the only reason to have lots of guitars

jjpistols

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends.

Some session guys feel they need a variety of guitars to cover a number of different sounds. One day you might be called on for rockabilly. The next heavy metal. The next could be spaghetti western surf rock.

Used to be session guys in L.A. and Nashville woud have "coffins" follow them around from gig to gig. They were rolling road cases that had five or six guitars in them. I don't know if that still happens anymore. That's a lot of $ for cartage. When I was recording jingle work in NYC 20 years ago the session player mentality was to carry one or two guitars and a custom pedal case. Most of the time I'd take the output of their little custom rig to a direct box then right into the patchbay. Made sense to do it that way in the City.

Of course, that was jingle work and some "demo" work I was doing. I'm sure these guys had roadcase rigs ready with a couple more guitars and their own amp when they were doing album sessions.

Anyway, I can see why a busy session player woud truly need say, five or six different electrics and a couple varieties of accoustics to do the job.

• Members

It's currently a hobby and as such I don't need ANY guitars, so I'll resemble your remark. If I did gig however, I would disagree. You can't change tunings on a floyd rose (not on the spot) and it's probably a bad idea as a so-called "professional" to show up at a paying gig without a backup, despite the low likelihood of needing it.

• Members

I own what I own because I enjoy playing them all. I could technically get by with playing just one guitar...hell, I could just not play at all. But at the end of the day when I want to just kick back and make some noise and unwind it's nice to be able to pick up a guitar and relax.

Depending on my mood and mindset I may just be in a funk with that first guitar or even the second one.

With my modest collection I can usually find one that is going to fit my current mood and when I play it there will be some inspiration.

If not then I just sit my ass on the couch and watch some TV.

• Members

I need atleast 4 min. Each would have a floyd rose, and I play in a few different tunings, and it's a bitch to change tunings. One in standard, one a half step down, one in D standard, and one for any other odd tunings out side of those, for like stuff in open G and other open tunings.

• Members
is because you want lots of guitars

you don't need all the different tones - you don't sound like all those different artists on all those different records - you really don't have to fill niches, musically - you're not an artist with lots of colors, you play guitar

you would get the job done on one guitar, if you had to

you just want to have lots of guitars

nothing wrong with it, if you admit it -- justification and excuses are silly, though

:blah:

Jeesh, glad I'm not married to you............... what a ballbuster.:cop:

My darling wife bought it hook, line and sinker.:p

(after dislodging her foot from my ass that is):facepalm:

• Members
My darling wife bought it hook, line and sinker.
:p

(after dislodging her foot from my ass that is)
:facepalm:

Yeah, I don't know what it is, but wives just seem to hate guitar collections. I mean, they think that closets are for clothes, and that extra money should be used for stuff that they like... Mine just doesn't have a sense of humor about guitars at all!

Maybe I just need to start collecting wives???

• Members

That's what I like about you JJ... you call things as they really are and reveal truths that some of the rest of us don't want to admit.

No, we don't need all those guitars, but without them what point would there be to hanging out at HCEG???

jj is a cantankerous young man who doesn't like consumerism or kids on his damn lawn. He will one day be the most interesting guy in the old folks home. The rest of us will be yelling at the cute nurse to "TURN IT UP!!!!" when the oldies station is playing Sultans of Swing.

• Members

Sounds like I'm lucky to have a supportive wife. Before we had kids I bought whatever I wanted and my wife encouraged me to do so.(Motorcycles, guns, electronics) I'm a little more subdued because of the kids, I just do sidejobs to pay for my hobbies now.

Archived