckerstrat.” I took the Lace Sensor-loaded pickguard I had on another S-type guitar, and I had some metal screws and connecters that you can put two Lace Sensors together with and make a Dually. So I got a hum-sing pickguard from GuitarPartsOnline, and put the red LS bridge and Silver LS Middle Pickup together. A blue LS is in the neck position.

The bridge Dually has a really fat sound, and the blue LS in the neck always sounded good with an amp that didn’t turn neck pups into mud.

Lr7kPBm.jpg

• Members
On 6/10/2017 at 11:24 AM, dick wiggins said:

Can an HSS strat "roar" like expected?

A powerful loud Humbucker like an Dimarzio Evolution or a Seymour Duncan JB ( 13.6k ohms to 17k ohms ) pickup in the bridge can have a pickup like ranging from 12k ohms to 13k ohms stacked Humbucker that can achieve a semi close tone of a classic single coil.

To me, a Bill Lawrence L 250 has some nice mid range, upper mids of slightly lower mid scooped and twangy single coil.

• 1 month later...

Archived